Government Solution to Driver Shortage

eagerbeaver:
Morning German fancier. Apologies for not staying awake long enough last night. You bored me to sleep.

Erm…where were we? Oh yes. How long have I lived in Germany? What on earth has that got to do with anything?

As usual, rambling garbage from you. I asked you to tell us why you thought Germany was so great. You dodged the question by intimating that you are ’ mentally superior '.

The bottom line is this. I am British. Lots of well documented problems in our country. But to desert your own land, and proclaim on a UK forum, that Germany is better, suggests to me that you are morally challenged. Combine that with your negative and unpleasant comments in the newbie forum, simply prove the type of person you are.

And if you wish to delude yourself that I am no match for you, then stupidity is another string to your under equipped bow. Oh…and stop bloody private messaging me. As you can see, I don’t message you back. Get some pride and/or friends lol.

So
I never wrote anything disrespectful
And
You have never lived in Germany

Ie you are a stupid Beller whose opinion in this particular subject is actually not worth much.

I didn’t realise the schools were back already. Get a room ladies :stuck_out_tongue: .
Their either is a shortage or there isn’t, I suspect there is and its countrywide. Why should any government help an industry that has sat on its collective hands & done bugger all about a possible crisis that has been mentioned on here for years? It looks like all those thousands flooding in to the country haven’t taken up the slack, yet. Maybe all the truckers they’ve been hitching lifts with have put them off, to the extent that they’d rather work in a kebab shop on a weekend in Liverpool, rather than drive a lorry for a living.
For me the way forward would be to have transport companies train prospective drivers from within their own staff, I know some do it already & it works for them.

Bach home:
No apology and no answer, guess eagerweener IS Pathetic then.
:astonished:

How long have you been in the fatherland? It hasn’t taken you long to pick up their ways has it? “I vant an answer and I vant it NOW!”

Perhaps they should offer prisoners an early release if they are prepared to train as a HGV driver. :open_mouth:

:sunglasses:

DAF_MAN:
I’ve read that the government are being asked to intervene and somehow solve the problem of a driver shortage over the next few years.

What do you think they will do? Encourage pay rises to attract more drivers? Reduce red tape and possibly scrap the CPC? Maybe they will look to fill the gap with automation or drivers from overseas.

My guess is that they will wait until the precise moment I have completed my Class 1 training, funded by yours truly, and then they will subsidise training so it’s free to anyone wanting to get started. Just my luck.

Cheers

I just heard that a big Agency extended a Contract and shortened the minimum Hour to 4 Hour,and the Company they work for scrapped the 45 min Break on the 5,5 Hour Shifts. As the empty Milage gets cut with moving Jobs to another Depot there will be more (shorter) Shifts from Autum on.

Prisoners and migrants maintains the distorted chain of command .drivers can’t even do a crossword .so untrained sectors with time and motion clipboards make it more attractive .put your hi VI’s on or drivers (you) won’t see you.vehicular manslaughter

Internal promotion would be possible if anyone wanted to be a driver .two years nights .better sticking to the easy depot jobs .no thrombosis .no heart attack at 50 .there’s usually one or two who have lots of kids or a mad wife .so these positions are filled however undesirable

burnley-si:
1.Company must change insurance rulles and abolish -MUST HOLD LICENCE AT LEAST 2 YEARS. its the insurance that requires this not the company
2.Tax office must allow to people claim tax back if he passed licence.Can save up to 800 quid. just get a high tax code for 1yr
2.Company must change work stile and not give start time for drivers from 2300 till 0300. now i have picked myself up off the floor from laughing, i forgot what i was going to put
4.Change driving assestment rules. WHY these should be made harder, and should be make to do more reversing on the test
5.Scrapped fixed penalty system. YES like that one :grimacing:

(1) The insurance is more expensive with drivers of less than 2 years continuous experience. They said yes - but at high cost. This is therefore not an insurance requirement at all, as they stand to do quite well out of it in higher premia. It’s the company being tightwads.

(2) Tax back? - Every expense essential “for the performance of the driver’s job” should be offset for tax purposes. It’s the fact that it’s NOT that has made me hostile to the entire concept of tax offsets these past near five years I’ve been on agency, only to be booted off or disallowed one reasonable expense after another. The lack of expenses for us ordinary folk is a strong driver for me going back to full time of course.

(3) I’ve done very nicely out of being able to work stupid O’clock starts, nights, weekends, & bank holidays. I’ve just done 23 hours over the past 2 days for example, for nearly a whole week’s pay right there… :smiley: :sunglasses:

(4) I don’t agree that assessments should be harder. What SHOULD be more vigorous is the induction training one does when starting at a new yard. Why give someone a driving test all over again when they’ve got the damned licence - it’s knowing the ropes around any particular yard that is the issue, and most of that is about site hazards and varying work practices in my experience.

(5) Fixed penalty system? - What for? It’s one thing to park on a double yellow, but going through a 30 speed camera at 45? - I’d say the system is too soft, and more could be raised in revenues by giving “bang to rights” culprits the choice of (1) Fine and that’s it or (2) Appeal, and you get points and a larger fine.

Too many of the public in general will NOT pay over any kind of money - unless forced to by a court. We’re a nation of tightwads.
Choice of “Pay £20 fine now cash” and it’s “OOOoh I’ll go through my insurance legal cover…” Ok, even if you win - you face higher premiums to a lot more than a measly £20 you couldn’t stomach opening your wallet to cough up FFS… Got no sympathy for such people. :imp:

Immigrant:

DAF_MAN:
I’ve read that the government are being asked to intervene and somehow solve the problem of a driver shortage over the next few years.

What do you think they will do? Encourage pay rises to attract more drivers? Reduce red tape and possibly scrap the CPC? Maybe they will look to fill the gap with automation or drivers from overseas.

My guess is that they will wait until the precise moment I have completed my Class 1 training, funded by yours truly, and then they will subsidise training so it’s free to anyone wanting to get started. Just my luck.

Cheers

I just heard that a big Agency extended a Contract and shortened the minimum Hour to 4 Hour,and the Company they work for scrapped the 45 min Break on the 5,5 Hour Shifts. As the empty Milage gets cut with moving Jobs to another Depot there will be more (shorter) Shifts from Autum on.

They are taking the ■■■■. Walk away, and find another agency who actually pay YOU to work for them. :angry:

Winseer:
It might be better for the likes of us drivers to make enquiries about “How to become a government-sponsored instructer”…

WHO exactly is expected to train all these would-be newbies otherwise? :wink:

What training :question: :question:

In 32 years since being a class 1 licence holder , the only training I got and all my fellow colleagues at the yard - was on the job -learn as you go.
Whatever advice and tips you learnt/learn from olde hands' is a bonus :wink: . ,"Theres the keys drive - your motors parked over there somewhere and heres your paperwork- see you next tuesday " :laughing: , You were and still are , only taught how to pass your test. Everything else in the 5 year period is dcpc attendance qual - nowt learnt much there i can say.
Which is a complete joke when a fella can attend the same course spec for a day 5 times and still attain their licence . :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:
Granted we`re general haul uk/euro - so no hiab / hazchem required or needed, which is where probably extra training may require.
Given that some fekkers on ere know it all, is there really owt much else to learn ? :grimacing:

tin hat supplied for health and safety :unamused: :grimacing:

Even some decent induction training would be nice.

How many prangs, RIDDORs, and even deaths occur - “cos the new bod didn’t know their way around the yard, and run someone over/squashed them against a skip/damaged parked vehicles” etc etc…

indian train.jpg Don’t worry new drivers are on their way.

We’ve just had 7 trainees sitting with us day drivers for the last 10 days, they were all plucked from the dole office, all training, medical fees, CPC and test fees paid by the government, and they are guaranteed a job at the end. So it looks like they are trying to find a solution to the driver shortage. Mind the kid that was with me did’nt seem so enthusiastic after a few 4am starts.
Regarding the UK v Germany debate, give me Germany any day!

I was looking at returning to driving after 6 years in another job. but the cost of digi card / cpc training / medical has really put me off. I havnt ruled it out yet as I do miss being on the road.

It’s a con for training there’s thousands already who won’t run bent for 9 pound an hour

I reckon the London official taxi drivers are under the most threat right now.

With Uber you get any old git with a satnav who doesn’t know his way around his arse with both hands - let alone around London, circumventing having “The Knowledge” and all that.
Plus, the threat to women that’s implied with an always-male olive complexioned barely speke English guy who’s just gone down the wrong road that is a dead end to the boneyard rather than to the cocktail party you thought you were going dressed up to the nines to as a girly.

“TFL stickered” plain cars acting as “Pre Booked Taxis”. What a daft idea THAT is. How do you get your Cab licence? - You buy it. NO vetting, NO roadworthy checks to be done every day on private TFL vehicles (judging by the number of them you see with headlamps out, brake light not working, and smoking like puffing billy…)

Before we can forgive Old labour for New Labour - we need to destroy and roll back all the bully that New Labour put in place. Opening the doors is their fault. Not shutting them again is down to those who refused to vote UKIP. :imp:

Remember “Old Labour” have not won an election since Ted Heath handed over power to Harold Wilson after the tie of 1974. (Confirmed with a majority later that year, 2 elections in 1974)
They couldn’t bare to do the coalition thing then. Maybe someone was afraid of what might be dug up in the Delphinius Quadratum. :smiling_imp:

unemployed c+e driver here.

no companies are interested.

and i had to pay for my license and cpc out of my own pocket

bloody joke :cry:

Where in the UK are you mate?

Evolved:
unemployed c+e driver here.

no companies are interested.

and i had to pay for my license and cpc out of my own pocket

bloody joke :cry:

Brakes are recruiting Yate, Tamworth, Aylesford - and maybe others as well. Check out your local depot. :slight_smile:

Winseer:
Brakes are recruiting Yate, Tamworth, Aylesford - and maybe others as well. Check out your local depot. :slight_smile:

Class 2 is better than nothing. thanks!