Good advice would be appreciated

So, after being in my job for over 2 years, ive finally had enough with driving ridiculous amount of miles and delivering a ridiculous amount of drops, whilst breaking speed limits and working through breaks in order to get it all done! (through fear of losing job). Bottom line, im no longer happy and want out. Needless to say, they have been good to me.

A few months ago, i applied to another big firm for a class2 job they had advertised but never heard nothing back and in the meantime, the company i am with now, put me through my class 1 About a month ago.

So heres my problem… today, i had a phone call from “big firm” asking me if i was still interested in a job… i said yes but now have my class 1…they said great, come see us next monday for an assessment…i said great, see you then.
now, all being well and they offer me a job, shich is less work, more money… how the hell should the conversation with my bosses go?

Can i also say that no contract has been signed for the licence but im not one for making myself look like a c***. im bricking myself because like i said, theyve been good to me… bottomline though, i need to leave because the jobs messing me up.
advise please.

I hope the new firm dosent want a reference of them :blush: :blush:

so basically you’re being worked like a dog for not very good money and you think this firm are treating you well?

mate, hand your notice in and move on. life is far too short to worry about what others think of you, do what is good for YOU!

seth 70:
I hope the new firm dosent want a reference of them :blush: :blush:

lol. the conversation will happe: after the assessment, theyre good to me in the sense that, if i ever need anything (like my class 1 :open_mouth: ), they help me out.

maga:
so basically you’re being worked like a dog for not very good money and you think this firm are treating you well?

mate, hand your notice in and move on. life is far too short to worry about what others think of you, do what is good for YOU!

+1
don’t worry about ref you been there 2 yrs if they didn’t like you you wouldn’t be there …

If they’ve worked you into the ground for the last 2 years, I’d accept the Class 1 Licence as payment for your hard work & move on, they’ll only shaft you again when it’s gets busy !

Move on & don’t worry about it, all those times when you were working 15 hour shifts without breaks, the Boss was probably sitting at home with his slippers on, watching ‘UndercoverBoss’ & having a Chuckle to himself because he was still Earning while you were still Burning.

It’s an awkward one. If I paid to put a driver through his Class 1 and he left a month afterwards then I don’t imagine I’d be best pleased about it. All I can say about your predicament is “■■■■■ to be you” :stuck_out_tongue:

Tell your current employer that your health is being damaged and have to move on. Have you challenged your boss about your workload? If not then he may feel aggrieved but if you have, and nothing has changed, then you will be doing the right thing.

Start a new job tomorrow after jacking the last job, finished Saturday, because of the damage being done to my health. Good luck mate.

Bear in mind also mate that the class 1 entitlement wasnt an entirely altruistic, generous gesture/gift on their behalf. They did it principally for their own benefit and not yours. I would suggest that after tax clawbacks for company training etc., the cost to themselves would be considerably less than the £1000 I have just shelled out to do my own class 1 at the end of next month! Sounds like theyve already had their pound of flesh out of you - time to call it even and look after number 1 (that`s YOU, by the way!) :wink:

All wise words.

Wiretwister:
Tell your current employer that your health is being damaged and have to move on. Have you challenged your boss about your workload? If not then he may feel aggrieved but if you have, and nothing has changed, then you will be doing the right thing.

Start a new job tomorrow after jacking the last job, finished Saturday, because of the damage being done to my health. Good luck mate.

glad to hear it m8, good luck to you.

ive lost count of the amount of times that ive contested the work load and nothing been done. All i get is “dont worry were getting another wagon to cover”. and like you, i get to the weekend and im too bolloxed to do owt with the family!
since i sarted, my runs tripled in size with south wales getting mahoosive. i appreciate everyones advice cuz your just telling me what i already know… im just to loyal for my own good and need to grow a pair.
:unamused: :blush: Thanx again… hello to possible new job, goodbye to… ooh forgot you already! :grimacing:

Years ago I would have felt the same as the Op. Today though, older and wiser I would say ■■■■ them. Look after number 1 because that’s what they’re doing.

Infact ■■■■ everyone :wink:

You have got to do what is best for you. Think about number one. I was in the same situation 3 years ago. I made the move and it was the best thing I have done. I’ve not looked back since.

You could go for being completely open with the situation with current employer…

“Six months ago I was unhappy and applied for a job because I was ■■■■■■ off. I’m grateful for you putting me through class 1. Just been asked for interview for firm I applied to. (Then list reasons why you are still unhappy). Therefore I feel I should go and have a look at this other job”

It could go three ways from there

1 - they hurl abuse at you, and you had better hope you get the job!

2 - they offer different shifts, different work, try and address concerns to keep you

3 - they say fair enough and reasonably discuss how much notice to work

Have they been a decent company to work for? Wouldn’t tell them until you have been offered the job. Wait until you have then say its an opportunity has come up to further yourself. It’s not a crime. If they have been decent the detail is in how you handle any outstanding obligations for training costs. If they have been woeful then they do reap what they sow.

Stonehouse69:
So, after being in my job for over 2 years, ive finally had enough with driving ridiculous amount of miles and delivering a ridiculous amount of drops, whilst breaking speed limits and working through breaks in order to get it all done! (through fear of losing job). Bottom line, im no longer happy and want out. Needless to say, they have been good to me.

Although this is a bit of a contradiction I see where your coming from. Your present company has enjoyed the fruits of your labours and now its time to move on - swiftly if I was you.

No one forces you to break speed limits or work through breaks, this is a matter of personal choice…yes we can feel pressured to do this and companies who expect it will have a high turnover of drivers. Not wishing to sound like I’m saddling up my high horse as I too have done this. But in the end what doesn’t arrive today can always be delivered tomorrow (organ transplants are probably the exception, oh and Vodka).

A few months ago, i applied to another big firm for a class2 job they had advertised but never heard nothing back and in the meantime, the company i am with now, put me through my class 1 About a month ago.

Although you may feel some moral obligation, perhaps even a sense of loyalty or even guilt for leaving due to this none of these things put food on the table. Sometimes we have to be selfish and do whats best for us.

From what you have stated its unlikley your current employer has a clause in your employment contract thats states training fees must be reimbursed if the employee leaves within a certian time frame after course completion…worth checking though. These restrictive covenants are often very hard to enforce though and legal advice should be sought if your concerned and there is one.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Stonehouse69:

So heres my problem… today, i had a phone call from “big firm” asking me if i was still interested in a job… i said yes but now have my class 1…they said great, come see us next monday for an assessment…i said great, see you then.
now, all being well and they offer me a job, shich is less work, more money… how the hell should the conversation with my bosses go?

Can i also say that no contract has been signed for the licence but im not one for making myself look like a c***. im bricking myself because like i said, theyve been good to me… bottomline though, i need to leave because the jobs messing me up.
advise please.

They have been good to you? letting you breaking every Law?
Mine is not good to me,as i were out of Work if i would break a Law,but im more likely getting retired alive,even with a litle Money less then you.

Immigrant:
They have been good to you? letting you breaking every Law?
Mine is not good to me,as i were out of Work if i would break a Law,but im more likely getting retired alive,even with a litle Money less then you.

^^^^ +1

If the traffic plod or vosa stopped you and questioned your inappropriate use of speed,what would the company have done?You should get out and look on the class 1 as payment for tipping on break.