Grabbed it with both hands

the maoster:
Good luck YT. If it excites you then you’ve made the right choice. You may well end up hating it but at least you’ll not be wondering “what if……”. Anyway, even if you don’t like it you don’t have to stay. Look on the bright side, you’ll soon embrace the smell of ■■■■ and cabbage :smiley:

All the best mate

Edit to add; the beauty of this job is that the load tips and loads itself. Win win.

To be fair, the smell of ■■■■ and cabbage is nothing new as I have stopped in some right horrible places in my truck matching this description, as you say I will give it a go and if it isnt for me well I will just re evaluate the job. thanks for the reply

Go for it. Better to try and fail. I did express work only. I tried It last year did not last a week cant deal with the public anymore. As mentioned above you need to be a people person and have good memory. Always have a wing man in your tour group. Someone who knows the members and chat to solve problems.

WheelsofCardiff:
Go for it. Better to try and fail. I did express work only. I tried It last year did not last a week cant deal with the public anymore. As mentioned above you need to be a people person and have good memory. Always have a wing man in your tour group. Someone who knows the members and chat to solve problems.

Good advice, appreciated

I will update this post end of next week to let everyone know who may be interested. I am looking upon it as I am away on holiday too. I may well be oblivious to what I am in for but it sounds pretty exciting to me so far, lets see when the reality kicks in. I did my hour asswsment drive today in one of the coaches and I have to be honest I am chompin at the bit now, they are so luxurious I was gobsmacked.

stu675:

cav551:
I have never done it but from what I have read the downside is the accommodation in the hotels. The complaints arise from the difficulty sleeping because of the noise.

How can any* hotel be worse than sleeping in a cab?

*I.e. one that is being used by a tour company to send people on holiday to.

Sounds great YT, enjoy your holidays!

Don’t some of these modern coaches have a sleeping compartment adjoining the luggage area ?

Looked into a stint on this circuit some time ago but got kyboshed for being unjabbed.

manalishi:

stu675:

cav551:
I have never done it but from what I have read the downside is the accommodation in the hotels. The complaints arise from the difficulty sleeping because of the noise.

How can any* hotel be worse than sleeping in a cab?

*I.e. one that is being used by a tour company to send people on holiday to.

Sounds great YT, enjoy your holidays!

Don’t some of these modern coaches have a sleeping compartment adjoining the luggage area ?

Looked into a stint on this circuit some time ago but got kyboshed for being unjabbed.

That would be great for the 2 man 21 HR driving, but can’t believe any company would make you stay in that on tour!

At least we can claim that we might be pregnant and get an exemption from the clot shot now that it’s declared no longer safe.

stu675:
That would be great for the 2 man 21 HR driving, but can’t believe any company would make you stay in that on tour!

No the sleeping pods are purely for two man driving to get rest before taking over, once at the destination you sleep in the hotel for the duration of the stay the same as the guests. already got that sorted as I wasn’t sure how it works. I was told a lot of drivers dont use the pods as too cramped, they simply go to sleep in the seat.

Yorkshire Tramper:

stu675:

No the sleeping pods are purely for two man driving to get rest before taking over, once at the destination you sleep in the hotel for the duration of the stay the same as the guests. already got that sorted as I wasn’t sure how it works. I was told a lot of drivers dont use the pods as too cramped, they simply go to sleep in the seat.

The pods are awful, like being in a coffin. Or at least how I imagine being in a coffin would be :laughing: and that’s after contorting your body in unnatural ways to get in them.

Yorkshire Tramper:

jakethesnake:
School trips, mainly ski flyers. Reference my second point… the teachers go awol and switch off leaving you to deal with any issues with the kids.

I doubt that happens very often for obvious reasons and if it was happening to me I would NOT let it happen. EVER.

I have been told we have plenty of these sking trips to Switzerland booked in and my name is definately on a few of them. Its taking the rich kids away with school.

Sorry perhaps AWOL was the wrong way of saying it. They’re still around but their sense of responsibility goes AWOL I often found. So you do have access to people of authority, they just dampen their enthusiasm for a bit of authority when needed with bottles of wine…

I hope you’ll soon be feeling like you’re on holiday every day Yorkshire Tramper! :smiley: :sunglasses: Good luck with it all.

Ignore the negativity, just go and do it, for as long as you enjoy it. At the end of the day it’s something else to put on your curriculum vitae.

Star down under.:
Ignore the negativity, just go and do it, for as long as you enjoy it. At the end of the day it’s something else to put on your curriculum vitae.

My thoughts exactly that, thanks for the input

driveress:
I hope you’ll soon be feeling like you’re on holiday every day Yorkshire Tramper! :smiley: :sunglasses: Good luck with it all.

:smiley: :smiley: ha ha yeah nearest I will get to that driving, cheers.

I wanted to be a coach driver when I was younger as I liked the green uniform? Anyhow I had the chance to drive National Express coaches as Go SouthCoast ran the airport runs but they changed it so if you went across from the buses it was permanent & it was 40hr week. I couldn’t do EU tours though, my brain wouldn’t be able to cope with driving on the wrong side of the road. :open_mouth:

You’ll stay smart & clean, be the font of all knowledge, agony uncle, get lots of sweets & stuff from the grannies lol. Some people you’ll hate, others will make it the best thing ever. I was told I looked like DI Arnott by one passenger :laughing: .

Be prepared for hen parties

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
I wanted to be a coach driver when I was younger as I liked the green uniform? Anyhow I had the chance to drive National Express coaches as Go SouthCoast ran the airport runs but they changed it so if you went across from the buses it was permanent & it was 40hr week. I couldn’t do EU tours though, my brain wouldn’t be able to cope with driving on the wrong side of the road. :open_mouth:

You’ll stay smart & clean, be the font of all knowledge, agony uncle, get lots of sweets & stuff from the grannies lol. Some people you’ll hate, others will make it the best thing ever. I was told I looked like DI Arnott by one passenger :laughing: .

Be prepared for hen parties

Sweets and hen parties, cant wait

If the old dears offer you peanuts or almonds dont eat them.!

alamcculloch:
If the old dears offer you peanuts or almonds dont eat them.!

Omg yes!!! A driver told me about one of the drivers kept being given peanuts by a sweet old lady. He was horrified to discover the reason. She liked chocolate peanuts but would only ■■■■ off the chocolate. :open_mouth:

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
She liked chocolate peanuts but would only ■■■■ off the chocolate. :open_mouth:

Double entendre there. :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

toonsy:

Yorkshire Tramper:

stu675:

The pods are awful, like being in a coffin. Or at least how I imagine being in a coffin would be :laughing: and that’s after contorting your body in unnatural ways to get in them.

So safe to assume they’re not built for the outlandish concept of driver rejuvenating considerations :angry: I find this disturbing given the responsibilities inherent with the job.

have a go in the coffin bed and update us. i notice the National Express buses have a tiny window to let light into that bed area its near the engine how could anyone sleep ■■