Government HGV test process change?

rearaxle:

BishBashBosh:

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:
Cat C cancellations will be coming through thick n fast as we speak

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I’ve got my Cat C booked for next month and have emailed my school to ask about the new changes and whether I can do C and C+E together.

Regardless of the outcome, I won’t be cancelling my Cat C, but it may be postponed depending on the result of the discussions.

I am a training provider and I know our office will be busy calling all prospective C bookings on Monday to see if they would rather train or wait for legislation to change. The unknown quantity is how long it will take for the changes to be implemented; will it be a week, a month, a year? In true DVSA fashion they haven’t stated a timescale yet are encouraging schools to discuss with candidates.

As I have outlined above, I would imagine that it is unlikely to have any significant cost nor time implications, other than one additional test fee to pay for. I think you may be wise to stick with the C and pop back for CE when it suits. :slight_smile:

So you saying 2500k roughly for Cat C+E -the Cat C test fee ,

Yes, I would estimate between 2.5 - 3k for C & CE. Location may have a bearing, but I would guess this figure would see you at a reputable school with a good reputation, modern fleet and adequate/professional facilities (such as an approved DVSA test centre). I could be way off the mark here, but this would be assuming current durations and costs are retained. For reference, we currently run a 2 day + test format for both C and CE courses. This would likely merge to 4 days + test for the average Joe.

Some schools may offer options depending on prior experience, some may do assessments to gauge confidence/standards before advising a suitable course duration.

The one area that could make a difference is providers signing off the reverse/coupling procedures. If you have a candidate with prior experience of using/shunting trailers then it is unlikely they will require as much time practising these elements, thus shortening the course and possibly reducing the cost. Once these have been signed off it can be forgotten about and focus turned to on-the-road driver training.

ROG:
My thoughts are with all those B+E only schools who have immediately been out out of business and with LGV schools who will either be selling off their rigids or adding tow balls to them for W&D CE but as most will want to train on artic as that is the type of vehicle they will be using then I thin it will be a case of LGV schools becoming artic only schools

Mine too.

I would imagine that we will still have customers who only want C - it is no different to those who still stick to just a C1. I’ve listed a few reasons in my posts above.

For example, local authorities for refuse wagons - I would be surprised if these were funded to go straight to CE. They have no requirement for it, it will likely cost twice as much and they are giving their employees licences that they could use elsewhere.

I have cat C already but I’m curious to know if it would be possible to pass the off road manoeuvres in one place and then the driving part somewhere else, with another company.
As Mod 4 is separated from the practical test then I wonder if it can be done the same way with reversing/coupling.

The reason I’m wondering if that could be possible is that off road manoeuvres could be passed/signed off in an artic and then the driving test itself in a W+D.

dead.duck:
I have cat C already but I’m curious to know if it would be possible to pass the off road manoeuvres in one place and then the driving part somewhere else, with another company.
As Mod 4 is separated from the practical test then I wonder if it can be done the same way with reversing/coupling.

The reason I’m wondering if that could be possible is that off road manoeuvres could be passed/signed off in an artic and then the driving test itself in a W+D.

As I’m reading it dead duck, there is no test for the uncoupling/coupling its just a road test now.

First post so please be kind, and hopefully this isn’t too stupid a question but…
I have Cat C lessons and test booked for October. My understanding was that on passing Cat C test I would gain provisional entitlement to to Cat CE. If I want to do C+CE combined in one test will I have to send my license off again to get CE provisional entitlement added?

rearaxle:

dead.duck:

As I’m reading it dead duck, there is no test for the uncoupling/coupling its just a road test now.

That isn’t correct; it will still be included, however delegated assessors within authorised training schools will be able to sign those elements off, meaning DVSA examiner may only be required for on-the-road assessment.

The regulation has yet to be written. But the principle (at the moment and subject to change at any time) is that you could pass the reverse and coupling/uncoupling with one trainer and take your test on another configuration of CE with another trainer.

