Glasgow : How many set of traffic lights? grrrrrrr

Quick rant on this one. :smiling_imp: Used to live in Glasgow a few years back and haven’t been up on a Scotland run for nearly 12 months :open_mouth: . Just how annoying are all the set of lights in Glasgow :question: :exclamation: :question: :exclamation: I remember now why I hated driving about the place :exclamation: What is doubly annoying is that regardless of whether it is 8.30am or 3am every set ALWAYS holds you up unnecessarily for another 20 seconds whilst the pedestrian crossing green-man lights up :exclamation: The A82 Gt Western Rd surely has the most sets of traffic lights per mile of any other road in the UK :exclamation: :question: Infuriatingly, it doesn’t seem to matter how fast or slow you approach them they always change to red when you get within 75yds :angry:

Sorry but it had to be said :exclamation: I can cope with roundabouts (to a point) and even don’t mind Roundabout City (MK) too much as you can take most of those at a sensible speed :smiling_imp:

PS. See the A74M from J12 up to Glasgow still has more holes than a colander :smiling_imp:

The A82 Gt Western Rd surely has the most sets of traffic lights per mile of any other road in the UK Infuriatingly, it doesn’t seem to matter how fast or slow you approach them they always change to red when you get within 75yds

yes rob,been on this long road and every light seems to be on red. it’s as if someone is watching you and decides to press the button to change the lights.

another place for lights is coming from eglington toll up nelson rd , the lights are pathetic. and as for roundabouts,east kilbride must be hard to beat.

I Was out in China last November, and they have just introduced a new Count Down Timer to their traffic lights, (They were not there last April)

Its about 2ft square made up of a dot matrix light board, when the light changes to Red it will begin counting down from say 90 seconds, meanwhile on the side that is on green their matrix also counts down from 90 seconds.

The idea is brilliant in the fact that as you approach you know how long before the lights change.

However, my observations were hilarious, if you can imagine a car sitting at the red lights and the counter is down to 4 seconds, select gear, 3 seconds release handbrake, 2 seconds start to move forward, 1 second light changes to green and it’s full throttle ahead

However on the other road, it’s 5 seconds, I’ve only got to go about 300 yds to clear the lights 4 seconds well I should make it, 3 seconds well it’s looking good, 2 Seconds yeah i’ll just get through, 1 second flamin hell is he coming through already :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It seems to do away with the frustration a bit, but it’s comical watching them trying to beat the lights whilst the other side treats it as a starting light :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We were on a 4 lane Motorway that just simply choked up into 6 lanes by the time the Chinese finished, (It was still only a 4 lane road) their way of beating the congestion? Simply put on their Hazards and drive down the hard shoulder of the opposite Carriageway :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Perhaps we should take a lesson from them :laughing: :laughing:

Ha! :smiley: That’s cool Davey!!

Glasgow is evil!! :imp:
Every time I go there I get lost. Without fail. Plus it nearly always rains. So keepin an eye on the idiot creeping up your blind-side with rain dripping off your mirrors sitting at the 125th set of traffic lights of the day is a flamin nightmare.
Yep, Kitkat, East Kilbride is roundabout hell, but so are Dundee (where roundabouts are called circles) and Livingston. Heading North up the A90 to load in Fraserburgh the other day I tried to count the number of roundabouts I went round passing Dundee, but lost count when some ar*e - biscuit cut me up on the 5th one.

Scottish roads are a bit on the rotten side actually. Especially central Edinburgh. Lived there for 26 years and am still amazed at the insane road layouts.

lostpup, i would rather deliver in edinburgh as my wife is from there, so i know it well,plus with all her family staying there,i have a place in each part for a free breakfast or lunch.the thing i hate about glasgow city centre is you can see the street you want to go up.but you have to go 4streets along then 4 streets up and then you find out its blocked by the white van men who tell you that i’ll be two min’s mate and they never seem to return.then when you get in the traffic warden will ask that :question: how long you going to be,how longs a piece of string.i just wish they would be there when a ■■■■ parks on the corner of a street that you are trying to get 60ft into,not the best place for artics. :wink:

Naah, no trouble at all, just go into the city centre late at night, and there’s no end of very helpful women who will offer you all sorts of assistance… :open_mouth:

I always said there’s only two decent things to come out of Glasgow…Billy Connolly and the M8!! :laughing: :laughing:

NightOwl:
I always said there’s only two decent things to come out of Glasgow…Billy Connolly and the M8!! :laughing: :laughing:

you forgot wet wet wet

No!!! :open_mouth:

He said decent!!! :laughing:

Lostpup:
No!!! :open_mouth:

He said decent!!! :laughing:

ok take that back, will celtic do lostpup :question: