Global fuel reserves

Ok this is abit of a silly subject but I’m going to ask anyway. I was watching a documentry last night about how the world can’t cope with fuel consumption and that within the next 40 years it will all be used up. I’ve got another 40 years before I can retire so does this mean when the diesal runs out my pink card would qualify for horse and carriage■■?

Probably made by a load of green nutters pushing their usual bs agenda of wanting to see an end to fossil fuel use because of one reason or another depending on whichever suits sometimes it’s the global warming bs or it’s all running out.The aviation industry’s plans are a good guide to the reality of the situation because as usual the big business aviation lot make sure that they’re exempt from all the bs while everyone in the road transport industry is supposed to believe it all. :unamused:

The fact is the aviation industry hasn’t based it’s future growth/survival projections on the bs idea that oil reserves will run out within 40 years added to which is coal and gas reserves in regard to coal and gas to liquid fuel sources.To quote aviation industry sources ‘‘unconventional oil sources will constitute 35% of the world’s energy supply by 2020 and delay peak oil production until well into the future’’.In view of which there’s no reason why any other mode of transport should think any differently.

I heard that 2 blokes from Middlesboro of all places produced their first litre of petrol by combining two atmospheric gasses( CO2 and water vapour I think) under extreme pressure a couple of weeks ago.
All the rest of the worlds boffins said it couldnt be done but they did it.
In an interview they said that with the right funding thay could be producing up to a thousand tonnes a day within two years.

Bet BP/Shell/Texaco have already turned them into billionaires and shoved the patent rights somewhere nobody will ever find em.The fuel they produced also ran cleaner than any mineral fuel and had a variable octane which could be produced to reduce pollutants to “minimal” levels.

Wasn’t it really expensive to produce so I heard?

Silver_Surfer:

Yes but apparently if they could get the funding they could go into large scale production and the price of a litre of 90 octane fuel could be brought down to below 20p per litre and a limitless supply.They said the fuel as it contains no sulphur or other contaminents just splits back into water and CO2.

Bking:

Silver_Surfer:

Yes but apparently if they could get the funding they could go into large scale production and the price of a litre of 90 octane fuel could be brought down to below 20p per litre and a limitless supply.They said the fuel as it contains no sulphur or other contaminents just splits back into water and CO2.

:grimacing: They will both be on that programme “Disappeared” soon

Silver_Surfer:

Most things are to start with though. We bought our first in cab mobile phone in the early to mid 80s and we took a lease agreement as it cost over £2000.00. Early technology and recouping investment costs, now you can get them for buttons for a basic model which is still a lot fancier than the one we bought!

Looks like the sultan of brunei best sell his 5000 strong car collection worth $4 billion I guess. Atleast we won’t be going back in time if that works.

JLS Driver SOS:

Bking:

Silver_Surfer:

:grimacing: They will both be on that programme “Disappeared” soon

That’s just what I was thinking, imagine what would happen if we didn’t need middle east oil anymore

You could bet your life though even if produced here the price of fuel still wouldnt go down.

Bking:

Silver_Surfer:

20p perhaps, but just like the fuel you get now which before all the taxes cost below 50p a litre, the Government would not want to lose it billions and would soon find a reason to tax it so we’ll never see cheap fuel.

That’s right look how much lpg has gone up since its got popular. If you think the before tax price of fuel is pretty good value. I’m sure I read a litre of fuel works out about 60p which to find oil drill it transport it refine it and get it to your local garage and still give oil company’s massive profits is good.
Time doesn’t stand still and we should look to proper alternatives for the future if we hadn’t in the past your nice Diesel engines truck would run on coal but these half arsed hybrid things are a waste of time. But the big motor manafacturers and oil company’s will suppress the technology to make a viable affordable alternative until the oil Realy is running out.

I have read that there is as much north sea oil still there as when it was discovered,they always say (known reserves) I would not worry about oil because some nutter from the middle east will get his hands on nuc,s then that will be it…were doooomed

No one has mentioned fracking either.

Bking:
I heard that 2 blokes from Middlesboro of all places produced their first litre of petrol by combining two atmospheric gasses( CO2 and water vapour I think) under extreme pressure a couple of weeks ago.
All the rest of the worlds boffins said it couldnt be done but they did it.
In an interview they said that with the right funding thay could be producing up to a thousand tonnes a day within two years.

Bet BP/Shell/Texaco have already turned them into billionaires and shoved the patent rights somewhere nobody will ever find em.The fuel they produced also ran cleaner than any mineral fuel and had a variable octane which could be produced to reduce pollutants to “minimal” levels.

If it was viable don’t you think that Shell/BP would have wanted to actually do it - surely they would stand to make £billions if it actually worked. Even the guys who did it never claimed that it would be a viable option for everyday use.

Santa:
If it was viable don’t you think that Shell/BP would have wanted to actually do it - surely they would stand to make £billions if it actually worked. Even the guys who did it never claimed that it would be a viable option for everyday use.

If and when an alternative to the petrol/diesel we use now is found (on the scale we need it) then i’d of thought Shell/BP et al would all lose out. They’ve spent fortunes on survey/licence fees.

This was mentioned on this site some years ago.
Someone just responded with a name to google.
This pointed out the US had the largest oil field in the world in Montana.
Years have gone past and it appears true.
Latest estimates are that the US will be self sufficient in oil in 2-4 years.
Couple this with oil sands of Canada and known oil reseves elsewhere, and the estimate I read was do not worry for at least another 300 years.
Oil companies only get oil when the balance starts to push the price towards developing cheaper alternatives.
It is in their interests to keep the price high.

About 30 years ago the deadline for oil running out was 2020-2030, and I suspect the estimate will always be 30 years from now!

Peak oil is years and years away.

if the programs from the 70’s and 80’s were to be believed, then we should have ran out by now.
there are plenty of fossil fuels left, but they only supply just enough to keep the prices up.

mi13ke:
Oil companies only get oil when the balance starts to push the price towards developing cheaper alternatives.
It is in their interests to keep the price high.

The inconvenient truth is that the price isn’t really high in real terms at all.The problem is all about tax especially in the case of road fuel when the operational taxes which the oil companies pay ( which are obviously passed on to the customer ) are then added to the duty on the stuff at the pump and then the VAT on that duty.