Got fined in France!, 2385 euros!

Hi,Guys
It’s my first post on here,but I’m a daily on forum. It’s happend to me the other day. Stoped by the Gendarmerie,at a exit of Rungis market. They gone through the whole tachos, al fine,all weekly breaks. After one and half hour,come back to me,and they said I’ve got a problem. Even if a got the weekly brakes taken, the 24 hrs and 45 hrs,cause I’ve haven’t the paper from company confirming the weekly rest,is not valid the weekly-brake. They said,I could be jumping in other truck and driving for 24 or 45 hrs,and got back to my truck to carry on. Is most stupid thing I ever heard. I been stopped many,many times by VOSA or,even the Gendarmerie,or BAG in Germany. To cut the story short,I been fined with 2385 euros, and need to pay,cause the wouldn’t release the truck, :slight_smile: . To not missed the cherry from the cake,they only accept cash or cheque, they not even bother to have a terminal,to be able to pay with credit card. Spend another £95 on transfers fee from W. Union. So,that was my ended,my last journey through France. Never take another load to France!!!

You can appeal and the fine will be refunded, you do not need a covering letter for weekend breaks they are trying to pull a fast one knowing that most foreigners do not appeal for a refund.

Thank you, Thata’s my intention,to do! It might be a long process to do this,but,what can I lose!!
Enjoy the life in Spain,ta,ta

I’m so glad I never went through with doing euro work all those years ago and stuck to the mainland here. All those fines and BS from the various authorities over there would’ve probably got me locked up for arguing with them a longggg time ago. The Frogs are corrupt as ■■■■, I don’t know how they get away with it in this day and age. I so hope you ‘get out’ of it ro trucker, I’d be raging. What are you going to do in the mean time before appealing it? How are you going to get your truck back if you can’t get the cash together? :frowning:

The woman Gendarmerie,so was so “relax”,pay the fine or they keep the truck. And the scenario to be complected,she said to me,she only can stay there for another 1hr,and they going to another location,about 35 kms,and they would take me with them,and when pay the fine,release the truck,and give back the passport and paper work. and my reload back to Uk,was, three streets away from Rungis market. To be honest,she seems to me,she could be botherd with me,one way or the other!!!

Vascoingles:
You can appeal and the fine will be refunded, you do not need a covering letter for weekend breaks they are trying to pull a fast one knowing that most foreigners do not appeal for a refund.

What Mr Vas says , happen to one of our driver, he isnt the sharpest knife in the draw , he got refunded .

I have never had anybother but our firm do give out letters explaining missing mileage, holidays ,

weekend etc , I always get them just to be on safe side .

Ro,you have paid a deposit for the court,it seems they were doing the rush tactic,to make you get the money faster by saying they had other things to do,i have been in that situation,and it can make you feel ill,and nauseuos,as the stress kicks
I think they are not allowed,to ceize your passport,as it belongs to the Queen,and it is not a legal document to aid foreign enforcement bodies,to use to hold you there,as you were not arrested,where is their proof and evidence for their fine.
Did you ask to see their hand book,that they should carry,it list the amount of the fine,the offence code,and all the legal stuff,it is up to the officer at the road side to decide how much you pay,it is their discretion.

Do you have a digital card,or were you on analogue tachographs.With the amount of foreign drivers at the market,it must be a favourite stalking ground,im not sure if they are on a commision,and get a bonus on a good week of pulling trucks.

I was stuck for a week in the Basque country,daily drawing the max amount from the ATM,I paid a small part with the running money,the fine was 2301,yes 01 at the end,that was how it was.Then wait for a wide load permit to get faxed to Vitoria,as the load had moved twice,the first time i had to pay for crane to come out to move a giant shipping winch.
One part, was for my ex boss who wrote in biro on my attestation activity form,i had not driven for over 6 months,but the red caps did not believe that,and made out i had a stash of dodgy forms that i could stamp up and keep driving,the 28 day rules say you keep the tachos for that period.
The fine was refunded when i got back to the uk,from the boss,i told him to do it correctly on the internet,and not write on it.

Does the Queen own your passport?

The EU Form of which I have clipped a section is for Annual Holidays, Sick Leave, or whilst driving an exempted vehicle.

Rest and other days off
The period of time unaccounted for between successive charts produced by a driver should normally be regarded as (unless there is evidence to the contrary) a rest period when drivers are able to dispose freely of their time. In the UK, drivers are not expected to account for this period, unless enforcement authorities have reason to believe that they were working. Nevertheless, on international journeys it is recommended that letters of attestation from the employer are provided for drivers travelling through other countries to cover any sick leave, annual leave and time spent driving a vehicle which is out of scope of EU’AETR rules during the preceding 28 days.

For any other time not working, such as weekly or daily rests, a manual record on a chart or a manual entry on a VU is recommended.

Someone has paid an unnecessary bond to appear in court for a non offence!

There are new rules coming in on the 4 December 2011 where the driver must carry an authorised attestation that they are allowed to drive that vehicle, but this is not the reason why this bond has been levied.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 087:EN:PDF

The French & Spanish used to get commission on fines to stop the ‘coffee money’ system.

Sounds like the lady Gendarme was trying to make a good impression to her work colleagues,or has just come out of training camp.
Without fail,when they stop me in France,i open the cab door,offer a firm hand shake,say bonjour monsieur,comment sallez vous aujourdoui,it works,less hasle,when you speak the lingo,you do not appear ignorant.
Most times,he will just stand up on the drivers step of the cab,and say,allez,bon route,depending if he got his leg over the night befoe with his Mrs.

Rob K:
I’m so glad I never went through with doing euro work all those years ago and stuck to the mainland here. All those fines and BS from the various authorities over there would’ve probably got me locked up for arguing with them a longggg time ago. The Frogs are corrupt as [zb], I don’t know how they get away with it in this day and age. I so hope you ‘get out’ of it ro trucker, I’d be raging. What are you going to do in the mean time before appealing it? How are you going to get your truck back if you can’t get the cash together? :frowning:

It isn’t a lawless society Rob, most of the authorities stick religiously to rules, part of the trick of having an easy life is to learn & abide by those rules. For many years we have made it easy on ourselves, put in a blank card for the weekend or if your language skills are sufficient explain to them exactly what you were doing or not doing.

The only fines or bonds I have ever paid in France were self inflicted, overtaking in a no overtaking zone, speeding while carrying ADR and failure to wear a seat belt.

I have either been very fortunate, or I have learned to carry or show what the BAG, Gendarme, Red Caps want to see. I prefer the latter explanation.

In Spain,the bike coppers would stink of brandy or cognac,bar hopping on their breaks?

Hi,Guys
It was on analogic tachos, and I did have all the tachos for 28 days with. I did argue with the female officer,or what ever she was, cause,how can I have a paper atesting,I wasn’t driving at a weekly brake period,in advance if I don’t know at time exactly,by hours and minutes, I would take the brake,or on which place. That’s the meaning of international transport,takeing the goods from one place to another one,without knoing when it’s happend and where you deliver. I said to them,I can obtain the papers to confirm I wasn’t driving another vehicle,while I was on brake. And the replay was, no it’s to late,so I said to her,if after is not possible,how can I have it before,if I do not know where (which location) I would have the brake,how they can I take a paper with me? Cause,u need to have it specific location and times on a paper!!! After four days,and I’m still amazed about what they come up to,to give such a fine!!

That’s live! Haulage business is on a knees, with all the fuel prices and the authorities with such a big fines!!!

The Basque area of Northern Spain,the fines are more.And the Mosses police of the Catalana area of Eastern Spain have a reptutation for telephone number size fines.

Wheel Nut:
The only fines or bonds I have ever paid in France were self inflicted, overtaking in a no overtaking zone, speeding while carrying ADR and failure to wear a seat belt.

Same for me in over 20 years of European driving, all self inflicted and bang to rights, speeding, overtaking where I shouldn’t be and so on, including Vienna to near Koblenz via two collections in Munich which meant slightly more driving and working hours than I should have done. :blush: :blush: Never been fined in France, Italy, Spain or Belgium, probably the four most popular countries when it comes to legalised extortion, despite their best efforts on many occasions.

Dig your heels in. Ask to see the exact legislation they want to do you under. Demand an audience with the Grand Fromage and the ‘offence’ maybe not quite as serious as they first thought so perhaps on this occasion a warning will do. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K:
I’m so glad I never went through with doing euro work all those years ago and stuck to the mainland here.

Err, we live on an island, that’s the Mainland over there =========> where France is. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

In France,you should ask to see the exact penal code for the offence,it will have numbers or letters,failing that show the ticket to a French driver,he may shed some light on what you have done wrong.Stop at a Rouitier,they stick together over there,not like the Uk,where it is every man for himself,and im alright jack attitude.

That right,what you say,Toby! Unfortunately,the money’s gone,and what hurts,I don’t know,if I will see them back!
I don’t what procedure should I follow to get the fine revoked,and money back. :frowning: