Google maps .

yeah i have used it occasionally
but quite often you find with google street view
large parts of A roads are not covered
maybe cos the google camera car hasnt been down there

Quite right Martin, I forgot to mention that, even gives you a picture of the frontage of the firm so you know what to look out for.

DearBoy:

Both require an internet connection of some sort so will use up your data allowance.

True - but, Google maps app for droid/iphone can be used offline to preserve whatever data allowance you may have. Needs a wee bit of forward planning when you have a wifi connection.

Here’s a guide Google maps

As said above in combination with a satnav and/or papermaps it’s excellent.

Well, I never knew you could do that. Thank you very much for sharing that tip. :smiley: :smiley:

If you have gps on, would it sap your data allowance?

I use it all the time, i dont often use streetview unless im checking a road to see if i can park overnight on it but its great for trying to find an industrial estate in the middle of know where if you’ve got a crap address. The plus points over a paper map is that unless you’ve got area maps they dont show all roads if your going down small lanes whereas google maps show all roads, you have a moving point so you know if your going in the right direction, theres others but cant be arsed to write any more.

Muckaway:
If you have gps on, would it sap your data allowance?

No, GPS doesn’t use data allowance.

I swear by them. I’ve used Google Maps for years and don’t even own a Sat Nav. When I was Tramping, Google Maps was on near enough all day and I never noticed much change in my data usage so I wouldn’t worry about that.

merc0447:
Best thing since slice bread if you have a 3g signal if you’re in the sticks with the hillfolk well its pish :grimacing:

The best thing about it is you can go to street view get a proper swatch at the delivery point. I use it on the iphone 5 which i had to download as the original maps are [zb]. Its a bit fiddly on the phone but usable.

This 100%… I go round on auto pilot most of the time as I know where all the stores are and pretty much all the roads linking them together.

But, the odd (special!!!) occasion I get to go somewhere different the Google Maps is priceless. Check bridge heights with street view (cross-ref with proper map) check delivery points… or if you’ve got half an address you can actually find on the map where you need to be before you even start thinking about driving there.

Sat Nav is on too but that’s just to give me a count down of miles and time to destination.

I started out nearly 4 years back and I’ve always done this. Touching wood, it’s never ever let me down.

Just to clear things up GPS usage does not sap your internet usage. I use the app runkeeper when I’m at my mothers in France and will have GPS running for around 2 hours during my stay with the phones internet turned off.

So basically you can have GPS running on your phone all day.