Government CPC Consultation [Merged]

gov.uk/government/consultat … pc-changes

Looks like they want to split the CPC into 2 parallel qualifications, N-DCPC for UK only driving and a I-DCPC for international driving.
The idea of a short test of an hour or so instead of completing 35 hours looks like a winner.

Here’s a link if you want to respond
smartsurvey.co.uk/s/83TVES/

Hi all, not been on here for a while! Spotted this online and thought I’d share with you all.

gov.uk/government/consultat … pc-changes

The government are launching a consultation to look into possible changes to Driver CPC.

Effectively what they are proposing is that you will still have to do the CPC (renamed as an International CPC) in its current guise if you are planning on working in Europe, however if you only want to work in UK then you could potentially do a ‘Domestic’ CPC instead.

They are suggesting that instead of completing 35 hours of periodic training, drivers will be able to sit a multiple choice test lasting 60-90 minutes, costing between £40-£70 (provisionally).
Test passes will not count towards the ‘International’ qualification, and failing the test will mean you are unable to drive vocationally until you pass it.

The test could be a total of 50 multiple choice and situational judgement questions lasting about 1 to 1 and a half hours. The exact content of the new test would be developed subject to this consultation, but it is thought that as a minimum it will include knowledge and understanding of key safety related topics such as:-
drivers’ hours
loading and unloading
health and safety
tachographs
manual handling
defensive driving/eco safe driving
customer service
safe urban driving
disability awareness
counter terrorism.

There would also be a ‘Return to Driving’ training module for experienced drivers returning to the industry. This is planned to be a 7 hour course and could cover topics such as working time rules, tachographs and load security.

Thoughts?

I’m guessing this will be popular on here. However, I personally think it’s a terrible idea and will only lower standards due to a lack of ongoing training.

I think a better idea would be to condense CPC training if you’re renewing your qualification, similar to how an ADR refresher course is done. With ADR, a refresher course contains the same information but takes roughly half the time to complete and is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
Hi all, not been on here for a while! Spotted this online and thought I’d share with you all.

I’m glad you did, someone has to get the ball rolling so the usual crowd can start chanting “Scrap it Scrap it!” :laughing:

Thoughts?

In the last consultation I was one of many who suggested it needed to be much shorter

I’m guessing this will be popular on here. However, I personally think it’s a terrible idea and will only lower standards due to a lack of ongoing training.

I think it’s a much needed overhaul, it was a sound idea initially, but very badly deployed and we’ve been dealing with the consequences ever since.

I think a better idea would be to condense CPC training if you’re renewing your qualification, similar to how an ADR refresher course is done. With ADR, a refresher course contains the same information but takes roughly half the time to complete and is cheaper.

I don’t touch refresher courses for ADR: 99% of ADR drivers do not retain enough knowledge to do well in the exams, so it’s counter-productive IMO, my main focus on on the pass rates.

I don’t think many non-ADR drivers would jump at the option of a pass or fail DCPC test, but given that it’s optional, I think it is worth the offering. If it comes about I’ll be interested to try my hand at the test, even though I don’t need any DCPC until Sept 2029

EDIT: I doubt it would remove the FORS requirement for their specific Safe Urban Driving module, so drivers will still have to “get on their bikes” :laughing: (I know, it’s possible for those terminally unfit drivers to drive along behind the group in a car and just get out for the discussions)

Scrap it…

Scrap it.

Ah, good :laughing:

Everyone else, in your own time please :wink:

Yeh agreed…… scrap it, scrap it, scrap it NOW.

Zac_A:
If it comes about I’ll be interested to try my hand at the test, even though I don’t need any DCPC until Sept 2029

From Gov link:
“How important is the change?

Disadvantages

Not passing will prevent a driver from working.”

Does that mean that anyone taking the test, and failing, looses any time remaining on their existing card?
On one hand they might still have a few weeks or years left.
On t`other hand, they have voluntarily demonstrated incompetence. Should any existing card be nullified?

Given the aims of the proposals I would guess youd be OK to continue working and just keep having attempts until you struck lucky. At £40/70 and a couple of hours a pop, all but a total idiot would find it cheaper and quicker to go this route. Just guess until you get lucky. Total failure after multiple attempts? Stay awake for 5 x 7hr sessions and youre OK to drive National and International.
As ever, SFA to do with proper training and/or safety.

Zac_A:
it was a sound idea initially, but very badly deployed

Agreed.

Fell asleep reading it but did get the impression the motivation behind it was purely bums on seats.

Does anyone think it’s a worthwhile exercise

cav551:
Fell asleep reading it but did get the impression the motivation behind it was purely bums on seats.

What? For their offerings or for actual truck driving?
They know from the previous consultation how much drivers hate it, and how poor many of the courses and training providers are, and I think this is their effort to recognise that.

It was never going to be scrapped, so this is the next best thing I guess.

cav551:
but did get the impression the motivation behind it was purely bums on seats.

Agreed.
Much more about making things easier.
Quick test for those who are more competent/lucky, but teaching them nothing new. Or the same 5 modules with no testing at all for those who are unlucky at the multi guess paper.

I can`t see any appetite to make it worthwhile.
Darn It! A driver might miss a whole shift!

So finally, at long last, a consultation into the DCPC in its current format will hopefully conclude what a complete and utter pi55 take it is and has been from day one.

While in theory a pass/fail test is a better idea than an attendance based course, a previous CPC trainer told us that the last thing the Powers That Be would want is for a substantial percentage of the driver pool to be removed from the mix, so my guess is the difficulty level of a multiple choice exam will be similar to those competitions which are required under gaming laws to ask a “skill based” question, which normally goes along the lines of something like asking whether the Tower of London is in Paris, Rome or London.

I’m guessing the new DCPC format will award points to passing the “exam” by correctly spelling your name, correctly stating your date of birth, getting the date correct and writing with a biro and not a crayon. There’s four points.

robbo99.:
I’m guessing the new DCPC format will award points to passing the “exam” by correctly spelling your name, correctly stating your date of birth, getting the date correct and writing with a biro and not a crayon. There’s four points.

I kid you not, I had an ADR candidate not too long ago who, on the exam enrolment paperwork, managed to spell his name differently than what was on his driving licence :confused: When he failed two of his five exams he blamed me for not telling him what the questions would be. :unamused:

Zac_A:

robbo99.:

I kid you not, I had an ADR candidate not too long ago who, on the exam enrolment paperwork, managed to spell his name differently than what was on his driving licence :confused: When he failed two of his five exams he blamed me for not telling him what the questions would be. :unamused:

I can believe it. If the DCPC was similar to the ADR with an exam that has to have a fair degree of knowledge to pass it then to me that would be acceptable, but as stated maybe too many drivers would fail it. If it’s just an exam a 5 year old could pass then to me it should be scrapped.

Poor Switchlogic will be jumping off the nearest bridge :open_mouth:

Franglais:

Franglais:

Not passing will prevent a driver from working."

Does that mean that anyone taking the test, and failing, looses any time remaining on their existing card?
On one hand they might still have a few weeks or years left.
On t`other hand, they have voluntarily demonstrated incompetence. Should any existing card be nullified?

That’s how an MOT works.

Terry T:
Poor Switchlogic will be jumping off the nearest bridge :open_mouth:

Just not one near Bristol because apparently it’s taped off.

Harry Monk:
While in theory a pass/fail test is a better idea than an attendance based course, a previous CPC trainer told us that the last thing the Powers That Be would want is for a substantial percentage of the driver pool to be removed from the mix, so my guess is the difficulty level of a multiple choice exam will be similar to those competitions which are required under gaming laws to ask a “skill based” question, which normally goes along the lines of something like asking whether the Tower of London is in Paris, Rome or London.

Can I phone a friend on that one!