Gobby shunters.

What is it with some of these guys who think they are in charge all the ■■■■ time with ideas above their station.
I won’t say where, in case it gets the office guy in trouble in some way.

Had a long day yesterday…(purely for my OWN benefit btw, want to get back Sat early to catch 1230 kick off on tv. :smiley: ,.any other time I would have waited until next morning)

Got to my re.load 7pm, load not ready. :unamused:
Got to about 2045 I said to office guy…
‘I’ll need to go shortly mate,.won’t have time to load AND manage to get where I intend to park’ (40 mins away)

He told me you ain’t supposed to park on their trailer park (a ■■■■ hole 100 yds away) but get loaded and find a quiet spot there…but ‘‘he doesn’t know about it’’…

Spot on…got loaded, got back to trailer park about 2200 with 10 mins left on spread.
Put a light snack on,.cracked open a can of Carlsberg,.and rang the Mrs.
While on phone Shunter pulls up beside me giving me grief with the …‘You can’t park here mate’'. :imp: :unamused:

First instinct…Tell him to go and ■■■■ himself…but thought nah, that will make him worse, I’ll eat humble pie (not easy for me btw :smiley: ) and try and reason with him, but at the same time thinking wtf has it to do with him/what harm amI doing/ and is policing the trailer park not above his ■■■■ pay grade. :unamused:

I said look mate I ain’t being awkward, my 15 is up,.I’ve been here since 7pm.and just got loaded.
,.I’ve got 2 choices (neither of which was gonna happen) drive 45 over my time or pull the card, but both instances I get the sack.
‘So if you could just turn a blind eye mate I’d appreciate it, OR get the Old Bill down here for their instructions.and I’ll fully co.operate’.

I got the… ‘‘Look mate I!m a driver,I know you can drive 20 mins over your time to find a park,.so you can’t park here’’.

I said well sorry mate I aint being arsey or awkward here, sorry but I ain’t prepared to do that, so it’s entirely your call.

He just ■■■■ ed off after gobbing off at me again but I was ‘Good Rob’ and bit my tongue, and heard nothing else.
So I walked over to office to warn the friendly guy I was getting grief off matey.
If he was a ‘driver’ as he said btw ,.wtf happened to empathy and sticking together eh? :unamused:

Anyway nowt happened through night, just waiting for my 9 off to click in to get home . . :unamused:

Ive had exactly the same situation with shunters telling me not to park overnight,even though the place was completly unused.You did right not to move if you are up to 15 hours.I didnt know about that 20 minute rule,absolutly no way am I moving once the 15 hours is up unless the police instruct me and I dont think even they have authority to do so

Sploom:
Ive had exactly the same situation with shunters telling me not to park overnight,even though the place was completly unused.You did right not to move if you are up to 15 hours.I didnt know about that 20 minute rule,absolutly no way am I moving once the 15 hours is up unless the police instruct me and I dont think even they have authority to do so

If you are caught out unexpectedly then you may go over 15spread or 10 driving or whatever to reach a safe park.
Its a bit like going 3mph over the limit: doubtful anything would happen, but that doesnt make it legal.
There is no hard and fast rule about it. It isn`t a “get out of jail free” card.

If you know that loading will likely make you go over your time, then it isn`t unexpected, is it?
Up to anyone to take a chance or not as they see fit.

If a shunter says that reduced daily rest means 8 hours and 40 minutes it must be true.
If it was me I’d have dropped the trailer at the first sign of ‘their’ late loading problem and his bs then making matters even worse in that regard and parked up with the unit having told the guvnor.Then the ‘shunter’ that he’s obviously only a shunter for a reason.Out of hours means what it says and insufficient daily rest to cater for a late loading problem is a different thing to 20 minutes over on driving time caused by an unavoidable traffic delay.

Franglais:

Sploom:

If you are caught out unexpectedly then you may go over 15spread or 10 driving or whatever to reach a safe park.
Its a bit like going 3mph over the limit: doubtful anything would happen, but that doesnt make it legal.
There is no hard and fast rule about it. It isn`t a “get out of jail free” card.

If you know that loading will likely make you go over your time, then it isn`t unexpected, is it?
Up to anyone to take a chance or not as they see fit.

Yep agreed.
If I’d pulled out for those 20 mins, or in my case it would be 45, bring on the ■■■■ storm if anything happened during that time.
As I said I was prepared to pull out and come back in morning, but the friendly office guy gave me another option, but Mr Shunter man thought he would display his (self appointed) authority rather than just crack on and mind his own business.

Was in Cardiff docks a while ago and running out of time. Explained the situation to the office and was told, As soon as you are unloaded, park in the cafe truckpark. Got tipped and duly parked up for a 9 off. Security came and knocked on the door. Usual crap. Can’t park here Drive. Explained the situation and again told No. What about when the cafe opens in the morning? So What time does the cafe open? 7am. Sorry I will be gone at 5am. you want me to move then call the police.
Security, Don’t do it again. :smiley:

Carryfast:
If a shunter says that reduced daily rest means 8 hours and 40 minutes it must be true.
If it was me I’d have dropped the trailer at the first sign of ‘their’ late loading problem and his bs then making matters even worse in that regard and parked up with the unit having told the guvnor.Then the ‘shunter’ that he’s obviously only a shunter for a reason.Out of hours means what it says and insufficient daily rest to cater for a late loading problem is a different thing to 20 minutes over on driving time caused by an unavoidable traffic delay.

As I said I would have loaded this morning, but my sole reason to load last night was to get back for the football, not because I was keen, conscientious or enthusiastic about the job, nor deffo no.desire to impress my boss.
I have my priorities in life. :laughing:

Don’t get this problem as a dayman #ilikemeownbed
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Sploom:

There is no “20 minute rule”. It’s a made up thing like the bible.

The “rule” is written in black and white in the regs and is called an Article 12 derogation which allows you to depart from the regular rules for an unspecified amount of time to reach a point of safety/legally acceptable parking in the event of an emergency.

It is not to be used so that someone can chug up to 4h 20m driving, or 14h 50m on their day and realise the services they planned to reach is full - that is still poor planning and against the rules. However if you’d planned for that services at say 13hrs duty and you get past the previous junction and suddenly there is an accident, the motorway is held and you go over your hours, that is what the derogation is there for.

I suspect Rob was told 20 mins because the shunter knew somewhere that far away. I’ve gone over my spread by 7hrs before with no consequence, and that was running in Europe where I was checked a lot more. And yes my eyes felt like wee holes in the snow at the end of it :laughing:

If the favourite ■■■■■■■■■■■■ is 40mins away I’d have lied to the manager and said at the 13th hour I’m gonna be out of hours in 30mins, this would have given them the opportunity to hurry up or drop your trailer and allow you to leave site and find your favourite ■■■■■■■■■■■■ with a hour+ spare, leaving the shutter to move the trailer, and go back after your 9. But you obviously backed yourself into a corner, by the optimism of wanting to get loaded to get back before 12:30 Saturday

I keep getting asked to stop talking about religion but you lot keep bringing the subject up!

toonsy:
It’s a made up thing like the bible.

:laughing: Don’t start him off ffs. :smiley:

peirre:
If the favourite ■■■■■■■■■■■■ is 40mins away I’d have lied to the manager and said at the 13th hour I’m gonna be out of hours in 30mins, this would have given them the opportunity to hurry up or drop your trailer and allow you to leave site and find your favourite ■■■■■■■■■■■■ with a hour+ spare, leaving the shutter to move the trailer, and go back after your 9. But you obviously backed yourself into a corner, by the optimism of wanting to get loaded to get back before 12:30 Saturday

If I’d left the site I’d have had to load this morning, and have been ■■■■ ed up for today, that was the whole point.
The stuff was coming down pallet for pallet so no chance of hurrying up.
Not so much ‘favourite’ park, just nearest …apart from msa.
Anyhoo all went to plan, apart from pub, just replying to you during half time …at home.

peirre:

people are going to stop contributing to this forum if all they get is abuse from people who don’t read properly. He did say he checked with the office in plenty of time and the office provided a solution. I think the thread was just about shunters sticking their beak in.

Sploom:
I didnt know about that 20 minute rule

Because it doesn’t exist. The only time you can go over if there is an unforeseen event where you have absolutely no choice, say you’re caught up sat for hours on the M1 because of an accident, you run out of time whilst you’re sat there and you have no choice but to continue to drive but you can only do so to the very first available parking. You can’t do it because you should’ve been able to do your day’s work in 12hrs but an accident earlier in the day held you up. So given that robroy was already somewhere off the road parked up he’d have had a hard time defending driving over 15hrs.

I got it off a shunter on my first ever day on the job. Tesco Weybridge (now Amazon Weybridge) and the yard was set up so in some places you travelled on what would be the wrong side of the road if you were on the street outside.

I didn’t realise this. Oh man, you’d have thought I’d just kidnapped his first born child. I’d read on here about moody shunters before I even passed my test but to this day I’ve never met one go off so badly for so little.

I was a new driver (first day so as green as they come) so just took it all in and went on my way. I think these days it might play out slightly different.

I agree with the “don’t argue just call the police” idea. I had this problem years ago at Birmingham Market where security told me to clear off.Eventually 2 police officers turned up,said follow me.They stopped about a mile away on a road with yellow lines.Asked when I would be leaving and that was that.
I did the same ever since many times.Magic words.“Call the police.”

I shunt now and again. My rules are;

I drive as fast as I want, you exceed 10mph you’re banned

If you park in a manner I find offensive you’re banned.

I don’t know how long it’s going to take, ask me and you’re banned

Site rules state Salvo locks, moan and you’re banned.

More than one shunt you’re banned

Amble through the yard chatting loudly on your Bluetooth you’re banned.

Look at me funny you’re banned.

Have a nice day, I hope you enjoyed your visit.

the maoster:
I shunt now and again. My rules are;

I drive as fast as I want, you exceed 10mph you’re banned

If you park in a manner I find offensive you’re banned.

I don’t know how long it’s going to take, ask me and you’re banned

Site rules state Salvo locks, moan and you’re banned.

More than one shunt you’re banned

Amble through the yard chatting loudly on your Bluetooth you’re banned.

Look at me funny you’re banned.

Have a nice day, I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Ok.I.was going to say nowt to save your embarrasment…but you had to taunt me even more. :imp: so I’m OUTING you.
It was YOU last night you #### , give you a bit of power and it gans to your head.
I will be visiting your site no more!.
:unamused: ffs.

stu675:

peirre:

people are going to stop contributing to this forum if all they get is abuse from people who don’t read properly.

Don’t worry about me mate I’m used to abuse on here. :smiley:
In fact I wouldn’t have it any other way.
#whipmebabywhipme. :laughing: