Getting your arse dry [zb]ed for £7 an hour

Conor:

Terry T:
That’s a double shafting then. £8.50 is only 13% more than £7.50. Whenever I’ve done LTD or Umbrella it was ALWAYS 25% more. The agency will be pocketing the other 12% they owe you. Then any money you might make by using an Umbrella scheme will be sucked up in fees by the Umbrella company. And £7.50 is crap to begin with.

And don’t forget that if they do talk you into umbrella then unlike doing agency on PAYE you won’t be entitled to the same pay rate/min contracted hours as the employed bin men once you’ve been there 12 weeks as is your right under AWR. I bet the bin wagon company’s employees are getting paid more than £7.50/hr.

I’ve been told to steer clear of umbrella schemes and thats what I’m planning to do.

I honestly think their are blokes who aint that arsed about the money & are happy to take the £7 per hour as long as they aint talked to like a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ & they enjoy the work. Then there’s lads who only care about the shilling & aint arsed about the work or who talks to them like crap. Shades in between as well but most fall in to either camp.

Silver_Surfer:
I honestly think their are blokes who aint that arsed about the money & are happy to take the £7 per hour as long as they aint talked to like a piece of [zb] & they enjoy the work. Then there’s lads who only care about the shilling & aint arsed about the work or who talks to them like crap. Shades in between as well but most fall in to either camp.

end of the day nice words don’t pay the bills. And I certainly don’t go to work for the love of the sport. New clean wagon or dirty crap heap but thirty sovs more, then it’s the money every day.

I get 25k per year salary regardless of the hours. I get the same basic in my bank every month regardless of holidays so it is a proper salary. Some weeks I do 62 hours some weeks I do 45 hours (I base the average about 55 - can’t be arsed to work out the hourly rate). I’m rarely under stress and pull curtains, tippers and flats. The gaffer is a good bloke and drives himself doing the same jobs as us. He is a one man band/family firm with 7 trucks and I think 12 trailers.

I’ve been with him nearly 3 years and he’s a good bloke to work for. I get tax free bonuses a couple of times a year and £500 was the last one :wink: and we get treated to a Christmas do with partners (we pay for nothing :smiley: ) and also get a card for birthdays (I think a nice touch).

I think job satisfaction and being happy where you work is far more important than the hourly rate as such. As long as you have enough for the bills and some left in your pocket and are relatively happy at work then what has it got to do with anyone else :smiley:

Ideally I want to work 1 day a week on Monday starting at 10:00 and finishing about 12:00 on the same Monday for around £1000 per week :wink: until I find that job I’ll stay where I am :laughing: :laughing:

Radar19:

tachograph:
The agency should be paying 8 hours minimum.

That 8 hours a day or 8 hours a week?

8 hours per shift.

Some agencies will try to get out of paying a minimum of 8 hours but personally I won’t work for them.

I’ve twice gone to a job to find the agency had double booked, after 10 minutes I’ve been on my way home and still been paid 8 hours at Sunday rates, happy days :smiley:

Great thread- surely no ones on £7 per hour since the 90’s…

Dipper_Dave:
Great thread- surely no ones on £7 per hour since the 90’s…

Surely no one was on £7 ph even in the 90’s :wink:

tachograph:

Radar19:

tachograph:

8 hours per shift.

Some agencies will try to get out of paying a minimum of 8 hours but personally I won’t work for them.

I’ve twice gone to a job to find the agency had double booked, after 10 minutes I’ve been on my way home and still been paid 8 hours at Sunday rates, happy days :smiley:

When I call them on Monday I’ll tell them that I want the 8 hours minimum. If they try and wriggle I’ll say they can find someone else.

Radar19:

tachograph:

Radar19:

tachograph:

8 hours per shift.

When I call them on Monday I’ll tell them that I want the 8 hours minimum. If they try and wriggle I’ll say they can find someone else.

Have a look at my reply to you in the other £7 ph thread. You’ll defo get eight hours , but it wouldn’t hurt to confirm that as your a youngster and agency are pretty scummy so might try to take advantage of your inexperience.

as i,m the one who owned up to what i earn on the other thread, and gave reasons to why, i find it strange that those who are moaning and throwing insults around ect are the ones that are claiming they are on the good money?

dle1uk:
as i,m the one who owned up to what i earn on the other thread, and gave reasons to why, i find it strange that those who are moaning and throwing insults around ect are the ones that are claiming they are on the good money?

I think they are moaning because people taking the work for such low pay, are keeping the pay rates down. If people stop working for poor money the rates will slowly go up.

dle1uk:

I’m on sheeeet money for London , but I’d rather push trolleys around Tesco car park than drive a lorry for seven pound an hour. Seriously it’s disgraceful and a joke that anyone would think so low of themselves to do that.

but why do something you hate for a quid or two more??

the nearest vacancy to me is 7 miles travel and that is a part time cleaner at a pub/restaurant, the nearest driving vacancies are day tipper work again around 7.50 per hour, and the nearest being 13 miles, anything more then that and it will involve travelling at least 20 miles…

but hey i will sell my small holding and move closer to the industrial areas so i can earn that £2 more to keep everyone happy…

I think we all agree that £7ph is a poor rate & truck drivers are worth a lot more (the good ones anyway), but, lets get one thing straight…

Shelf stackers and the like do not take home as much money each week as a trucker driver, even if their hourly rate is similar. The whole “you may as well get a job in Tesco” argument is ■■■■■■■■ because you simply won’t get anywhere near as many hours. I’ve worked as a shelf stacker for Tesco, and you’d be lucky to take home £250 a week. That’s the dilemma.

Fulham FC:

dle1uk:

I’m on sheeeet money for London , but I’d rather push trolleys around Tesco car park than drive a lorry for seven pound an hour. Seriously it’s disgraceful and a joke that anyone would think so low of themselves to do that.

but sorry mate your no better then me, probably worse, you are saying your driving for ■■■■■ money for your area so why stick it, surely jobs in London are alot more easier to come by… with a hell of alot more choice of job then where i choose to live…

m_attt:

dle1uk:

I think they are moaning because people taking the work for such low pay, are keeping the pay rates down. If people stop working for poor money the rates will slowly go up.

Nonsense. Wages are set by market forces, location and driver availability. The idea that we could get more simply because we demand it is self-defeating. If we force rates to go up, companies will go bust, and there will be a huge influx of drivers onto the job market. Employers will be able to pick and choose, pay as little as they like, and wages will go down, not up.

rob22888:
I think we all agree that £7ph is a poor rate & truck drivers are worth a lot more (the good ones anyway), but, lets get one thing straight…

Shelf stackers and the like do not take home as much money each week as a trucker driver, even if their hourly rate is similar. The whole “you may as well get a job in Tesco” argument is ■■■■■■■■ because you simply won’t get anywhere near as many hours. I’ve worked as a shelf stacker for Tesco, and you’d be lucky to take home £250 a week. That’s the dilemma.

what I have tried to point out but it keeps getting missed is that I am not saying its good pay, but when i look at the whole package and my own lifestyle and the savings i make things add up to make it worth it… …

nobody would come into this industry at all if they only looked at the wages… but new guys are coming into the industry every day because its what they want to do…

dri-diddly-iver:
I get 25k per year salary regardless of the hours. I get the same basic in my bank every month regardless of holidays so it is a proper salary. Some weeks I do 62 hours some weeks I do 45 hours (I base the average about 55 - can’t be arsed to work out the hourly rate). I’m rarely under stress and pull curtains, tippers and flats. The gaffer is a good bloke and drives himself doing the same jobs as us. He is a one man band/family firm with 7 trucks and I think 12 trailers.

I’ve been with him nearly 3 years and he’s a good bloke to work for. I get tax free bonuses a couple of times a year and £500 was the last one :wink: and we get treated to a Christmas do with partners (we pay for nothing :smiley: ) and also get a card for birthdays (I think a nice touch).

I think job satisfaction and being happy where you work is far more important than the hourly rate as such. As long as you have enough for the bills and some left in your pocket and are relatively happy at work then what has it got to do with anyone else :smiley:

Ideally I want to work 1 day a week on Monday starting at 10:00 and finishing about 12:00 on the same Monday for around £1000 per week :wink: until I find that job I’ll stay where I am :laughing: :laughing:

I love you.

Terry T:

Radar19:
£7 an hour or no job at all. Choose wisely.

I bet bosses love you.

The problem is, or should be, £7 an hour is money you can get doing almost anything else. Jobs that are usually far easier and require less investment than being a truck driver. Driving for that money makes you a mug IMO.

It’s a different mentality ‘up north’ to ‘down south’.

Down here, we have such huge overheads to pay out, that we physically CANNOT work for crappy £7ph rates. If we did, we’d be “paying to go to work” in terms of net outgoings over income.

Up north, something (I’m not quite sure what) is cheaper about the cost of living. It isn’t mortgages/rents because they are still as sky-high as down here. It isn’t food prices in the supermarkets - because they too, have a kind of “national scale” if you like. Neither is it “utility bills” who are quite happy ripping off our northern cousins just as much as we southern folk…

So… Is there anyone out there who can offer a better explanation to “Why northerners can work for £7ph and we darn sarth types cannot” - other than it being some kind of “working class inverted snobbery pride” thing? :open_mouth: :confused:

Maybe it costs less to get laid up north, or there’s actually still some pubs in their neighbourhood? - I’m open to suggestions here! :stuck_out_tongue:

dle1uk:

Fulham FC:

dle1uk:

but sorry mate your no better then me, probably worse, you are saying your driving for [zb] money for your area so why stick it, surely jobs in London are alot more easier to come by… with a hell of alot more choice of job then where i choose to live…

Because I start work at 10.30 and on a good day I can be finished by 2.30, I’m getting annoyed if I go past 3.30 . Plus it’s much better than £7.00 obviously and to use others arguments it’s ten minutes by push bike from my house . Despite this ill definitely be leaving before December.