Good to be appreciated for a change

It makes a change to be thanked.

Not sure why the old army truck has been blurred out in the SL website as it’s publicly available elsewhere?

I’m amazed they were not nicked as a first option for parking on a live carriageway. :unamused:
Old Bill deffo missed a trick there eh? :smiley:

Gonna open a can of worms here and upset all the socially aware and lefty bleeding hearts here…but I always have mixed feelings about these people threatening to jump.

On one hand if they are genuinely at the end of their mental tether,.they have my full sympathy…I get all that so don.t give me verbal gbh on your campaign to explain the ins and outs of mental health problems…I GET IT ! :bulb: I am a family man myself, so the empathy is deffo there…trust me,. so no need for the usual ott emotional rhetoric.

Every potential Avenue (and my own Arse ) covered I think. :bulb: :smiley:

On the other hand, and always assuming they are not just attention seekers :unamused: , but actually are intending to jump…

Why involve other innocent people going about their business with all the upheaval, potential trauma it can and does bring ?
I ain’t talking about some tear arse artist in his V8 stressing himself out because his load of bog rolls to Asda are gonna be late, I’m talking about the poor innocent trucker who leaves ‘the jumper’ looking like butchers meat in the middle lane, when his 14 wheels go over him,.and the almost inevitable PTSD effects on him afterwards…poor ■■■■ just doing his job.
The emergency crews picking up the pieces (literally :open_mouth: ) with all the effects that has on a human psyche when the dust is settled

Same with train drivers who have similarly suffered in all those ways over the years.

There was a case about 20 years ago when a woman jumped off a bridge in the dark…poor guy just like you and me in his truck, is rudely and suddenlly awakened up with a smash through the windscreen and ended up with a blood soaked smashed dead body in his bunk and foot well. :open_mouth:
Poor bast never drove again it ruined his life. :neutral_face:

All dramatic I know but it could,.does, or maybe will happen to any of us.

It maybe sounds cold and unsympathetic ,.maybe that’s the way I am,.I make no apologies…but there are alternative lower profile ways of doing it which does not involve innocent people going about their jobs and lives.

Tin hat and full protective suit on to field off the bleeding hearts.

Eh you realize they can still jump into one of the gaps between the lorries :unamused: or throw themselves head-first or move to Canada where they’re entitled to medically assisted suicide if they so desire (just have to say yes three times to the docs).

A train driver told me they cover their head with a black bin liner as if the driver saw the faint reflection of a face on the track he or she could have time to stop the train.

Bone Shaker:
A train driver told me they cover their head with a black bin liner as if the driver saw the faint reflection of a face on the track he or she could have time to stop the train.

But if they see a body with the head covered with a black bin bag they won’t stop? Why not cover the whole body with the bag? Why sit on the rails and wait what if the train doesn’t pass for a long time or one passes but in the opposite direction (other rails) and passengers call the police or the train is late or there’s a strike that day. So many logistical issues and most importantly why do it in public where 99% of the time someone will stop you especially after you hesitate for several hours which is just long enough for the cops to arrive.

Rob, it was the driver of the Second World War army truck that was threatening to jump off the bridge to either flee from the police or attempt a suicide, he did a Rambo style smash stuff up as in the brilliant film First Blood.

The story…

Goes there was a jumper on the footbridge at Lincoln station many years ago. The trains were stopped and great many grumpy commuters were getting more and more hacked off. Apparently, one older gentleman pushed past the coppers and walked up to the unfortunate soul. ‘Are you going to jump or not!’, the chap replied, ‘I don’t know’, at which point he was pushed off the bridge to a loud gasp and few ripples of applause from the waiting crowds.

robroy, have you ever been to Lincoln station? :smiley:

Rob, I think when a person reaches such a state of despair, they can’t see beyond their own problems.

There is some video up here of him manoeuvring around (ish) stationary vehicles in Taunton.

No crunching sounds like he is competent with a manual box.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-66772197

This video shows the truck without any dents, at least at the start of the clip.

reddit.com/r/AbruptChaos/co … ww2_truck/

Whether this incident is a genuine potential suicide or someone hoping to avoid being nicked by playing the right card i don’t know.

