Getting 'bullied' off the forums

I know a lot of banter goes on in here which is great in most parts, but where would you draw the line on it becoming over personal and antagonistic on certain members? Are the forum rules being adhered to? I realise there will be give and take so to speak, and some getting away with perhaps a bit more than they should.
The recent agency thread probably got out of hand and at the end of the day, you all drive a lorry for a living…

Quick re-edit

Get lost!

The idiots you come across on here are the ones you meet at RDC’s and on the road.

I don’t see anyone getting bullied on these forums. An enormous pee take sometimes, heated discussions where neither side will concede, profound differences of opinion, but when you talk about bullying, you are talking about an act against a specific person in an environment that they cannot escape from, workplace or school etc. If you find a thread unsavoury, just don’t delve into it again - simples!!! Problem sorted.

None of that on here chap, they won’t stand for it and rightly so. ■■■■ taking, lively banter and debates. That’s how it should be

Good topic and I know Connor has left us for a while on one of his self inflicted sebaticles after coming under a bit of indirect pressure, always liked him so feel a bit guilty I was singled out as one of the protagonists.

However one should realise that Connor gives as good as he gets and in some cases can be one of the most abusive members on here, also the small matter that the thread in question was tongue in cheek banter.

That said bullying in text form due to the power of the written word and how its perceived by our frontal lobe (or hippocampus or any other made up clever word i can come up with) can be very damaging and feel very personal to boot.

I often self depricate when I feel one of my posts is coming across as to condescending and try and resist the urge of ‘pile ons’, but at the end of the day we all make misstakes and no one is perfect, well apart from Connor :wink:

In the end to laugh at another poster we are just laughing at ourselves, we are all drivers and mostly grown ups but in an industry where banter and colleague ribbing is rife.

LIBERTY_GUY:
I don’t see anyone getting bullied on these forums. An enormous pee take sometimes, heated discussions where neither side will concede, profound differences of opinion, but when you talk about bullying, you are talking about an act against a specific person in an environment that they cannot escape from, workplace or school etc. If you find a thread unsavoury, just don’t delve into it again - simples!!! Problem sorted.

Agree with all that hence the ‘bullied’

Recent events and some non recent have seen some errrr depart, maybe not quite voluntarily?!

Goldilox:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Agree with all that hence the ‘bullied’

Recent events and some non recent have seen some errrr depart, maybe not quite voluntarily?!

I know some forums where contributors get banned for three months without warning, for incredibly petty things, so this forum is quite good.

Conor had the cheek to call me a crap driver in one posting where I asked why some drivers have their keys taken off them by security, bearing in mind I do tipper and industrial work, so have never been to a RDC or similar. I didn’t take offence though, as I appreciate Conor has been unable to get any work other than doing a bit of agency stuff, so guess his frustrations about nobody wanting to employ him directly get to him, which sometimes which lead to some strange postings on here. The world has changed though and people just need to adapt.

Best to treat a forum for what it is though - cyberspace.

Dipper_Dave:
Good topic and I know Connor has left us for a while on one of his self inflicted sebaticles after coming under a bit of indirect pressure, always liked him so feel a bit guilty I was singled out as one of the protagonists.

However one should realise that Connor gives as good as he gets and in some cases can be one of the most abusive members on here, also the small matter that the thread in question was tongue in cheek banter.

That said bullying in text form due to the power of the written word and how its perceived by our frontal lobe (or hippocampus or any other made up clever word i can come up with) can be very damaging and feel very personal to boot.

I often self depricate when I feel one of my posts is coming across as to condescending and try and resist the urge of ‘pile ons’, but at the end of the day we all make misstakes and no one is perfect, well apart from Connor :wink:

I don’t read everything on here obviously, so maybe I miss some of the comments you refer to. Maybe some people have abnormally large hippocampuses, or is it hippocampi? I don’t suppose they are wavable either :smiley:

In the end to laugh at another poster we are just laughing at ourselves, we are all drivers and mostly grown ups but in an industry where banter and colleague ribbing is rife.

This is probably one of the best forums I’ve seen. Whilst there are obviously going to be differences of opinion, it rarely descends into aggressive name calling. Most of the “banter” is no worse than you’d see/receive at your yard or drop.
It is also one of the few boards where I’ve never seen Godwin’s Law applied!!

how can anyone feel bullied on here by a bunch of women ?

there are one or 2 regular clowns no names mentioned as I would hate to cause offence to anyone on here, but there just full of there own crap same as we all are.

my crap smells just as bad as anyone else’s we are not politicians or do much public speaking, in fact no one listens to a driver anyway as there all bell ends in this world.

so who on earth would want to bully one ?

