Grab Tippers

andrew.s:
You’ll only get 12 ton payload on a 6wheeler,just about 16ton on an eight legger

Is that 12t with a Thompson body? The boss prefers them as we’ve had no trouble at all with the 8wheeler. Payload not massively important this time like it was with our Isusu. We deliver to builders who have small loads on that but never have a machine on their jobs big enough to load either our 6 or 8, and go elsewhere for grab hire. They do keep telling us that they’d use us if we bought a grab though.
Looks like we’d go for a Daf, the MAN TGMs look too underpowered.

d4c24a:

Muckaway:
I was in Gill Mill on Thursday, picked up 2x loads of crushed tarmac with the 6w. I was on the 8w the week before, I think I loaded some golden flint. The 6 spent all that week on the sick list, again. Who do you drive for, one of the bulk hauliers?
Regarding the split load compartments, you could use the grab and stack a couple of tonne up against the headboard and a bit more against the tailgate. If you used the grab to offload you could keep the loads separate I suppose.

We have tarmac up front , stone on the back and the muck in the middle servicing R&M gangs on the water

any jobs on the backfill work mate I’m in London and looking very quite at the moment .

d4c24a:

Muckaway:
I was in Gill Mill on Thursday, picked up 2x loads of crushed tarmac with the 6w. I was on the 8w the week before, I think I loaded some golden flint. The 6 spent all that week on the sick list, again. Who do you drive for, one of the bulk hauliers?
Regarding the split load compartments, you could use the grab and stack a couple of tonne up against the headboard and a bit more against the tailgate. If you used the grab to offload you could keep the loads separate I suppose.

We have tarmac up front , stone on the back and the muck in the middle servicing R&M gangs on the water

any jobs going on the backfill work .

Not many 6wheelers for sale at the moment and truck trader was down earlier. Have noticed how basic those MAN TGMs are. They don’t even have electric passenger windows. I guess they’re ex rental and thus the agency guys operating them aren’t trusted. :laughing:
Many of the trucks advertised don’t even show interior photos, which say to me “dirty ■■■■ hole.”

d4c24a:

What are your opinions and experiences of Iveco Trakkers? Seen a lot what look like ex Docwra ones for sale. Are they cheap for a reason or are they just undesirable? Apart from driving an awful Eurocargo about 3 years ago I have no knowledge of Iveco.
Are the ex Docwra ones knackered?

Muckaway:

andrew.s:
You’ll only get 12 ton payload on a 6wheeler,just about 16ton on an eight legger

Is that 12t with a Thompson body? The boss prefers them as we’ve had no trouble at all with the 8wheeler. Payload not massively important this time like it was with our Isusu. We deliver to builders who have small loads on that but never have a machine on their jobs big enough to load either our 6 or 8, and go elsewhere for grab hire. They do keep telling us that they’d use us if we bought a grab though.
Looks like we’d go for a Daf, the MAN TGMs look too underpowered.

sorry for the late reply-only just noticed your question!!
ive used a couple of cf 75 six wheelers and they had epsilon cranes and Thompson bodies,and they were nearly bang on 14 tons tare weight.that was quite a while ago though and they all seem to be a bit heavier these days.

Muckaway:

d4c24a:

What are your opinions and experiences of Iveco Trakkers? Seen a lot what look like ex Docwra ones for sale. Are they cheap for a reason or are they just undesirable? Apart from driving an awful Eurocargo about 3 years ago I have no knowledge of Iveco.

the main problem with ex docwra ones is they will be fitted with HMF cranes.nasty cheap things- save yourself the grief and get an Epsillon.much nicer to use and much better quality-if I was buying a grab I wouldn’t consider anything else

just give them our number nathan…lot cheaper for you lol

tippermaster:
just give them our number nathan…lot cheaper for you lol

About time you sandblasted your tipper sides Ace. Just seen your Saf :laughing:
Don’t worry the gaffer’s against 8w grabs so we don’t step on your toes. :laughing:

Muckaway:
I gather the crane has to be specially insured and inspected as a lifting device?

Yes mate :wink:
Cranes come under the LOLER & PUWER regulations.
The Lifting Operations Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER) are set of regulations created under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
LOLER requires that equipment and Lifting accessories ( Shackles, Slings, Eyebolts, etc.) to be thoroughly inspected every 6 Months and Lifting Machines ( Cranes, Hoists, Chain Block etc.) every 12 Months. This frequency may vary according to the environment in which the equipment is working in.
Provision and Use of Working Equipment Regulations (PUWER)

The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations also came into force in December 1998 (SI 2306). Every aspect of lifting equipment, from the smallest shackle to the biggest crane, will come under PUWER 98 regulation 5:

(1) Every employer shall ensure that work equipment is maintained in an efficient state, in an efficient working order and good repair.
(2) Every employer shall ensure that all lifting machines have maintenance report and this report is kept up to date.
Regular Periodic inspections and weight lifting test have to be carried out by a competent person.
Equipment covered would include , cranes, ropes, slings, hooks, shackles, eyebolts, grabs.
hth . :wink:

get the qualification. Very valuable. Demand for HGV with hiab drivers outstrips supply. If working for an agency ad £1-£2 ph for the hiab ticket.
Take the traing seriously. Learn to say, “I’m sorry, Sir, but I’m only insured to do roadside deliveries. I know you want me to reach over and put this pallet of bricks on the other side of your Bentley/Lamborgini etc but I am not very clever.”
Make sure your training covers you for both remote and fixed controls.
Make sure you always put your stabilizer legs RIGHT out
on pads
avoiding man-hole covers etc.
avoid overhead cables
You will have to renew hiab licence every 5 years
it contributes to your DCPC
Stop dead when the Mum, buggy and toddlers squeeze through between you and the hedge.

Muckaway:

d4c24a:

33 new 8 wheelers are have started to roll out , and break down , iveco again , short muckaway bodys that are no good for our work really , and still only single extension cranes :confused:

Is the single extension crane purely for cost cutting or is there no need big need for it on utility work?

Muckaway:
Is the single extension crane purely for cost cutting or is there no need big need for it on utility work?

there is a big need for the extra reach on utility work-1or 2 metres extra reach can save a lot of handball!!

Muckaway:

don,t see any other reason for it , all it does is make you try and get to places you should not :unamused:

It looks like Iveco are out, I asked our fitter today for his thoughts on them. He hates them, says the electrics (particularly the wiring harnesses) are amongst the worst on a truck. He gets to work on a few as he repairs a lot of horse boxes.
Automatic Dafs are out as I’ve heard yet another example of one needing to be replaced; Smiths 11 plates have both needed them plus a subbie we know has an 09 plate that has had a new one too.
Automatic MANs are out. I’ve driven one. :laughing:

“New Big cab” Renaults has more electrical issues - like ABS and engine smth errors and days in service than old Volvos.

Just had a butchers on Com Motor, found two motors but one is an absolute monstrosity… A Hino with very few miles on a 12 plate. The other is the “Avatar” Scania ex Doyles. I’ll tell the boss about the Hino… :laughing:

Boss went and had a look at some 6wheelers the other day, all Dafs. One on an 07 the grar change was stiff as, so a no no. The second on an 08 looked good, drove well but had concrete smeared and dried all inside the body (agency driver, council operative or both) which would be marvellous on wet muck. The third which had the lowest mileage, had the best bodywork and a little used crane was an automatic.

Muckaway:
Boss went and had a look at some 6wheelers the other day, all Dafs. One on an 07 the grar change was stiff as, so a no no. The second on an 08 looked good, drove well but had concrete smeared and dried all inside the body (agency driver, council operative or both) which would be marvellous on wet muck. The third which had the lowest mileage, had the best bodywork and a little used crane was an automatic.

Get the concrete shot blasted off and give it a good thick enamel paint job.