For real potential suicides remember that at the time to take their own lives they are past logical reasoning and have reached the lowest point they are ever going to be at, they can’t be expected to just go off somewhere quiet and do the rest of us a favour, who knows how they’ve ended up where they are now what cruelties they’ve endured indeed what idiot decisions they’ themselves made which contributed, its the old case of unless you walk a mile in that persons shoes how can you know what they’ve been through, would you yourself have coped any better.

There but for the grace of God go i, and even if you don’t believe in God it can’t have gone unnoticed the pure evil that’s out there and growing exponentially, let us all hope there’s something opposite and better than where the western world is currently heading.
Talking of religion (to please Robroy :laughing: ), even the once harsh (for suicides) catholic church now treats suicides as insane at the time of their demise so entitling them to a decent service, and about bloody time too, it may not be important to the suicide (who knows?) but can be a deep kindness for the bereaved.

** idiot decisions? i could write a bloody series of books about my own.

yourhavingalarf:
The story…

Goes there was a jumper on the footbridge at Lincoln station many years ago. The trains were stopped and great many grumpy commuters were getting more and more hacked off. Apparently, one older gentleman pushed past the coppers and walked up to the unfortunate soul. ‘Are you going to jump or not!’, the chap replied, ‘I don’t know’, at which point he was pushed off the bridge to a loud gasp and few ripples of applause from the waiting crowds.

robroy, have you ever been to Lincoln station? :smiley:

That’s right up street is that, :laughing:
But I’m a bit miffed that you suggest it could have been me, not because it is something I would maybe want to do :smiley: …but the guy in the story was an ‘elderly gentleman’’ . :neutral_face:
Cheers. :smiley:

Juddian:
Whether this incident is a genuine potential suicide or someone hoping to avoid being nicked by playing the right card i don’t know.

For real potential suicides remember that at the time to take their own lives they are past logical reasoning and have reached the lowest point they are ever going to be at, they can’t be expected to just go off somewhere quiet and do the rest of us a favour, who knows how they’ve ended up where they are now what cruelties they’ve endured indeed what idiot decisions they’ themselves made which contributed, its the old case of unless you walk a mile in that persons shoes how can you know what they’ve been through, would you yourself have coped any better.

There but for the grace of God go i, and even if you don’t believe in God it can’t have gone unnoticed the pure evil that’s out there and growing exponentially, let us all hope there’s something opposite and better than where the western world is currently heading.
Talking of religion (to please Robroy :laughing: ), even the once harsh (for suicides) catholic church now treats suicides as insane at the time of their demise so entitling them to a decent service, and about bloody time too, it may not be important to the suicide (who knows?) but can be a deep kindness for the bereaved.

** idiot decisions? i could write a bloody series of books about my own.

Maybe I’m the wrong guy to be discussing this stuff as I personally have a knack of sorting upheaval situations out eventually in my own way.
Same as everyone else, I have had a couple of pretty heavy rock bottom scenarios in my own life, but contemplating suicide would never enter my head in a million years.

Nor do I purposely have anything to do with the ■■■■ storms that any religion can bring down on you, as you have sussed out. :smiley: , but surely the church NEEDS to move with the times and out of the Midfdle ages on their policies, otherwise in the next 10 years nobody will attend anymore, people are more switched on these days to actual reality over ancient fantasy, but this has already been discussed to death.

I still.ask…why a high profile scenario when something more private will have the same results…
You say they are past logical reason, and I ain’t no psychiatrist, but I would think it takes the same amount of mental effort (if not more) to plan to go out in a blaze of high profile glory, than being sat in a dark room with a bottle of tablets…is it the attention thing?..or does that actually only apply if you have zero intention of jumping.?
Who knows.
Again it sounds cold and unsympathetic, but that does not stop me thinking it.

Church attendances? the anglican church in particular deserted the people who needed it most during the recent covid scam, they locked the doors and shut people away from what has always been their sanctuary their place of safety forgiveness brother/sisterhood, the people didn’t leave the church the church left the people, the church should have stood against the state not gone along enthusiastically with each new dictat, clergy of yor were prepared to suffer the most heinous trials for their faith, there must be much disturbance in long rested graves.
Woke vicars and their leaders preaching the climate scam etc to the already demoralised and betrayed won’t bring the flock back in either, i suspect many Christians are now private about their devotions, i speak for myself here too.

As for those who cause mayhem to traffic etc as potential suicides, i can’t know what goes through their mind just as no one else can, arguably to arrive at that point of utter despair no one seemingly bothered to listen or lend a hand to help them so maybe there is something to be said for making the world listen…not saying its right just that the state and its machinery is an increasingly impersonal increasingly bullying increasingly evil system despite all the caring buzzwords they come up with, its rather too easy to become an enemy of the state… as many will find out to their cost in due course following the recent parliamentary bill which only 19 decent MPs voted against on its 3rd reading…including one Andrew Bridgen and one Sir JRM…its surprising just who values freedom and how few they really are.

You can’t blame Covid for dwindling church attendances Juddian, it maybe had a contributory responsibility, but numbers have dwindled for years very much prior to that fiasco.

My Uncle was a very keen and active churchwarden right up to he died 4 years ago…pre coivid…
(He gave up on me years ago trying to talk me both into church,.and becoming a Freemason,.neither of which is ‘‘me’’ but we were best mates despite that all my life and a lot of his 84 years. :smiley:…a second Dad. )
He regularly told me for last 20 to 25 years that attendances have dwindled as the older generations died off.
There was virtually no Sunday school attendance since and during this time either.
If I had asked my 2 lads 20 years ago…‘Would you rather go to church on Sundsy than play football for your local club’ what do you think their answer would be.?

Ardent following of religion in this country is dying off, perhaps maybe with the exception of NI, the obligatory full time religious nut jobs,.and people (presumably like yourself I do not know) who happen to hold a set of beliefs passed down to them from previous generations that they chose to continue…which is your prerogative, but I can not see a sudden increase in church attendance within this and the next generation.

My local church alone which is quite large has sold off it’s church hall, and has cordoned off about 60% of the church to be used as such instead.
Persoally I think that it is a good thing that many people have became realists, but I suspect you will disagree with me mate. :smiley:
It’s just that modern people’s attitudes that have changed Juddian,

To get back on topic, Ido not know of stats concerning suicides but I would go as far as to think that most are for personal and emotional reasons,.rather than political…unless of course you are heavily involved in politics for some reason.

Robroy.
The church cant move on because its tied to what the Bible says which isnt subject to the prevailing morality and if it does,it cant be called a church anymore,its just a social club.

Juddian.
Its funny,a lot of our church members think the climate change is all a scam but I’m not of them.I think it is real and we are on the path to destruction of all humanity

Sploom:
Juddian.
Its funny,a lot of our church members think the climate change is all a scam but I’m not of them.I think it is real and we are on the path to destruction of all humanity

Yet god…

Is unable to stop it despite creating the universe, the planet, the internet, French fries and everythink.

Sploom:
Robroy.
The church cant move on because its tied to what the Bible says which isnt subject to the prevailing morality and if it does,it cant be called a church anymore,its just a social club.

Juddian.

Don’t want to get into another theological debate with you mate seriously… because it’s like banging your swede against a brick wall.

All I will say about that is, that if they do not try and move with the times, there will be no church as such amongst normal everyday people…it is half way there now as I have pointed out,.very few people go nowadays.

The only ones that will remain will be the fanatical ‘SS type’ divisions such as your lot.

Churches for sale, all sizes available as no one uses them anymore thanks to a better educated populace:

https://www.loopnet.co.uk/search/churches/united-kingdom/for-sale/

EDIT: A bargain in the Shankill Rd for someone brave enough just £150K
https://www.loopnet.co.uk/Listing/75-Shankill-Rd-Belfast/28445553/