there is banter and wind ups on here and any one with half a brain will just have a good laugh at what goes on, nothing better than seeing drivers get there handbags out over an issue, or the smart arsed comments that follow and some really are so funny

if you have no sense of homour then what are you doing in the driving game ? find an office job or a more serious way of life or get a job at stobarts

think this is a nanny state attitude we have, I don’t agree with all on here but despite how heated we get or disagree its one person view versus another. the only times someone gets any grief is normally when they are either too touchy or its deserved ( and I bite as much as some on here ), as others have said we are all grown men/women in an industry notorious for ‘■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

if you think having the ■■■■ took out of you is bullying then maybe being on a forum isn’t the best place (look at a good few who have been ripped on here but still post etc. and give most of us a good laugh in the main too).

desypete:
how can anyone feel bullied on here by a bunch of women ?

there are one or 2 regular clowns no names mentioned as I would hate to cause offence to anyone on here, but there just full of there own crap same as we all are.

my crap smells just as bad as anyone else’s we are not politicians or do much public speaking, in fact no one listens to a driver anyway as there all bell ends in this world.

so who on earth would want to bully one ?

there is banter and wind ups on here and any one with half a brain will just have a good laugh at what goes on, nothing better than seeing drivers get there handbags out over an issue, or the smart arsed comments that follow and some really are so funny

if you have no sense of homour then what are you doing in the driving game ? find an office job or a more serious way of life or get a job at stobarts

tree
up
barking
wrong

a few seam to get away with going a bit personal. Oddly the one who thinks he knows it all the most probably ■■■■■■ longer than hes been driving.

And the spelling and grammar leave a lot to be desired :slight_smile:

“A few seem to get away with going a bit personal. Oddly the one who thinks he knows it all the most probably ■■■■■■ longer than hes been driving.”

So does that mean Dozy is guilty of bullying himself by posting his antics for us to ridicule?

No bullying here and as said n another post, Conor gives as good as he gets.

Toys being thrown out of the pram and a major flouncing off, with ‘threats’ never to darken the door again happens quite often.

Then almost all come back.

The ones who tend to actually not come back are the ones that just stop posting with no great announcement of their departure.

Happens in the real world as well. Someone in a pub creates a Drama Queen full of threats and promises then storms off before returning a few days/weeks later full of grovelling apologies while someone else thinks - “This place is a bit crap,” and just leaves and never goes back.

As this thread is about a particular member I think anyone who has been on these boards for more than 5 minutes know he is more than capable of holding his own and can give as good as, more sometimes, he gets.

Santa:
And the spelling and grammar leave a lot to be desired :slight_smile:

“A few seem to get away with going a bit personal. Oddly the one who thinks he knows it all the most probably ■■■■■■ longer than hes been driving.”

Got to keep the grammer nazis busy. what would they do all day if people bother to spell check etc. :laughing:

I’m as guilty as anybody else on here of verbally lashing out, but that’s just my nature, of course it’d be nice if we were all touchy freely and got on well but that’s never going to happen. I think of this place as a large and slightly disfunctional family where you’re always going to get the odd spat.

The posters here range from incredibly knowledgeable to incredibly funny through to just incredibly weird which gives this forum its charm imo. The thing to bear in mind at all times is that it’s not real, it’s a make believe world where people with made up names can act their fantasies out, and as such it should be treated that way.

As for Conor, I seriously doubt he’s ever been bullied in his life, probably had a few kickings though :smiley: , if he stays away it’ll be a shame but the world will still turn, and we’ll continue posting as before.

The problem is that thanks to political correctness,a lot of people cant tell the difference between genuine banter,good hearted ribbing and actual bullying.
At the Tesco RDC Livingstone one saturday I went to go onto the recycling bays but lined it up wrong and it took me about 15-20 shunts to get it on the bay (I know :blush: ). When I eventually got it on and went inside,one of the guys took his glasses from his pocket and jokingly handed me them and said “Here you go mr magoo,looks like you need some help”. I took it in the jest it was intended as and laughed it off with them (Well,15 shunts DESERVES the ■■■■ taken!). As I was leaving though,one of the bosses took me aside and asked if I wanted to make a complaint about him! I looked at him like he was mad and said no. When did light hearted banter become cause for complaints and getting someone in trouble?
I dont know for sure who it is this thread is aimed at but if its Conor then he wasnt bullied. It was banter and ribbing and he chucked his toys out the pram. No way in a million years was that bullying. And ive seen him give it out on more than one occasion. But when you have people screaming they were bullied when it was jokey humour then the victims of REAL bullying get lost in the crowd. Work places now are dour,depressing,boring places. Everyone is terrified of “offending” someone.
The worlds getting soft.
Oh no,someones making jokes at my expense,im being bullied.
Oh I didnt get the job,its because of my skin colour
Oh I walked into a lamppost,there should be a sign.Its the councils fault,im suing
Oh my child fell in the park. Its not one of the things kids do,its the councils fault. Im suing
And so on and so on

the maoster:
people with made up names can act their fantasies out

Jesus,dont tell dipper_dave. God knows what we’ll end up with! :laughing: