Getting fed up with agencies

I’m getting really naffed off with the agency work now. I’ve got to a point where i need to know what my weeks work will be, i’m fed up of calling the agency every day at regular intervals only to be told that there’s no work or there’s work but it starts at stupid o clock and i won’t get back for me nipper in the morning so i can’t do it.

Is it so hard to find a regular job with the hours that suit both me and the employer■■?

Fed up with feeling at the bottom of the ladder again where the work is concerned. I hate not working, i get withdrawal symptoms if i’m not driving, it gets me down and peeved off.

Just having a sound off… sorry

Agencies like people who will recieve a call telling them to go to work at 3am (when it’s 0230) with an "I’ll get my coat…’
They tend to put people with limted availability down the list some, even if you’re a good worker. Haulage isn’t a job usually associated with people having lives, or families they see more than once a week. Sorry, but that’s the way it is. Maybe when the WTD comes in, they’ll be willing to be more flexible… we shall see.

tiggz ive just been told tonight that B&Q are going to get VERY busy in the run up to christmas apparently they have a massive amount of containers to shift in the nexy few weeks and a whole load of D.C. work to be donw so get back on the phone to the T.M.

Jammy - i’m hoping that i’ll get the phone call, i’ve called him twice now, i’m not going to keep rattling that cage.

I know i’m not an ideal worker where my situation is concerned, but there must be someone out there that can guarantee me work between these hours and not keep letting me down.

a sad tiggz :cry:

In my very limited experience with agencies I find there’s initially a “honey moon” period where by a fair bit of work is passed your way. This tends to last 2-3 weeks either because you knock back some work you never want to do again or because you don’t answer the phone at silly times in the morning…

I’m now with my 4th agency in 6 months and probably looking for a 5th. Last night the phone started at 2:30 am, woke my on the sofa but darned if I was going to answer and went to bed. It continued to ring, mobile and home phone, till 7:30 am about 10-15 times. By 8 am I was awake but do you think it wrung again ? Guess I’m looking for another agent. :slight_smile:

But I got my class 1 re-test booked for friday so up 'em !! (asuming I pass)

tiggz:
Jammy - i’m hoping that i’ll get the phone call, i’ve called him twice now, i’m not going to keep rattling that cage.

I know i’m not an ideal worker where my situation is concerned, but there must be someone out there that can guarantee me work between these hours and not keep letting me down.

a sad tiggz :cry:

Woolworths.
Just because they stitched you up on one run, who cares ! its happens most days in most transport companys, beavers will give you as much work as you want at whatever start times you want in there at this time of the year !

Gurner, i don’t mind being stitched up but when it could possible jeopardise my health to the extent of not being able to work i’m not going to take the risk.

tiggz:
Gurner, i don’t mind being stitched up but when it could possible jeopardise my health to the extent of not being able to work i’m not going to take the risk.

Unfortunately, you’re not in a position to be calling the shots. The work is there if you’re prepared to put what’s happened in the past behind you and move on. You know what happened last time so this time you should be prepared for it and be able to act accordingly.

Given your obvious difficulties due to your child I think if it were me I’d be looking at a different line of work as it’s clearly not working out to your liking. At the end of the day the haulage companies are in business to make money and I don’t blame them for not offering you any work when you go in with ‘well I can work 10am-noon but not noon while 2pm etc’.

If you can’t find something suitable at this time of the year then you may as well give up now because come the New Year you’ll be finding yourself sat about twiddling your thumbs for extremely long periods of time.

tiggz,
not sure on the hours you want to work but im guessing you want to start early am ie) 2am and be finshed by 8 or 9 am.
if that was the case i would suggest jacking it in on the trucks and getting a van job delivering newspapers to the shops.
or if im wrong tell me to shut up :wink:

Unfortunately, you’re not in a position to be calling the shots. The work is there if you’re prepared to put what’s happened in the past behind you and move on. You know what happened last time so this time you should be prepared for it and be able to act accordingly.

Given your obvious difficulties due to your child I think if it were me I’d be looking at a different line of work as it’s clearly not working out to your liking. At the end of the day the haulage companies are in business to make money and I don’t blame them for not offering you any work when you go in with ‘well I can work 10am-noon but not noon while 2pm etc’.

If you can’t find something suitable at this time of the year then you may as well give up now because come the New Year you’ll be finding yourself sat about twiddling your thumbs for extremely long periods of time.

Firstly acting accordingly where warehouse staff repeatedly overload cages so that they cannot be physically moved is not down to me but the health and safety of the said company. I will continue to refuse work for this company on that basis alone.

As for looking at a different line of work! after 25 years of wanting something so badly, forking out the money to do my test and passing and then busting my baps to get work to get my foot in the market i refuse to look into any other career other than driving. As for my working hours i’m available for 15 hour shifts straight through so where ya got the 10 - 12noon thing from i don’t know.

When an agency calls me up at 7pm at night and they expect me to accept a job that’s gunna be a 12 hour shift i cannot do it simply because i have to be back by 6 for my little boy.

To be quite honest with you click, i could sit at home scrounge of you lot through the government but then i’ve always been told that i take the hard options in life. I choose to work nights, i choose to be a single mother, i choose to work my baps off to make ends meet. As for haulage companies making money, i’ve never had a firm yet turn round and say they can’t allow me to do the job because of the hours i can’t work. If anything they have totally worked round me and appreciated what i do in my life to make ends meet.

me not drive… laffs… ain’t going to happen.!!!

dave:
tiggz,
not sure on the hours you want to work but im guessing you want to start early am ie) 2am and be finshed by 8 or 9 am.
if that was the case i would suggest jacking it in on the trucks and getting a van job delivering newspapers to the shops.
or if im wrong tell me to shut up :wink:

the hours of working availability is from 3 in the afternoon to 6am the next morning…

tiggz:

Firstly acting accordingly where warehouse staff repeatedly overload cages so that they cannot be physically moved is not down to me but the health and safety of the said company. I will continue to refuse work for this company on that basis alone.

As for looking at a different line of work! after 25 years of wanting something so badly, forking out the money to do my test and passing and then busting my baps to get work to get my foot in the market i refuse to look into any other career other than driving. As for my working hours i’m available for 15 hour shifts straight through so where ya got the 10 - 12noon thing from i don’t know.

When an agency calls me up at 7pm at night and they expect me to accept a job that’s gunna be a 12 hour shift i cannot do it simply because i have to be back by 6 for my little boy.

To be quite honest with you click, i could sit at home scrounge of you lot through the government but then i’ve always been told that i take the hard options in life. I choose to work nights, i choose to be a single mother, i choose to work my baps off to make ends meet. As for haulage companies making money, i’ve never had a firm yet turn round and say they can’t allow me to do the job because of the hours i can’t work. If anything they have totally worked round me and appreciated what i do in my life to make ends meet.

me not drive… laffs… ain’t going to happen.!!!

Well if you’ve got it all worked out and all these companies are so accommodating then tell me why you’re sat at home twiddling your thumbs?

tiggz,
going by the hours you are available i would have thought finding a job to siut would be very easy.
many supermarket rdc ,s employ night drivers who,s shifts start at 5 or 6 pm and finish around 2 or 3 am.
and most companies dont overload there cages.
i dont know if there are any in your area but even if you have to look slightly further afield you still have plenty of time for commuting.

hhhhhhmmmmmm please show me where it states that i’ve got it all worked out■■?

As for companies accommodating me in the past, i don’t know what planet your on but it kinda works like this around here…

agency a has said contract 1 2 3
agency b has said contract 4 5 6 and cover maybe 1 or 3 of agency a
agency c has said contract 7 8 9 and same as above.

Not all agencies have all the same contracts so, yeah i may have worked for an accommodating company in the past doesn’t necessarily mean that my current agency will have the same contracts as the previous ones. Ain’t rocket science.

(feels the vibes of someone whose no longer allowed to post)

:laughing:

There is plenty of work about if you bother to look for it.

Within seconds of loading up the JobCentre website I’ve found a class 1 trunking job delivery cream from Swindon.

£13.50/hr 6pm-10pm
£15.30/hr after 10pm.

Agency = Aspire 2, 0117 921 8989.

Hundreds of other jobs at £10/hr and above doing night work.

Don’t understand what the problem is. Sounds like another driver who wants to sit around and wait for the work to come to him/her.

dave:
tiggz,
going by the hours you are available i would have thought finding a job to siut would be very easy.
many supermarket rdc ,s employ night drivers who,s shifts start at 5 or 6 pm and finish around 2 or 3 am.
and most companies dont overload there cages.
i dont know if there are any in your area but even if you have to look slightly further afield you still have plenty of time for commuting.

appreciated dave, but it’s the travelling, i’m in swindon, alot of the supermarket RDC’s are bracknell, chepstow, reading, bristol. By the time i’ve taken cost of petrol out, i’d be earning even less, it just wouldn’t pay. Already thought about it.

Icelands in swindon i can’t do becuase i cannot get the inner door up or down, sorry i’m 5ft 5 and wafe like not built for moving 300kg cages either.

Click Happy:
There is plenty of work about if you bother to look for it.

Within seconds of loading up the JobCentre website I’ve found a class 1 trunking job delivery cream from Swindon.

£13.50/hr 6pm-10pm
£15.30/hr after 10pm.

Agency = Aspire 2, 0117 921 8989.

Hundreds of other jobs at £10/hr and above doing night work.

Don’t understand what the problem is. Sounds like another driver who wants to sit around and wait for the work to come to him/her.

That job has gone and is was a shunting job not driving.

As for sounding like a driver who wants to sit around and wait for the work, don’t judge everyone by your standards hun… doesn’t work in this life unfortunately.

Tiggz,

Have you tried Howard Tenens in Swindon? I don’t know what they’ve got available at the moment,but might be worth a try.

I’ve worked at the Andover depot for 2 1/2 years now and I don’t have any bother with the company.

Hope this is a help. Website:http://www.tenens.com

Dan.

Most of the LGV jobs on the Jobcenter web site in this area are agencies. When you ring the agency about the vacancy, the job does not exist and they put you on the Books. I am registered with 2 agencies and other than not wanting nights out, available for any work, including steel. In this area there is a shortage of drivers with steel experience but I still have not had any calls from my 2 agencies in the last 2 weeks. I have applied for jobs and had no response, I have also been given a couple of weeks work after applying for a job advertised in the jobcenter. Some drivers are lucky and live in area’s that do have a driver shortage some of us are not so lucky. Don’t assume that because some area’s are busy everyone must be able to find a job. I am like Tiggz I hate not working, I would love to have a permanent Job and not rely on agencies but no one is taking on in this area, if you know different please let me know who it is and I will apply

Regards
Westie

westie:
… Some drivers are lucky and live in area’s that do have a driver shortage some of us are not so lucky. Don’t assume that because some area’s are busy everyone must be able to find a job…

Amen - well said…