Government to ban old tyres... new boots (and panties)

New tyres…

msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/gov … d=msedgdhp

Got an email on this from the Office of the Traffic Commissioner no less!
As I understand it, it will apply only to steer axles, but there seems to be conflicting information out there.

This is possibly a response to an incident where a coach tyre failed . It turned out that the tyre was seventeen years old. A passenger died he was younger than the tyre.

Oldish news.

But is related to some.coach crash years ago trye was fully legal. Just old and it rotted away.
When you buy a new tyre it has a date stamped on it. Date of manufacture.
Have 10 years from. Then.
Although how anyone can have a tyre last 10 years is beyond me really.

edd1974:
Oldish news.

But is related to some.coach crash years ago trye was fully legal. Just old and it rotted away.

Most caravans on the road will be on original tyres, local to me are the Pea Viner Groups, the vehicle operators have lorries parked up 10 months of the year and only come out in dry weather, low loader tyres, recovery trucks, vintage motorcycles, my own tyres are original and 46 years old, the bike hasn’t done 1000 miles yet.

Much of the damage will be done by moisture getting in and rusting the steel bands, but I think a blanket ban will be hard to enforce. I notice on the MOT of our kids cars, both cars are marked as slightly perished in advisories, there is so much meat left though.

edd1974:
Oldish news.

More old tyres than you can “shake a stick at”* out there.
I agree not many on heavy vehicles that need to earn their keep, but horse boxes, campers and caravans do precious little miles per year.
.*in any rythmn

Franglais:
I agree not many on heavy vehicles that need to earn their keep, but horse boxes, campers and caravans do precious little miles per year.
.*in any rythmn

Doesn’t rubber lose some of its quality though over time, especially if kept outdoors?

Wheel Nut:
Much of the damage will be done by moisture getting in and rusting the steel bands, but I think a blanket ban will be hard to enforce. I notice on the MOT of our kids cars, both cars are marked as slightly perished in advisories, there is so much meat left though.

A blanket ban is dead easy. Make checking the date part of the MOT and part of the construction and use regs the same as tread depth is and set a limit of 10 years. Anything over 10 years old is therefore an automatic MOT fail and also illegal to use regardless of the tread depth. Allow enforcement by 3 points and up to £1000 fine the same as a bald tyre.

Plenty of tread means nothing if you drive down the road and the sidewalls give out. Had that on a camper we bought, tyres looked fairly fresh, plenty of tread on, almost unused and one day the wife was out in it and a sidewall let go fortunately as she was coming up to a roundabout so low speed and she was able to crawl it to somewhere safe. Checked the date and suffice to say all four tyres and the now used spare all got changed before it went out again.

ETS:

Franglais:
.*in any rythmn

Doesn’t rubber lose some of its quality though over time, especially if kept outdoors?

Yes.
Look at old tyres and they often have micro cracks and tiny splits all over. They look “dried out”
Bit like my face.

Franglais:

ETS:

Franglais:
.*in any rythmn

Yes.
Look at old tyres and they often have micro cracks and tiny splits all over. They look “dried out”
Bit like my face.

Mate of mine had to use his spare tyre on his 20-ish year old Z3 BMW - it was still the original one, never taken out of the boot. It exploded at the first roundabout.

Banning tyres purely on time will stop any vintage shows, fairgrounds, re-enactment displays, Goodwood Revival. London to Brighton etc. there needs to be some leeway.

There is a factory in Clermont Ferrand who manufacture vintage tyres & sizes, a tyre and tube can cost up to £350 each for a 1920 Bugatti or 1950 Hillman Minx

Wheel Nut:
Banning tyres purely on time will stop any vintage shows, fairgrounds, re-enactment displays, Goodwood Revival. London to Brighton etc. there needs to be some leeway.

There is a factory in Clermont Ferrand who manufacture vintage tyres & sizes, a tyre and tube can cost up to £350 each for a 1920 Bugatti or 1950 Hillman Minx

Keep rare original tyres to “show” on the vehicle. Put newer wheels and tyres on for public road use.

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

Keep rare original tyres to “show” on the vehicle. Put newer wheels and tyres on for public road use.

You’re volunteering then I take it to change over all the tyres from 36x8s to 900x20s on an eight wheeler after Gaydon?

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

I get that, but just getting so fed up with these pillocks coming up with superfluous rules & regulations, there will be two other pillocks sat in their office in Gaydon and Dorset who says you cannot change wheels on site due to elves and stupidity.

This ruling has come about because a coach had a blowout on the front end, a new tyre can have a blowout if you drive it over too many kerb edges or rebar in a construction site.

Wheel Nut:

Why should those vehicles be not subject to the same rules? As you say there’s companies making reproduction tyres and the cost of them pales into insignificance with the value or money spent restoring the vehicle. I certainly wouldn’t want to risk having a blowout and knackering a car worth five figures or more because a tyre went pop due to age.

Wheel Nut:
This ruling has come about because a coach had a blowout on the front end, a new tyre can have a blowout if you drive it over too many kerb edges or rebar in a construction site.

But it’s not just one coach. It’s also many many motorhomes, camper vans, caravans and trailers. Saw one the other night, a well old caravan on the hard shoulder, sidewall shredded.

Conor:

Wheel Nut:

Why should those vehicles be not subject to the same rules? As you say there’s companies making reproduction tyres and the cost of them pales into insignificance with the value or money spent restoring the vehicle. I certainly wouldn’t want to risk having a blowout and knackering a car worth five figures or more because a tyre went pop due to age.

An assessment of the value to the economy of Historic vehicles plus other factors.

classicandsportsfinance.com … 5-billion/

The new regulations will apply only to front axles of lorries and coaches, and to ALL wheels on minibuses.
I don’t know how to post a link, but if you go onto the Gov/DVSA website it’s all there.

Well I think it’s a good thing I don’t ever put old tyres on my steer axles or cheap ones but I’ve no problems putting 1983 Michelin’s on the drive axles of the classic lorries rather than new cheap ones .

edd1974:
Oldish news.

1. They’ve literally only just passed the legislation so it’s not that old

2. Easy in bus and coach world to have tyres over 10. Some do very very few miles

I think It’s a good and needed piece of legislation. Won’t be many transport companies it affects but lots of coach companies