Got my first day on monday! can someone please answer these

I pretty much know the answer to these questions but just want to confirm with some experienced drivers. just to be sure. so if you could answer these for me that would be a great help. thanks guys

1. does other work on my tachograph go towards my daily driving time?

2. does period of availability go towards my daily driving time?

3. when should i be using period of availability?

4. how do i know if my load is within legal weight if i dont load it myself ?

5. do i need to weigh it myself and would there be equipment there?

6. also could you list me any procedures i might need to know of in loading bays as i`m doing agency work and am not used to the way things work?

any help would be brilliant guys

thanks

All the answers to your questions can be found here.

Hi iceroadtrucker, welcome to TN

To answer your questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. When you know in advance how long you’ll be waiting, you can stick the tacho on POA. I.e. If you get to a place and someone says "Sorry, wont be able to tip you for an hour, then you can have an hours POA.

4 and 5. Hard to answer these questions, every load is different, as is every combination of tractor unit and trailer. If you are well overloaded then you should spot this, but if you’re just a wee bit over then there is no way of knowing without a weighbridge really. A company should never send you out overloaded, but if you’re never sure, ask.

1. Again it’s a bit too generalised, there are many types of loading bays where you will be tipped, from your typical RDC set-up, to a step at the back door of a random company :laughing: No matter where you are, if you are unsure then ask someone, explain it’s your first time at a particular place and get them to give you the script for getting tipped etc.

Finally, enjoy yourself and take it easy :sunglasses:

Paul.

harey1983:
Hi iceroadtrucker, welcome to TN

To answer your questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. When you know in advance how long you’ll be waiting, you can stick the tacho on POA. I.e. If you get to a place and someone says "Sorry, wont be able to tip you for an hour, then you can have an hours POA.

4 and 5. Hard to answer these questions, every load is different, as is every combination of tractor unit and trailer. If you are well overloaded then you should spot this, but if you’re just a wee bit over then there is no way of knowing without a weighbridge really. A company should never send you out overloaded, but if you’re never sure, ask.

1. Again it’s a bit too generalised, there are many types of loading bays where you will be tipped, from your typical RDC set-up, to a step at the back door of a random company :laughing: No matter where you are, if you are unsure then ask someone, explain it’s your first time at a particular place and get them to give you the script for getting tipped etc.

Finally, enjoy yourself and take it easy :sunglasses:

Paul.

cheers mate, so let me just confirm with this example

lets say i drive 4.5 hours to a depot. i have my 45 mins break. i then do 2 hours other work or poa and then drive back for 4.5 hours. ( or 5.5 hours twice a week ). that would take my driving time to 9 or 10 hours. that would be ok yes?

also is there a minimum limit on poa? i.e if i`m only waiting 10 minutes etc?

this is a really daft one coz i`ve only just done a tacho and digi tacho course lol but on an anologue i do put the tacho in with my details face down to the dashbord yeah? haha silly question but have just forgotten lmao

cheers amigo

sorry dude one more little question.

when i`m driving and my tacho chart is in, how would i know if the tacho isnt working?

cheers

Yes mate that example is fine. As long as you dont exceed 9 (or 10) hours driving, and 15 hours overall (if taking reduced daily rest, 13 hours total duty if taking normal daily rest) you’ll be ok.

As for minimumPOA im not too sure about that. Coffeeholic and tachograph are the ones that can clear that up for you.

As for the analogue tacho…there are a couple of kinds. There is the newer version where the tray pops out like a cd player. This tacho goes in face up, and remember to tuck the tacho under the small white bit or else it might not record properly.

There is also the older ‘key-in-the-dash’ type tacho. I’ve only used it once and TBH I can’t remember which way it goes (I think it’s face down, not 100% tho) Again someone will be able to confirm this.

Hope this helps, Paul.

iceroadrucker:
sorry dude one more little question.

when i`m driving and my tacho chart is in, how would i know if the tacho isnt working?

cheers

A red light will come on so you will know that something is up

Welcome to TruckNet iceroadrucker.

As far as the POA is concerned, there’s no minimum limit you can book 5 minutes if you want.

In one of your posts above you mention having a 45 minute break then doing two hours work before a 4.5 hour drive back to base, this would take you to 6.5 hours working time, and legally you should stop and have a 15 minute break before going over 6 hours working time.

Have a good run :wink:

iceroadrucker:
lets say i drive 4.5 hours to a depot. i have my 45 mins break. i then do 2 hours other work or poa and then drive back for 4.5 hours. ( or 5.5 hours twice a week ). that would take my driving time to 9 or 10 hours. that would be ok yes?

Fine, but if you’re working nights (your shift touches in any way between the hours of midnight and 4am) then you cannot do any more than 10hours work (work does not include POA and breaks) in one shift unless there is a collective opt out.

POA is very vague, but if you are either told or already know due to previoius experience how long the wait is likely to be you can use POA, it’s also handy for splitting breaks if you don’t want to take a full 45.

As already mentioned, the casette type tachos the disc goes face up, the face being the side you fill in, it slides under the clear plastic tab at the top left of the tray which has the recording stylus in it, it’s evident as that’s the only way the disc would sit flat. The ones in the dash where the speedo opens up with a key you put face up too as the stylus is in the dash you can see it poking out so the face needs to against that.

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome iceroadrucker :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

[quote="iceroadrucker

and then drive back for 4.5 hours. ( or 5.5 hours twice a week ). that would take my driving time to 9 or 10 hours. that would be ok yes?

[/quote]

Sorry mate I´m no expert but in my understanding you can never drive for more than 4.5 hours without a 45 minute break.

Download and print this vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit … 202008.pdf at the very least it´ll help you get to sleep :laughing:

To get 10 hours driving in you’d need another 45 minute break.

But you could vary the driving times to even it out.

3hr 30 drive

45minute break

2hr drive

45 minute break

4hr 40 drive

Still 10 hours driving with 2x 45 minute breaks. Of course you can split the 45 into a 15 and follow it with a 30 as long as you don’t go over 4hr 30 before you complete the 45.

Depending on what the sort of work is you’ll soon work out which bits are applicable to you. By that I mean in my job I never have to worry about minimum daily rest periods or getting in 10hr drives. Working fairly regular hours and a fair bit of other work means that all I really have to worry about is not going a 4hr 30 without a 45

4hr 40 drive

I think 8wheels hit the wrong button on the keyboard :slight_smile: - He meant 4 hours and 30 mins drive :unamused: :wink:

It’s because I’m so quick I can get 4hr 40 minutes driving done in 4hr 30

8wheels:
It’s because I’m so quick I can get 4hr 40 minutes driving done in 4hr 30

I would put it down to the time lag on the site :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t think he actually meant driving 5.5hours, just that he’d get an extra hours driving twice a week, obviously he’d need another 45min break before driving the remaining hour if he does it all in one go.

Kiowan:
I don’t think he actually meant driving 5.5hours, just that he’d get an extra hours driving twice a week, obviously he’d need another 45min break before driving the remaining hour if he does it all in one go.

Maybe, but thats how I read it and for his sake its best that its clear since he asked the question.

P.S. I have to point out that I have not yet used a tacho (not yet worked as a professional driver :blush: ) so i don´t profess to be an expert, but I have read the rules.

iceroadrucker:
I pretty much know the answer to these questions but just want to confirm with some experienced drivers. just to be sure. so if you could answer these for me that would be a great help. thanks guys

1. does other work on my tachograph go towards my daily driving time?

No but it goes towards your WTD and your spreadover

1. does period of availability go towards my daily driving time?

No but it goes towards your spreadover

1. when should i be using period of availability?

Example: you turn up to joe bloggs factory,
you say, hello joe, i’ve got a load of [zb] for you
he says, grunt grunt, can’t get you on the bay for one hour, go and wait over there
you say, ok i’ll stick it on POA while i’m waiting :laughing:

1. how do i know if my load is within legal weight if i dont load it myself ?

common sense, if you think you are overloaded, find the local weighbridge and check…you’ll know if you are overloaded :laughing: …well you won’t but if in doubt check :blush:

Rule no.1: ask someone
Rule no.2: if your not sure ask again…“excuse me mate do you think this could be overweight?”

1. do i need to weigh it myself and would there be equipment there?

Do you mean your place of work? if they have a weighbridge then use it, if they don’t then use the closest public weighbridge, always remember common sense always prevails…if your on curtainsiders or supermarket work then there’s less chance of being overweight, but if your on bulkers or tankers there’s more chance :wink:

1. also could you list me any procedures i might need to know of in loading bays as i`m doing agency work and am not used to the way things work?

1- when you pull up to the security gate of where your tipping ASK where you have to go AND ASK where you have to book in with your paperwork

2- if there’s no gate pull up somewhere safe and ASK someone

3- Reversing onto a bay is like having ■■■, the first time you do it , it won’t go in but the more practice you get…it goes straight in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: or is that just me…it’s just me then :open_mouth:

any help would be brilliant guys

thanks

harey1983:
There is also the older ‘key-in-the-dash’ type tacho. I’ve only used it once and TBH I can’t remember which way it goes (I think it’s face down, not 100% tho) Again someone will be able to confirm this.

Hope this helps, Paul.

No, it goes in face up. i.e. So you can see the recording side and the details you’ve written in the centrefield. When the card is in place just fold the tacho head back and lock it in place.

hi guys had a snag today lol, first time i`ve used a cd style tachograph and guess what it didnt record!! did it manually this time but i need to sort it lol

i filled it in etc, put it in details side down and tucked the chart under the white lip. thought that was how this style of tacho was done? any ideas?