Government HGV test process change?

I’m in the middle of getting my class C license, but now I’m wondering if I should go for C+E. But I have the following doubts: I have passed my theory test and my 2 CPC tests too (theory and practical) for C Class. Are these tests valid for C+E too ? Or would I have to re-sit any of those tests again ?

kazordoon:
I’m in the middle of getting my class C license, but now I’m wondering if I should go for C+E. But I have the following doubts: I have passed my theory test and my 2 CPC tests too (theory and practical) for C Class. Are these tests valid for C+E too ? Or would I have to re-sit any of those tests again ?

Even under the current rules, you don’t have to resit your theory (multiple choice, hazard perception or CPC case studies) or Mod 4 tests again.

As per the current rules, you would need to pass a Category C test, then a Category C+E test.

Driver cpc is for all LGV not for specific categories of LGV

i do wonder if this is a money saving exersise for the cronies/ examiners. The training school I chose was a test center as well and the instructor told me that the examiners have to do a regular refresher course/test this included the reversing manouver and the hitch/unhitch of a trailer. Does anyone know if they had to pay for that?

Examiner competence is tested regularly at no cost to the examiner.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

What’s the use of the gov fast tracking the hgv test if when you do pass your test the dvla are taking on avarage 2 to 3 months to process paper hgv applications. Absolute joke they need to sort the dvla staff shortage out first to make this work

Pete S:

i do wonder if this is a money saving exersise for the cronies/ examiners. The training school I chose was a test center as well and the instructor told me that the examiners have to do a regular refresher course/test this included the reversing manouver and the hitch/unhitch of a trailer. Does anyone know if they had to pay for that?

Examiner competence is tested regularly at no cost to the examiner.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

thanks

It’s the small training companies that only do B&E and cat C training I feel sorry for.
I fear them going out of business.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Hope to give more information by the end of the week. In the meantime, I strongly suggest that everyone carries on as normal until more detail is known.

Good luck all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

kazordoon:

Theory and Both mod 2 and mod 4 cpc covers for both for all you’re hgv categories.

ROG:
but as most will want to train on artic as that is the type of vehicle they will be using then I thin it will be a case of LGV schools becoming artic only schools

My first reaction was something similar but I know a training school who have an ambulance and won’t be getting rid of that - the first question in the process of becoming a paramedic “Q: Do you have category C1 on your driving licence? If the answer is no, come back when you’ve got it”.
Also, if someone is going to fund a driver through training, eg the council, who may have lots of Class 2’s but no artics, they’ll be looking to do C only if it can be done more cheaply than C+E.

It depends on the training school and who their clients are, but I don’t see the C test and schools with rigids disappearing completely.

TruckerGuy:
Are they proposing that you can train directly in an artic? Does anyone even know the answer to this yet?

I suspect most training schools will start people off in a rigid for a few days before moving to artic, if only for the sake of the trainer’s nerves :laughing:

I suspect most training schools will start people off in a rigid for a few days before moving to artic, if only for the sake of the trainer’s nerves

From the many industry conversations I’ve had in the last few days, it seems very likely that folks will start on CAT C for a day or two before moving on to artic.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
From the many industry conversations I’ve had in the last few days, it seems very likely that folks will start on CAT C for a day or two before moving on to artic.

Was that ever an issue in the early days Peter because it did not seem to be back in 1988 when I did my old HGV class 1 (now CE) :question:

How long is the training to be then? Still 4-5 days?

As it is now, you do let’s say 4 days rigid, then 4 days artic, so I would hope on the training side of things, it became 6 days, given there is only 1 test and not 2 now. I’d want to be comfortable driving whatever I’m taking my test in, and not have half the time I would now to get used to it…

TruckerGuy:

As it is now, you do let’s say 4 days rigid, then 4 days artic, so I would hope on the training side of things, it became 6 days, given there is only 1 test and not 2 now. I’d want to be comfortable driving whatever I’m taking my test in, and not have half the time I would now to get used to it…

1988 - I did car to artic in 7 days with test on day 7
Was with a straight 6 gearbox and a 30 foot flatbed trailer :exclamation:

TruckerGuy:

My opinion is that it would be a similar time to what you’d do currently, just all in one go instead of in 2 blocks

Pete S wrote:

Was that ever an issue in the early days Peter because it did not seem to be back in 1988 when I did my old HGV class 1 (now CE) :question:

You will notice I was referring to conversations I have had - not my own thoughts. I spent well over 20 years training straight to Class One before staged training was introduced in 1997. On the whole, no problems. But traffic was lighter. And many candidates had been “in and around” trucks for years - with their Dad or mate down the road. That really doesn’t happen now - thanks to H&S. So most candidates have never sat in a truck, let alone have any knowledge as to their workings.

To set against that, trucks are much easier to drive than ever before. The test has been simplified almost beyond recognition. The steering ex has gone, gear ex gone, reversing made easier, controlled stop gone. The actual test is also much shorter.

But maybe the over riding factor could be that the huge majority of trainers have never trained from car to artic. They are only familiar with the current staged process. But I believe most instructors are adaptable and the new way of working will evolve as both trainer and candidates settle in.

Personally, I can see quite of sense in starting off (maybe for around 7 hours) in a CAT C. Get used to the general feel of a larger vehicle, it’s width and the feel of brakes on a loaded vehicle. Then, when comfortable, swap over to artic.

It’s up to every trainer to decide what they consider is best practice and, although I’ve offered an opinion above, I wouldn’t hesitate to change that if experience shows a benefit in another method.

Being slightly cynical, farming out the reverse and couple seems like a way of manufacturing a better pass rate. The couple takes five minutes and the reverse not much longer, so I don’t quite buy this argument of freeing up the examiners’ time.

I also think human nature dictates that training schools will prioritise the on the road aspect because that is the part examined independently and will be the obstacle needing to be overcome for a licence. Most people turning up want the bit of plastic for least cost and driving prowess is much lower down their priority list. As they are the ones paying, they will be specifying to the schools they want on the road training.

ROG:

TruckerGuy:

1988 - I did car to artic in 7 days with test on day 7
Was with a straight 6 gearbox and a 30 foot flatbed trailer :exclamation:

What’s the exclamation [emoji779] for?

I was hoping that the reverse and un/coupling test would be done and signed off by the instructor in the same way the CBT is

Any thoughts :question: