Government HGV test process change?

stu675:

ROG:

TruckerGuy:
How long is the training to be then? Still 4-5 days?

As it is now, you do let’s say 4 days rigid, then 4 days artic, so I would hope on the training side of things, it became 6 days, given there is only 1 test and not 2 now. I’d want to be comfortable driving whatever I’m taking my test in, and not have half the time I would now to get used to it…

1988 - I did car to artic in 7 days with test on day 7
Was with a straight 6 gearbox and a 30 foot flatbed trailer :exclamation:

What’s the exclamation [emoji779] for?

These days it is usually a full size box trailer so you cannot look out the back cab window

Ok.

A thought …
If the intention of many trainers is to use a rigid for day 1 then go onto artic for the rest of the course the rigid is going to be standing/not earning for most of the time unless there is one rigid to perhaps 5 artics with each course starting on a different day

I wonder if simply having no rigids but getting a 20 foot artic trailer is the answer for the start of the course is a solution :question:
At least that way only a small trailer(s) will be standing idle when not in use :bulb:

I don’t see the point of any rigid training before taking a test on an artic.
Seems to me like learning on a motorbike & sidecar before your motorbike test.

stu675:
I don’t see the point of any rigid training before taking a test on an artic.
Seems to me like learning on a motorbike & sidecar before your motorbike test.

I would be surprised if it doesn’t become a requirement to have some time in a rigid vehicle prior to moving on to an artic.

In my opinion, not much will change other than there being no requirement to undertake a driving test on a rigid vehicle.

I may be wrong though.

So the thought now for folks is the price of courses, if the figures being muted around from training schools is true…2500k-3000k mark, seems a lot for one test.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
So the thought now for folks is the price of courses, if the figures being muted around from training schools is true…2500k-3000k mark, seems a lot for one test.

Not if there is still a requirement to do training on Class 2 and then Class 1 vehicles.

My expectation (and this is only an opinion) is that you will still need to undertake training on a rigid before being moved on to an artic once the instructor deems you competent to move on.

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:

Not if there is still a requirement to do training on Class 2 and then Class 1 vehicles.

My expectation (and this is only an opinion) is that you will still need to undertake training on a rigid before being moved on to an artic once the instructor deems you competent to move on.

Or use a very short trailer to start with :bulb: :question:

They cannot be much difference between the length of a standard 2 axle rigid and an urban artic :question:

Wait and see!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

My unlicensed and untrained tuppence is that at this stage, with the announcement from the govt recently, I am looking forward to just a C+E test.
Ive really no interest in C class when C+E is on offer, i want to just go straight in and do that.
I can think in a reverse similarity when in gaining my car license in a 1.0L Nissan Micra (which I did) and then being fully licensed to tow caravan and trailers and drive a 7.5t with sleeper cab and extended box(which i also did). Even worse I learnt/earnt my motorbike license on a 600, passed and went out and bought a 1050cc superbike

I always have been put off by the initial outlay of having to pay for a C course and then go and pay the same again for a C+E course, back to back to get the required license. I, as a new trainee, want to go straight in to C+E. It might be novel to train a day in a C, but cant help think I’d be wasting a day of my hard earned cash learning something I can worry about later.
I hope it doesnt become mandatory, nor sound too rude or arrogant, just offering my angle as a learner

If you are thinking that you’re going to get the C&E at half the price/same price as Cat C £1500k, think you’re in for a shock.

rearaxle:
If you are thinking that you’re going to get the C&E at half the price/same price as Cat C £1500k, think you’re in for a shock.

There’s a driving school not far from me that have already confirmed they will be charging £2500 for Cat C+E under the new process.

rearaxle:

Based on comments made by drivers who previously passed their C+E in that manner, cant see why not. Car driver, then 5 - 7 days training then test is possible (albeit not probable), thus reducing training days down by up to 50 % at face value. Its wishful thinking I know, but i read annecdotal evidence here that C training is not nessesary to pass a C+E test.

I am actually thinking of a direct route to C+E as opposed to a cash saving though

My intention has always been to do C+E, and I’ve already got an offer on artics lined up for after I pass.

My problem with the change is: when will it happen, and will any cost savings be significant?

Sure, an artic is different to a rigid, but a rigid is different to a car, so IMHO whether going car - rigid - artic or car - artic, I see little difference. Much of it comes down to mental attitude and aptitude, IMHO. It’s only harder if you think it is harder.

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:

There’s a driving school not far from me that have already confirmed they will be charging £2500 for Cat C+E under the new process.

So £1k saving?
Depending on what’s included.

stu675:

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:

So £1k saving?

Possibly. You can see the video they posted here. Please accept my apologies for it being Tiktok.

I have conversations all the time with trainers up and down the country. And I can tell you that most are far from sorted with pricing/course duration. And remember that the rules are yet to change. No-one knows when or the precise implications.

There will be some opportunists jumping on the bandwagon so look out for them. Select your trainer only having visited them and seen vehicles, reversing area and get a general feel for the set up. Apart from that, rock solid recommendation. The forum sponsor has zero negative reviews and is well worth considering. Not only a Trucknet user discount but free accommodation if more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

bugger.lugs:

stu675:

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:

So £1k saving?

Possibly. You can see the video they posted here. Please accept my apologies for it being Tiktok.

Yup that’s what I signed up for £2k for Cat C with an expectation of £1500 more for CE.
I think that £2500 sounds fair for both trainer and trainee I hope my provider changes to be similar.

Noremac:
Being slightly cynical, farming out the reverse and couple seems like a way of manufacturing a better pass rate. The couple takes five minutes and the reverse not much longer, so I don’t quite buy this argument of freeing up the examiners’.

You’d be surprised how long it takes to do the reverse and coupling, generally around the 15 - 20 minute mark, which over a 4 test day frees up around an hour.

So with a little tweaking of the on road element and completely farming out the CPC then DVSA will be able to fit another test in.

Hussar:

Noremac:
Being slightly cynical, farming out the reverse and couple seems like a way of manufacturing a better pass rate. The couple takes five minutes and the reverse not much longer, so I don’t quite buy this argument of freeing up the examiners’.

You’d be surprised how long it takes to do the reverse and coupling, generally around the 15 - 20 minute mark, which over a 4 test day frees up around an hour.

So with a little tweaking of the on road element and completely farming out the CPC then DVSA will be able to fit another test in.

Yeah, and the resulting test will likely have a higher pass rate because the number one reason for failed tests has been eliminated. No argument at all that the reverse and couple does take some time. I couldn’t say whether an extra test could accommodated in a typical day.