Government HGV test process change?

When anything is done “in house” is there really any fails?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

maybe someone that has or had a trainschool can correct me but as far as i can see that you could have the availability to do 1000 tests a day but if each training school can only produce 10 people a week its a little pointless.

rearaxle:
When anything is done “in house” is there really any fails?

If implemented correctly and assessed by responsible outfits then there should be - it is only nature that nerves get the better of some when they are being tested.

ROG:
I was hoping that the reverse and un/coupling test would be done and signed off by the instructor in the same way the CBT is

Any thoughts :question:

with respect i hope not for 2 main reasons.

1. when i did my training the cpc bit the training school tested me on was done in 10 mins of acctual tuition. ie this is a ratchet strap, this is a load bar they work like this you would use it for loads such as… we were then given a folder to read through and one of the girls in the office came out and tested us on her tea break with the list of questions the examiner could use. As a result i turned up to my first shift at my first job not knowing how to use a taillift (never used one) and wondering how to strap stuff that was too low to be strapped using the anchor points on the side of the lorry (none on the floor)

2. Last night we had a cbt hero (moped on l plates) out on the road he decided it was a wonderful idea to squeeze up the outside of me when i was in the righthand lane of a rounderbout with the righthand indicator on waiting for the lights to turn green. He obviously realised he was in a precarious situation because the second the lights turned green he guned it and promptly crashed into the kerb in the middle of the rounderbout. He may of passed his cbt but obviously no real road sence or control of the bike.

As with many things - you learn more post test and also post test there are no compulsory checks

It is not impossible to teach all you need to know but how much are you prepared to pay for that :question:

ROG:
As with many things - you learn more post test and also post test there are no compulsory checks

It is not impossible to teach all you need to know but how much are you prepared to pay for that :question:

I dont expect every possible senario covered but would you be happy sending someone out that has had 10 mins training on how to hitch up a trailer.

obviously it would be more than 10 minuettes training but the point stands.

i would hope that a compleatly independant person from the place that taught you the procedures would do the testing

Just been in a meeting with DVSA. It is clear that no changes to licencing or test are going to happen very soon. No timescale is available at the moment.

So my message is “business as usual”.

Good luck all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Just been in a meeting with DVSA. It is clear that no changes to licencing or test are going to happen very soon. No timescale is available at the moment.

Sound Bytes for Peston then?

Good for me I guess! How can I kick DVLA?

Pete S:

So if this is the case, the shortage will actually get worse because many people will probably decide to wait now so they can go directly to Class 1 :laughing:

shullbit:

Pete S:

So if this is the case, the shortage will actually get worse because many people will probably decide to wait now so they can go directly to Class 1 :laughing:

I just had the same thought and to be honest I have REALLY considered waiting! After reading what Pete HAS said I’d rather carry on with C…

So £1k saving?
Depending on what’s included.

Possibly. You can see the video they posted here. Please accept my apologies for it being Tiktok.

Yup that’s what I signed up for £2k for Cat C with an expectation of £1500 more for CE.
I think that £2500 sounds fair for both trainer and trainee I hope my provider changes to be similar.

Same(ish) here
I paid £1,850 for my Cat ‘C’ and had a quote of £1,160 for my Cat ‘C+E’
£3,110 in total, this included medical, Theory and Hazard Perception, 5 Day CPC course & Digi Card.

Omega:

So £1k saving?
Depending on what’s included.

Possibly. You can see the video they posted here. Please accept my apologies for it being Tiktok.

Yup that’s what I signed up for £2k for Cat C with an expectation of £1500 more for CE.
I think that £2500 sounds fair for both trainer and trainee I hope my provider changes to be similar.

Same(ish) here
I paid £1,850 for my Cat ‘C’ and had a quote of £1,160 for my Cat ‘C+E’
£3,110 in total, this included medical, Theory and Hazard Perception, 5 Day CPC course & Digi Card.

Talk is its going to be around 32 hrs training car to C&E

Hi

Been following this site on and off for a couple years trying to decide if LGV is something I would like to do. Had always been wary of multidrop so class 2 didn’t really appeal. Plus some uneasiness about class 1 reversing was putting me off, not to mention having to do C first then C+E. So the new changes (if they go ahead) have sparked a renewed interest.

There is a couple of points that have intrigued me. Would be interested in what trainers think.

1. How would the reversing and coupling/uncoupling work in practice? Let’s say first attempt (more so for C than C+E I suspect) you nail it. Will the assessor immediately sign that off as a pass or would they want to see consistency over 3 or 4 attempts. If someone keeps making a mess off it how many attempts does the assessor allow before a serious talk has to take place as to their suitability for the job?

2. I wonder if the following scenario is a possibility. A training school could offer maybe a one day course. During this you get an assessment drive in both C and C+E, practice the reverse and uncoupling and get signed off on it. Assuming like theory test it has a validity of a couple of years. You can now look at booking driver training (even with a different trainer) and the focus only needs to be on driving out on the road. If a trainer hasn’t got any bookings then potentially a good way to keep the business active. Although by all accounts looks like there is not going to be a shortage of business for some time! Some smaller trainers might even see this as a better business in just focusing on the assessment process. Obviously I’m assuming the regulations would allow for this. They could say that the driving test has to take place within 5 days of being assessed for reverse and coup/uncoupling.

3. The other thing that concerns me with the rush to become a driver is how long before there is not enough work to go around? A lot of people end up getting their class 1 but can’t use it?

Cheers.

Training is likely to be one course with one test at the end of it
That training is likely to be about 9 days with a few days on C then the rest on CE with a CE test on the last day
The cost is roughly going to be the current C and CE course added together so very little saving

The total cost for going from B car to CE artic is going to be about £4k

I doubt any newbie in the near to medium future will struggle to find a LGV job but how good that job will be the issue because the higher paid good jobs are likely to go to the experienced drivers

From what I gather the reverse and un/couple part will be tested separately to the on road drive with the off road part being signed off by an assessor (perhaps the instructor)

I wonder if these changes are just a temporary measure due to current problems or if they will be permanent?

M70C+E:
I wonder if these changes are just a temporary measure due to current problems or if they will be permanent?

More likely permanent as the rules were changed by the EU not the UK

Some interesting conjecture in this thread! Industry is far from agreed on training durations, cost etc. And the issue of whether CAT C should be used before CE is even further from agreed!

I would wait for actual facts before making any decision.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Interesting suggestion from Labour party today - cost for training needs to done on the same lines as student loans
Good idea IMO

Think you can get student loans these days for level three qualification. Presumably if you enrolled onto operator cpc home study you might qualify. But LGV not deemed to be level 3 (A level standard). If you combined all the elements of LGV training it must equate to a similar amount of hours of learning.

Edit:
Advanced Learner Loans