Government to ban old tyres... new boots (and panties)

Wheel Nut:
I get that, but just getting so fed up with these pillocks coming up with superfluous rules & regulations,

Tell that to the family of the lad who died because of a tyre younger than he was.

If you can’t afford a set of tyres once every ten years, maybe it’s time to sell the vehicle? Sure, some heavies will cost a lot, but no-one ever said it was a cheap hobby did they?

Franglais:
If you can’t afford a set of tyres once every ten years, maybe it’s time to sell the vehicle? Sure, some heavies will cost a lot, but no-one ever said it was a cheap hobby did they?

This, a million times this!

Back in the day, we would be sent down to pick up a trailer half submerged in the puddles on the Dock Road, load it and go. Twin wheel blow-outs were so regular, we had to carry spares, and replace them as and when. Not a pressure issue, just aged tyres. How has it taken this long to decide that a decade old tyre is unsafe?
I remember flinging a blown out rim and tyre into a grass verge in a fit of pique, having replaced it on way to delivery. Was called into yard, and was pulling sheets off the load when I heard a loud bang outside. Boss screaming into work along the lane in his Merc drove onto grass to overtake parked trucks and hit the rim. :open_mouth: A very sorry looking car limped into yard. Was tipped and away before the inquest.
P.s is Sweet Gene Vincent the best track on the album?

i have been trialling a pair of tubeless wheels on the front of my 1953 bedford, the tyres i have been running were like new to look at but they have no dates on them and slight cracking on the side wall, so its off with them and on with some tubeless shiny new ones for the road trips, (and two new 19.5s are the same cost as 1 new 7.50 x20 ), the original wheels will be on for Gaydon as its going up on the merc but when we venture into euroland next year the tubeless will be on as we drive it about over there, and the worry is of the 65 year old split rims which also have riveted joints between the two piece wheel centres, with rust eroding the metal and the two times i know they have been shot blasted during the 18 years i have owned it the metal could be suspect, so tubeless it is. not too worried about the changing of them between trips, thats why i had children.

switchlogic:

edd1974:
Oldish news.

But is related to some.coach crash years ago trye was fully legal. Just old and it rotted away.
When you buy a new tyre it has a date stamped on it. Date of manufacture.
Have 10 years from. Then.
Although how anyone can have a tyre last 10 years is beyond me really.

1. They’ve literally only just passed the legislation so it’s not that old

2. Easy in bus and coach world to have tyres over 10. Some do very very few miles

I think It’s a good and needed piece of legislation. Won’t be many transport companies it affects but lots of coach companies

It’s not legislation yet, not even been put to Parliament to come up with the &one details.
Date marking is not a UK requirement at the moment, it’ a US DoT requirement, which means thet3 are millions of undated tyres still out there with servera years of life left in them or perhaps have expired the 10 yr time.

Apologies my mistake

switchlogic:
Apologies my mistake

Sorry Switchy…

I can’t accept that.

What you need to do in this intance is, copy and paste a whole pile of irrelevant but important looking waffle from the net.

Quote rubbish form a source that you can’t provide.

Argue that the legislation hasn’t actually been passed and the government have got it wrong again.

Make sure each post takes up two thirds of the page which makes it look,like you know what you’re talking about.

Then I can accept your apology. :smiley:

uncle told me he once had a puncture at Yarmouth on a sunday so his wife gathered a whole lot of weeds and other plants and they stuffed out the inside of the tyre with that and drove back on it to Norwich.This was a car mind you

Loving a bit of Ian Dury in the title.

Ken.

This is what i came across today, this was on the very back axle on a tri axle box trailer, i did defect it. I do agree, any tyre A decade old should be replaced.

6D251B18-7986-4E06-AD98-EC90E80AC4E3.jpeg

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:
Banning tyres purely on time will stop any vintage shows, fairgrounds, re-enactment displays, Goodwood Revival. London to Brighton etc. there needs to be some leeway.

There is a factory in Clermont Ferrand who manufacture vintage tyres & sizes, a tyre and tube can cost up to £350 each for a 1920 Bugatti or 1950 Hillman Minx

Keep rare original tyres to “show” on the vehicle. Put newer wheels and tyres on for public road use.

I get that, but just getting so fed up with these pillocks coming up with superfluous rules & regulations, there will be two other pillocks sat in their office in Gaydon and Dorset who says you cannot change wheels on site due to elves and stupidity.

This ruling has come about because a coach had a blowout on the front end, a new tyre can have a blowout if you drive it over too many kerb edges or rebar in a construction site.

Yes, I can remember reading about it and I don’t think it was proven the age of the tyre was the cause of the blowout. It seems sensible on PSVs but I think the environmental cost does need to be considered when looking at a total ban and is probably massively underestimated.

Quinny:

Ken.

Well spotted…

Dunno, it just seemed right to type it that way.

Quinny:

Ken.

As we are talking elasticity in tyres, we may as well have the lyrics.

I’m spasticus, I’m spasticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I wibble when I piddle
'cause my middle is a riddle

I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I dribble when I nibble
And I quibble when I scribble

Hello to you out there in Normal Land
You may not comprehend my tale or understand
As I crawl past your window give me lucky looks
You can be my body but you’ll never read my books
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m knobbled on the cobbles
'cause I hobble when I wobble
Swim!

So place your hard-earned peanuts in my tin
And thank the Creator you’re not in the state I’m in
So long have I been languished on the shelf
I must give all proceedings to myself
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus
I’m spasticus autisticus

54 appliances in leather and elastic
100 000 thank yous from 27 spastics
Spasticus, spasticus
Spasticus autisticus
Spasticus, spasticus
Spasticus autisticus
Spasticus, spasticus
Spasticus autisticus
Widdling, griddling, skittling, diddling,
fiddling, diddling, widd

Own Account Driver:

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:
Banning tyres purely on time will stop any vintage shows, fairgrounds, re-enactment displays, Goodwood Revival. London to Brighton etc. there needs to be some leeway.

There is a factory in Clermont Ferrand who manufacture vintage tyres & sizes, a tyre and tube can cost up to £350 each for a 1920 Bugatti or 1950 Hillman Minx

Keep rare original tyres to “show” on the vehicle. Put newer wheels and tyres on for public road use.

I get that, but just getting so fed up with these pillocks coming up with superfluous rules & regulations, there will be two other pillocks sat in their office in Gaydon and Dorset who says you cannot change wheels on site due to elves and stupidity.

This ruling has come about because a coach had a blowout on the front end, a new tyre can have a blowout if you drive it over too many kerb edges or rebar in a construction site.

Yes, I can remember reading about it and I don’t think it was proven the age of the tyre was the cause of the blowout. It seems sensible on PSVs but I think the environmental cost does need to be considered when looking at a total ban and is probably massively underestimated.

" Surrey coroner Richard Travis pledged to issue a so-called Rule 43 letter to the Ministry of Transport alerting them to the perils of old tyres.
Mr Travers said that the “catastrophic failure” of the tyre had caused the accident and he recorded a verdict of accidental death.
He said: "The real explanation that this tyre failed so catastrophically is through age.
“I formally announce that I will be writing a rule-43 report to draw attention to the Minister for Transport of the very dangers caused by the fact that vehicles, be they private, commercial or public are legally able to drive on tyres without restriction on age and by reason of age are potentially in a perilous condition which there is no realistic means of detecting.”

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:
Apologies my mistake

Sorry Switchy…

I can’t accept that.

What you need to do in this intance is, copy and paste a whole pile of irrelevant but important looking waffle from the net.

Quote rubbish form a source that you can’t provide.

Argue that the legislation hasn’t actually been passed and the government have got it wrong again.

Make sure each post takes up two thirds of the page which makes it look,like you know what you’re talking about.

Then I can accept your apology. :smiley:

DAMMIT! Of course! One day I’ll get the hang of this TruckNet nonsense, to be fair I’m a newcomer, I’ve only been on here 13 years and written over 10k posts* so there’s time yet!

• Honestly my life isn’t as boring as that stat makes it sound

You don’t need an MOT after 25 years, so ban as many tyres as you need, brake pipes will rust through, ball joints will separate, linings will come off shoes etc etc. Lead based paint will poison your kids if they lick the wheel rims, asbestosis has already got me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the most common truck tyre sizes in the past and still fitted to lots of restored trucks are 900 x 20 cross ply. There is only one company making these in Europe now and the alternatives are made in China and one chap I know has had two blowouts with nearly new ones. After being made in China they could well be stored before ending up in a container for the cruise to the UK. Once here they could be stored again before going to the final dealer who will sell them. IT will be interesting to see how many of the 10 years are left on them when you buy them.

UV (sunlight) is a great degrader of tyres. We have a five year limit on tyres, for all vehicles, any position.

Wheel Nut:
You don’t need an MOT after 25 years, so ban as many tyres as you need, brake pipes will rust through, ball joints will separate, linings will come off shoes etc etc. Lead based paint will poison your kids if they lick the wheel rims, asbestosis has already got me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 yrs?
Not true.