Going back tramping.great life adventure

funny how my carrier goes since i passed my class 2…i was dragging bins behind refuse truck,then i was laughing cos i was a driver doing nothing.then 3 years of hiab job great experience lifting ton of bricks over brand new merc when people watching or ripping peoples drives apart after they convinced me they had 40 ton eightwheelers on it.then first tramping for 1.5 years.now back on days self employed dragging containers easiest job ever.next week going back tramping cos love to be everywhere and get paid while sleeping☺plus vat obviously

Tramping within the UK ■■ That is not fun that is torture !!

raymundo:
Tramping within the UK ■■ That is not fun that is torture !!

One mans meat is another mans poison !

My first tramping Monday. See how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you take out the Calais hassle - surely tramping around the entire UK seems preferable indeed…

The adventures you can always have as dreams on the bunk of course.
The thing about “Adventure” is that it’s better as a story to hear, or an episode to watch - rather than experience directly. :wink:

tramping is ok depends what you expect.if you expect week to go fast its definitely not for you.and it has to be properly organized.i never sleep in stinking services.always hiding myself on industrial estates.list goes on.and its money obviously.can’t wait for my new employer face when im gonna get rid of passenger seat…regards bunk bed i have duck feathers topper and full duvet set also top quality

joker83:
can’t wait for my new employer face when im gonna get rid of passenger seat…

I’d ask him 1st if it’s Ok to do so, or the look on his face will be priceless when he sacks you

joker83:
tramping is ok depends what you expect.if you expect week to go fast its definitely not for you.and it has to be properly organized.i never sleep in stinking services.always hiding myself on industrial estates.list goes on.and its money obviously.can’t wait for my new employer face when im gonna get rid of passenger seat…regards bunk bed i have duck feathers topper and full duvet set also top quality

If it doesn’t go in fast for you mate, you either hate it or you aint doing it properly or both.
It depends how you approach it.

Teararse like a ■■■■ Work/sleep only = endurance test

Don’t go like a ■■■■ all day, but still get job done. spend some time out of cab when parked up =more relaxed = enjoyable =goes in fast. :bulb:

joker83:
funny how my carrier goes since i passed my class 2…i was dragging bins behind refuse truck,then i was laughing cos i was a driver doing nothing.then 3 years of hiab job great experience lifting ton of bricks over brand new merc when people watching or ripping peoples drives apart after they convinced me they had 40 ton eightwheelers on it.then first tramping for 1.5 years.now back on days self employed dragging containers easiest job ever.next week going back tramping cos love to be everywhere and get paid while sleeping[WHITE SMILING FACE]plus vat obviously

Hope you’ve not gone as driver services and on vat as that’s the first thing hmrc look or as you’ll be collecting in but have very little out put. But enjoy

joker83:

You’re going to have an adventure sleeping on a duck-feather bed, probably piloting some cosy cab with auto box and cruise control, plus microwave, fridge and internet?
Adventures ended with the demise of a sheet of plywood over the seats and some tarpaulin offcuts as a blanket.

Yeah, I had “adventures” in day cab A Series ERFs and Atki Borderers too. And once or twice kipping in the dormitories at Jacks Hill and that place on the A13 where DJV had their office. And Im mighty glad those days have gone too.
And for us “tramping” was loading for somewhere away from home area. Not as the current usage seems to be; i.e. doing a night out.

I went from enjoying it to hating it,Sunday nights were unbearable as I’d dread going to work.
Now I have very few nights out and I actually enjoy them when I get them.
But I’d never go back to full weeks away ever

I don’t tramp anymore. Not that I minded it. I only do 1-3 a week, sometimes none. But I still stay in the yard if it’s late when I get back. The job will be as easy or hard as your firm make it. I worked for a local firm, and they had a policy of dropping the trailers in a secure yard overnight. You had a gate to unlock and relock for the car park, one for the unit park, two doors to get your keys, and two for the trailer park. That’s right, 6 locks to unlock and relock plus a poxy keyfob alarm on the main gate you had to swipe every ten mins to stop the police coming. So you can keep your day work :laughing:

I went on it for the sleep aspect , couldn’t keep going on 34/5/ hrs a night , but I’m not really getting anymore , alot of the time I just have too dump it in the nearest layby , and I’ve just not got used to trucks thundering by all night , or if I get in depot / services by the time I’ve had a shower / food / wound down it can be midnight and back up and going at 6/7 , and i keep waking up in night with alsorts going on in my head , Mrs takes it out on me as she feels we should be doing all the normal things , going for meals , strolls etc , told me the other night she had enough , then your minds thinking is she going too be there when I get home , I don’t know how I’d get my clothes washed and ironed if she left :frowning:

i was doing it for 1.5 year never slept in layby or services.maybe once.always using googlemaps to find argos aldi bq builders merchants etc so im always in industrial estates.shower is the biggest issue cos some places are overcrowded.i have double burner cooker ,kettle,tv fridge.that’s do me.pint o beer and sleep.weekends at home.easy.

Doze mate I doubt I could let myself be pushed as much as you but tramping can be great.

The worst part is always going to be that your away from your loved ones and I do worry about other men stealing my beloved but as long as I feed my ■■■■■ regularly she’s always waiting for me at home on the weekend.
[I mean my pet cat not the wife’s ■■■■■, her ■■■■■ has got by with receiving a small portion for years].

I do worry about your home life Dozy, maybe a break from tramping could keep your Mrs happy.

I’d seriously consider a job change though, tramping on boxes is good fun.

dozy:
and i keep waking up in night with alsorts going on in my head , (

Who is the least bit surprised by that?

dozy:
I went on it for the sleep aspect , couldn’t keep going on 34/5/ hrs a night , but I’m not really getting anymore , alot of the time I just have too dump it in the nearest layby , and I’ve just not got used to trucks thundering by all night , or if I get in depot / services by the time I’ve had a shower / food / wound down it can be midnight and back up and going at 6/7 , and i keep waking up in night with alsorts going on in my head , Mrs takes it out on me as she feels we should be doing all the normal things , going for meals , strolls etc , told me the other night she had enough , then your minds thinking is she going too be there when I get home , I don’t know how I’d get my clothes washed and ironed if she left :frowning:

Doze mate, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but have a look in the mirror bud to check that you aint got MUG written on your forehead. :bulb:
If those James Hunts in the office are running you ragged to the point you have no time to look for a decent parking place to enable you to SLEEP let alone a meal, bog and shower it’s time to get it sorted bud.
Not only that but if one of the effects of you working like this, is having an adverse effect on your marriage, it’s time you either told the planners to ease off and go and ■■■■ themselves, or get a better job…or both.

Can’t help but think you may be on a wind up after reading the washing and ironing bit, it sounded a bit like my mate who told me his Mrs had left him and took the dog. When I asked him how he felt he said " ■■■■ distraught, I loved that dog’’ :smiley:

Having worked at maritime and tdg on hours, knowing how they operate, I’d hazard a guess that stobart drivers aren’t actually planned that tight, more a case of the drivers trying to milk every last penny :bulb:

joker83:
now back on days self employed dragging containers easiest job ever.next week going back tramping cos love to be everywhere and get paid while sleeping☺plus vat obviously

If you’re working for one company thats not legal. If you’re acting like the rest of the employees then chances are that isn’t self employment. For example if you decide to take a week off can you send a mate in to do the job or do they have the last say on who drives the truck?