Ghostly experiences

Hi guys
I have been a paranormal researcher for the past 10 years with a group called BSPRI and have had a life-long fascination with the subject. BSPRI use scientific methodology to investigate anomalous phenomena in the Bristol area and further afield.

My brother Paul told me about the occasion when he stopped to pick up a hitch hiker in his truck during the early 70’s on the A75 in Dumfriesshire. He stopped and leaned across an opened the passenger door and waited for the person to climb in.
Aware that he was pushed for time, he called out to the hitcher to hurry up and get in. Nothing.Climbing out of his cab, Paul looked around the area but there was no sign of the lonely figure. What was more, there was no sign of anywhere the mystery person could have gone in the short time it took for Paul to get out and look. There was no sign of a broken down car in the area and it was a very remote area where it was hard to imagine anyone wandering around after dark.
Since becoming an investigator I have been researching other strange sightings associated with that stretch of road and The Kinmount straight is supposed to be the most notorious spot for sightings and has been named the most haunted road in Scotland.
I know that many people who have had strange experiences prefer not to talk about it for fear of ridicule but you can contact me via my groups email address if you prefer and your complete anonymity is assured.
As well as this stretch of road, I am looking for any other strange experiences by drivers as I am in the process of writing a book dedicated to the memory of my brother Paul who was a lorry driver in the 70’s/early 80’s and died of heart attack aged 31.
My group is The Bristol Society for Paranormal Research & Investigation(BSPRI) and the email address is bspri@live.com
If you want to read more about my group and what we do before emailing me, we do have a website, blog page and we are on Facebook and Twitter.
bspri.org.uk/home/4576376958
Thanks in advance for any information
Wendy

ghost_70684321_kinmountstraight.jpg

:open_mouth:

Wendy:
Hi guys
I have been a paranormal researcher for the past 10 years with a group called BSPRI and have had a life-long fascination with the subject. BSPRI use scientific methodology to investigate anomalous phenomena in the Bristol area and further afield.

My brother Paul told me about the occasion when he stopped to pick up a hitch hiker in his truck during the early 70’s on the A75 in Dumfriesshire. He stopped and leaned across an opened the passenger door and waited for the person to climb in.
Aware that he was pushed for time, he called out to the hitcher to hurry up and get in. Nothing.Climbing out of his cab, Paul looked around the area but there was no sign of the lonely figure. What was more, there was no sign of anywhere the mystery person could have gone in the short time it took for Paul to get out and look. There was no sign of a broken down car in the area and it was a very remote area where it was hard to imagine anyone wandering around after dark.
Since becoming an investigator I have been researching other strange sightings associated with that stretch of road and The Kinmount straight is supposed to be the most notorious spot for sightings and has been named the most haunted road in Scotland.
I know that many people who have had strange experiences prefer not to talk about it for fear of ridicule but you can contact me via my groups email address if you prefer and your complete anonymity is assured.
As well as this stretch of road, I am looking for any other strange experiences by drivers as I am in the process of writing a book dedicated to the memory of my brother Paul who was a lorry driver in the 70’s/early 80’s and died of heart attack aged 31.
My group is The Bristol Society for Paranormal Research & Investigation(BSPRI) and the email address is bspri@live.com
If you want to read more about my group and what we do before emailing me, we do have a website, blog page and we are on Facebook and Twitter.
bspri.org.uk/home/4576376958
Thanks in advance for any information
Wendy

Never seen anything here, -A41 chetwyn furs has been a place some have been seen , was a site of an accident years ago…I am told

I picked up a young lady once, touched my knee and said she knew some magic, …next I knew she had turned me into a lay-bye…sorry old ones are the best :smiley:

I bet a few drivers on here have had the Willies put up em :smiley: Sorry couldn’t resist

There’s a local “modern” ghost in Sutton, near Eynsham. A man who was run over and killed whilst walking home about 30 years ago is said to step into the road infront of traffic late at night and disappear. I wont mention the “ghosts” name as he is/was well known in the area and still has relatives living in the area.
The Wolvercote railway bridge (in the village not the A40), is said to be haunted by two WW1 airmen who crashed on the meadow nearby.
The crossroads at Minster Lovell outside the White Hart pub is said to be haunted by the victims of a car crash that happened in the early '80s.
The industrial estate at Stanton Harcourt is built on the site of a WW2 airfield and is well known and r it’s resident ghost. Makes his presence known with the aroma of pipe smoke…

Don’t worry about ghosts. Its the living that will do you harm :exclamation: :wink:
Its not the one’s that are dead and gone. Its the one’s that are up and running :unamused: :wink:

Dave the Renegade:
Don’t worry about ghosts. Its the living that will do you harm :exclamation: :wink:
Its not the one’s that are dead and gone. Its the one’s that are up and running :unamused: :wink:

My Nan used to say that.

I’ve had a few “ghostly” experiences, most of which can be explained by hallucinations brought about by exhaustion. The remainder are, I believe, nightmares relating to various ex-wives!

Back in the early eighties, doing what was a normal shift then of around 23 hours, I was somewhere between Zaragoza and Barcelona on the motorway
struggling to stay alert in the small hours.
In the distance the headlights picked up a white image of what looked like a large white Alsatian dog (could it be a ghost I thought)
I rubbed my eyes in disbelief of what I was seeing them whallop !
It was one of the large white plastic bins that could hold a ton of produce and I was pushing it down the road
with the front bumper. The scraping noise it made I thought I had awoke the living dead I nearly S*** myself.

Still it woke me up and was able to do my full driving duties as expected !!

Regards

There’s a well know tale about one on the A 45 at Knightlow Hill, near Bob’s cafe, near Coventry.

I’ve never experienced anything strange myself when driving unless it was by the living! However drivers of the Northeast firm Van Hee Transport were well versed in the tales about some of the drivers having unexplained happenings when parked in the Midlands depot at Astwood Bank.
The yard was separated from a Graveyard by a 4ft stone wall and a few tales went around of blokes being ‘spooked’ at night when parked up, mainly noises, footsteps etc. One older and normally grounded driver insisted that one night his sleeping bag was being pulled as he was drifting off and after the driver had checked no one was around larking about and the doors were firmly locked he settled down again only to have the same thing happen again only this time much more violently, that was enough for him he jumped into the seat in his underwear and drove out parking up much farther down the road where he felt safer.
He actually told me this himself and others and was quite definite about it, he also never parked there again. Some of the lads just wouldn’t stop there especially alone when everyone else had gone home, I was either too knackered or on the best end of a few pints to have my sleep disturbed when overnighting, like a few others, we tended to laugh at these stories but those that experienced something were adamant things had happened! Franky.

I have somewhere a newspaper cutting about the sighting on the A45 south of Coventry. It concerns a report made by a local police officer who saw an old waggon which was on fire running off the road at Knightlow hill when he went to assist at the scene he could find no evidence of waggon or driver. This was on the piece of road just before what was the old Dun cow pub and Bobs cafe, the same thing has been seen on more than one occasion and there was an accident many years ago at that location.

I am sure that most of the old lorry drivers have a story to tell of a time that had an eerie feeling or something that just didn’t seem quite right.
In the late 90’s we moved over to Australia and I was really pleased that after a couple of weeks I had got myself a driving job at a mushroom farm to the west of Brisbane. The Scania 112 that I had been given was a few years old with many miles on the clock but it had been well looked after. It had quite a few extras including an air conditioning unit on the roof, tinted windows, long range fuel tanks on both sides of the chassis, a large galvanised Roo bar and it was sprayed in a very smart gun metal blue livery. It had no problems pulling a forty foot refrigerated trailer full of mushrooms with it’s Mushroomman logo painted on the side.
One of my drops was to the Rocklea fruit and veggie markets not far from the Brisbane city centre and it must have been on my second night that this incident happened. It was just after midnight after I had unloaded myself and I then started my journey back to the mushroom farm. Shortly after I had left the metropolitan area of Brisbane and was heading through the countryside something caught my eye on the drivers side of the window.
Three lights appeared in the distance which looked like they were flying along vertically in a straight line. I could see them fairly clearly, a white one, a red one and a blue one. I watched them for about a minute and then thought that I would have to have a better look. I looked up to switch the radio above the windscreen off and to wind down the window but as I looked out they had disappeared just as quickly as they had arrived. It started me wondering what on earth they could have been flying around at that time of the night. I knew that there was a big Royal Australian Air Force base at Amberley which would have been less that fifty kilometres away so maybe it could have been a couple of their Chinook helicopters on a night exercise somewhere out in the bush. What ever it was had now gone and so I wound up the window to keep the colder air in the cab and to stop the warmer outside summer air from getting in.
For the next ten minutes or so I drove along with one eye on the road in front watching for any kangaroos that would unexpectedly jump out in front of the truck just as you were about to pass them. The other eye kept glancing out to the right just for anything unusual and after a couple of minutes those three light appeared again. They were definitely there, I wasn’t imagining it and so I pulled the truck up to a quick stop and leapt out of the drivers door.
By the time my feet had touched the ground the lights had disappeared again and I stood there scanning the horizon for a few minutes. All I could see in the far far distance was a white strobe light flickering from an aircraft to the north of Brisbane which was probably a delayed flight to Singapore or Hong Kong or even The Flying Doctor on one of his call outs but that was defiantly not the three lights that I had seen in a line minutes before. I could make out Brisbane behind me in the distance, the warm orange glow from it’s street lights were reflecting on the sky above it but where ever I looked the was no sign of those three strange lights.
I had heard a bit before about the mysterious Min Min Lights, those bright white lights that the Aboriginal people of Eastern Australia had supposedly talked about for thousands of years but I didn’t think that there was ever any mention of a red and a blue light.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_Min_light
After a few minutes I decided that I would probably never know what those three lights were and more importantly in about an hours time I could be home in bed and so I decided to carry on back to the farm. As I was driving along I just couldn’t stop myself from glancing over to my right just in case they made one more appearance.
When I had turned off the sealed road and stopped at the farm gate I had to get out of the cab to take the chain off the gate. It was never locked, the chain was just drooped over the gate and the gatepost. I scanned the horizon one more time trying to think what on earth it was that I had seen twice that night before climbing back into the cab of the Scania. As I was driving over the cattle grid next to the gate those three lights appeared again in the drivers side window and straight away I realised what they were.
The bulb which illuminated the heater controls inside the dashboard was probably not sitting in it’s holder properly or there was a loose wire somewhere. As the bulb had come on intermittently probably as the truck had gone over a bump it was the reflection on the drivers side tinted window that had caught my eye, blue at the bottom, white in the middle and red at the top.
I still remember that hot summers night wearing only a pair of shorts, a tee shirt and a pair of flip flops. The smell of the night scented Jasmine, the chirping of the cicadas, looking up at the zillions of stars that stretched along The Milky Way into infinity and thinking to myself, “Wot A Wally”. :blush:

Very nice Steve.

Jeff…

We’ve got Ghosts in our yard (or Fairy’s).

We often get allocated a different trailer from the day before & it’ll be full of defects, broken lense’s, bulbs blown, flat tyres, ripped curtains, missing curtain buckles etc.

It couldn’t possibly be the fact that the driver from the day before hasn’t reported the defects. :unamused:
(after all, they’re all ‘Professional Class 1 Drivers’ :laughing:)

I was running down to Istanbul in the mid-eighties and had just crossed into Romania from Hungary at Nadlac. Just after Arad, I picked up a young lady; one of the many that spent their time travelling across the country in the cabs of foreign lorries; keeping the drivers company. After Carensebes, darkness fell and we continued for about an hour with my passenger not uttering a word, just sitting there looking straight ahead; not even rummaging through my cassette tapes like those girls usually did. Coming up to a railway level-crossing, I slowed down because I knew they were anything but level. At this point the girl became extremely animated and cried out,
“Stop, stop.”
I thought she wanted to get out, so rolled to a halt just before the railway tracks. As I did so, a single box-car railway wagon loomed-up out of the darkness on the left and rolled silently across the road; disappearing into the darkness on the right.
“Bloody hell,” I thought, “she did well to spot that.”
“Go, go good go,” she urged and we continued.
I drove for another couple of hours before pulling over into a Rest Area; the girl was asleep, curled up on the passenger seat. I got out for a pee but when I climbed back into the cab; the girl had disappeared. I got out again with my torch and checked around the lorry but found no-one. I made a coffee and thought about where she could have gone. Feeling un-easy about staying in the Rest Area; I pushed on to Turnu-Severin before going to bed.
The weird thing about the whole episode was that I was driving a high-cab Scania 112. They had three steps up into the cab and a little light that illuminated them when the door was opened. Opening either door activated the little lights on both sides of the cab. I knew that and was watching to see if she opened the passenger door all the time that I stood there having a pee. That light never came on, so how did she get out of that cab and where did she go?

A good story Chris. Surely that must have the makings of another book. I enjoyed the last one very much.
Cheers, Archie.

I’ve had and seen unexplainable things, not sure if they’re ghostly happenings or not.

I ‘hit’ a stranded car on the A55 one night a couple of hundred yards from the St Asaph turning, didn’t see it until the last minute then saw the hazard lights a split second before I hit it, heard the smash and felt the cab jolt, coasted to a stop on the slip road and got out, nothing behind me on the carriageway, no cars, people or debris, and no damage whatsoever on the truck.

Was running up to Scotland early hours of a morning and was just after Jct 44 as it went back into three lanes from the two I saw a guy dressed in a full length black raincoat with a ■■■■■■■■■ hat on and carrying shotguns in both hands, he was just standing there on the southbound hard shoulder facing the carriageway, I saw him out the side window and just thought WTF, then clocked him in the mirror as well, I was already on the phone to a mate a couple of miles or so behind and this had stopped our conversation dead, I told him what I saw expecting him to see the same when he passed there but he didn’t see anyone or anything anywhere in that area!

well…not long after passing my test i was running stone chips to laybys and to be honest we were on bonus so it was balls out all day…
anyway i was running out of Morrington quarry to south o langholm ,so Dumfries ,lochmaben ,Lockerbie route .
The day was going well was out in front o the pack coming out of Lochmaben passed the filling station and just before the old sewage works and the fishermens layby on the opposite side of the road (in them days it was a blind corner) and just before i came up to the corner all i heard was STOP…STOP…(no radio,had the windows up…leyland Clydesdale) so i stood on the brakes and when the corner opened up all i could see was a car sitting in the middle o the road the driver talking to a fisherman!!!.
wi another o our motors heading back to reload.
I was able to pull up no problem and the rest o the chargers behind did the same,normally i would have came round the corner wi no chance to stop :open_mouth:
I unloaded at the old road and the rest o the guys came over and asked how the hell did i know the car was there ■■?
It was one o the weirdest things that ever happened to me hearing the voice shouting stop, i more than likely would have died that day hitting the car and the hard chargers behind would have ran intae me as well…to this dayi still cant figure it out. jimmy.

Good to hear they are not all out to murder us in our beds :smiley:

I do believe there are “Guardian Angels” watching over what we do. When I think about some of the situations that I have been through and how I’ve come out of them unscathed; it makes me shudder.