There’s much to be sorted yet and, whilst I’ve never known stuff move so quickly, it will probably slow down soon as it hits the legal teams.

On another matter: every trainer can establish their own way of working. From the many conversations I’ve had with trainers, the concept of going from car to artic isn’t sitting well. So you may well find that some trainers will offer, say, a couple of days C training and then move on to CE. The argument is that this will ease folks into the large vehicle with maximum comfort and efficiency. (I’m not sure if I follow this thinking personally).

For anyone in the system wanting to change, be aware that waiting lists are huge nationally and, all of a sudden, folks will expect their course duration to be doubled. Anyone can see that’s just not going to happen. I would encourage everyone to speak with their chosen trainer and discuss options.

These are very strange times and the industry is reeling from todays’ announcement. It’s reeling even more from the details behind it that, sorry, I cant disclose on a public forum. But some shocks are on their way.

Deep breaths everybody, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I hope further announcements come soon! Without definite time scales for the proposed plans, leaves many like myself in limbo, likewise the training providers. Obviously I need to have a chat with my training provider. I hope they are able to adapt and offer me a suitable outcome. I’ve always worked things out by controling the controllables. Sadly at the moment I control nothing. My goal was always to gain C + E. With this announcement, In the short term I see little point pursuing C. If offered, my preference would be to postpone my training until further announcements are made.
Any suggestions on how to play this would be welcome.

Well after what Pete has wrote it seems everything ain’t cut n dry just yet.

Typically my luck that my training with Pete’s team starts on Monday with my test on the 17th so I’ll have to fork out twice, one of those things I guess!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

What a time to want to become a HGV driver…

Do you think if I asked a school (forum sponsor… hint hint) that I wanted to do C and C+E together in anticipation of the changes, that it could happen? Even if my first job isn’t on artics, I’d want to do the licence anyway.

Do you think if I asked a school (forum sponsor… hint hint) that I wanted to do C and C+E together in anticipation of the changes, that it could happen? Even if my first job isn’t on artics, I’d want to do the licence anyway.

Sorry, cant be done as you dont hold a provisional CE. I have no idea how DVLA/DVSA are going to deal with this trivial detail!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Typically my luck that my training with Pete’s team starts on Monday with my test on the 17th so I’ll have to fork out twice, one of those things I guess!

That’s not quite the case. The new “straight to CE” course will be around the total of the current C and CE combined. And I imagine the fees will follow the same pattern. So you’re not wasting money - just making a part payment if you like.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

Sorry, cant be done as you dont hold a provisional CE. I have no idea how DVLA/DVSA are going to deal with this trivial detail!

I must admit to being unsure how tongue-in-cheek that is?

Right now, the pattern is rigid - test - Cat. C - add trailer - test - Cat. C+E, right?

So the new form would be rigid then add trailer then test with trailer, giving Cat. C+E straight away?

Are they proposing that you can train directly in an artic? Does anyone even know the answer to this yet?

Well I failed my C last week and have a retest booked for the 28th September! Seems pointless if that cat would become obsolete in the event of a future CE pass. Any advice on this guys? I would call my training provider but I would imagine they are snowed under this morning

Are they proposing that you can train directly in an artic? Does anyone even know the answer to this yet?
TruckerGuy

I know the answer! Yes, it will be possible to go direct from car to artic - as we always did prior to 1997.

The only thing that no-one knows is timescale. This has yet to be sorted.

i do wonder if this is a money saving exersise for the cronies/ examiners. The training school I chose was a test center as well and the instructor told me that the examiners have to do a regular refresher course/test this included the reversing manouver and the hitch/unhitch of a trailer. Does anyone know if they had to pay for that?

TruckerGuy:

My bet would be that you’ll have to start in a rigid and can progress on to an artic (or wagon & drag) once the instructor deems you competent, instead of needing an examiner to say you’re competent.

It’s still going to cost you around 3k to get a C+E

ED80E1DE-793A-4DDB-9732-BADD7F3D1F5F.jpeg