Google maps .

I would be grateful for any information regarding Google maps while on the move , are they ok on a phone or do you need an I.pad etc .

I know a few guys who swear by them. I swear at them.

Used it once on someone else’s advice, never again.

You can’t beat a paper map.

You have to have it on a lap top, open, center of the dash at all times :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tango boy:
You have to have it on a lap top, open, center of the dash at all times :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:

Best thing since slice bread if you have a 3g signal if you’re in the sticks with the hillfolk well its pish :grimacing:

The best thing about it is you can go to street view get a proper swatch at the delivery point. I use it on the iphone 5 which i had to download as the original maps are ■■■■. Its a bit fiddly on the phone but usable.

I prefer it to my sat nav. I’d advise someone to leave their phone charging and turn off the phone standby mode; Or you’ll be forever tapping your phone to keep the screen lit. I know you need to keep wifi on and gps to sort location, but once GM is an app on your phone does it cost anything in terms of data usage? Any updates I do through our home wifi.

I love google maps. I hate sat navs. The google maps are the same format at the Phillips road maps. I prefer to have a birds eye view of an area like maps a not the 3d aspect like sat nav.
As said using street view to pinpoint a front door or satellite view to see if a premises is page enough to turn around in is also a bonus.
The only downfall is that when you zoom in the road numbers and junction numbers shrink so its sometimes hard to see them.

*large not page

I’ve used Google maps twice on my phone and it got me out of trouble both times.

The first time I joined a road I needed half way along it’s length and didn’t know where the factory I was looking for was, it was a long road and was going to take some time, especially if I chose the wrong way to look first.

Google maps on my phone not only pointed me in the right direction but it also took me straight to the gate :smiley:

The second time was when I couldn’t find a road on my sat-nav and it was on Google maps :smiley:

To answer your question Google maps can be used on a phone, but I suppose a map is always going to be better on a larger screen like a tablet (doesn’t have to be an iPad though).

I’ve used my iPad as a satnav for over a year now with no problems. Bit of common sense and you won’t go wrong, I use it all the time in central london.

Only place it had abit of a fit was in bath, no idea why but again, just use common sense. :grimacing:

I believe those green dots are live traffic flow info as well. Useful, considering it doesn’t cost a subscription like TrafficMaster does. :wink:

Google maps is the best, put in the postcode of your drop, then use streetview to see the actual drop, you will then see the best way to approach.
Google navigation is good too but it only routes for cars, it does have decent traffic info, green is good, orange is good and red is game over

got me to the right port in Rotterdam no probs, I work down a lot of 7.5t weght limits so tend to go with the flow but otherwise mixed with common sense it will get you to where you nee to be. I use a Samsung galaxy… its also very helpful for searching for locations a sat nav wont find…

Been using it for a few years (mainly in the car) and can’t fault it. It doesn’t allow for low bridges etc. but if you’re in a lorry of course you’d use a paper map as well :wink:

The only problem with using a paper map, is the place you’re trying to get to is
always in the stapled bit in the middle. :imp: :imp:

I think it’s the absolute business on I phone 5. I use it to pinpoint the last couple of mile approach along with sat nav for heights & weights. You can street view as well to double check.

I heartily recommend!

I use Google Maps on my iPhone 5, you can even put the name if the company in the search bar & 75% of the time it pinpoints it.

Picked up a Samsung galaxy s4 over the weekend. The navigation tool on that seems really good. Showing POI on the map

There are two different things when you are talking about Google Maps. There’s the phone app which is free and available for the iphone and Androids. The iphone version is designed for a smaller phone screen but will work quite happily on the ipad, just you get a bigger image.

The other Google Maps is the website - maps.google.co.uk which can be accessed from any browser on any device.

Both require an internet connection of some sort so will use up your data allowance.

Both require an internet connection of some sort so will use up your data allowance.

True - but, Google maps app for droid/iphone can be used offline to preserve whatever data allowance you may have. Needs a wee bit of forward planning when you have a wifi connection.

Here’s a guide Google maps

As said above in combination with a satnav and/or papermaps it’s excellent.