Getting a job with 9 points on licence

Currently got 6 points on licence.

From looking through job adverts most companies seem to be asking that you have no more than 6 points on your licence.

If you end up with 9 points are you really struggling to get a job… or are companies that desperate for drivers they will overlook it?

I’d guess you’d struggle at places but not at others. As a general rule I’d expect the less attractive companies to be more willing to overlook stuff like this

ineedmoney:
If you end up with 9 points are you really struggling to get a job… or are companies that desperate for drivers they will overlook it?

My mate got sacked from his job when he got 9 points. Basically insurance company wouldn’t cover. Ended up driving for one that has, how shall we say it, a rather lax attitude to the regulations and is on it’s fourth business name in the last 10 years. So yeah you’ll find a job but probably not at anywhere you’d normally ever consider working at.

There are some companies that will give work, but as has already been said, they are probably ones you wouldn’t consider working for if you had any other options.
It can also depend on what the points have been given for, as some offences are looked at as being ‘not as bad’. For example, points for speeding, some companies aren’t bothered, but points for using a mobile phone and they won’t even entertain you.
Also depends how long you have until they are ‘spent’. If they are due to come off your licence soon then you might have a chance, but if you’ve only just got them then no way.
Either way, might be time to start driving a little but more like a professional if you still want to be able to earn a living doing it. Sorry if that sounds patronising or harsh, as that isn’t the intention, but we all need to look after our licences. If you drive with a professional attitude and stick to the rules of the road then you won’t get any points

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There was me thinking “9 points is the new six” these days.

I think you’ll find that firms are more worried about what the points are for, eg. “No DD/DR IN codes on licence”.

…and strangely “CD” - doesn’t get mentioned.

Winseer:
…and strangely “CD” - doesn’t get mentioned.

They prefer vinyl these days

I think you really would struggle to find work with 9 points, however it might not necessarily be impossible, you just need to know which sector of the industry to target.

I know first hand of a company where one driver has an IN10, the boss doesn’t care because they’re already paying through the nose for insurance which covers a number of their other businesses.

You’re talking as if it’s inevitable that you are going to get another 3 points. :open_mouth:
No offence mate but you maybe need to address WHY you have 6 points,.and WHY you assume you are going to get more.

Just noticed your username, is there a connection?..are you tear arsing about like there’s no tomorrow or what?

I’m no better a driver than anybody else,.and I accept luck of the draw I could quite easily get 3 points tomorrow, but Ibaint expecting it.
My licence is clean as I don’t rush around, nor drive like a ■■■■…not saying you do either btw, as I don’t know anything about you…just making a point. :bulb:

A fair few will take you on with 6 points but it may depend on any previous points you have had cleaned and what they were for,like a bad habit of getting caught for the same things,which could set the alarm bells ringing.

And if, for example, they’re all for speeding, your TM will be all over you like a cheap coat for every overspeed that’s recorded, so you’d need to be squeaky clean in the future

I believe Clarks used to take on drivers with a criminal record…

I’ve worked with more than a couple of guys who had a criminal record, most of these records were ones the company had no right to ask about, as there was no company policy demonstrating a good reason to have a DBS: too many companies wrongly believe they have a right to know.

Driving related issues are by far the most relevant thing to a transport employer.

Good point.

Zac_A:
I’ve worked with more than a couple of guys who had a criminal record, most of these records were ones the company had no right to ask about, as there was no company policy demonstrating a good reason to have a DBS: too many companies wrongly believe they have a right to know.

Driving related issues are by far the most relevant thing to a transport employer.

As someone with a criminal record, this has been a serious worry for me before even thinking about taking my tests. I have been informed that a lot don’t really care, but some people have GOT to disclose convictions to any employer - especially if they are still on license.

How this works in the real world, I am yet to find out

mburt 80:

Zac_A:

As someone with a criminal record, this has been a serious worry for me before even thinking about taking my tests. I have been informed that a lot don’t really care, but some people have GOT to disclose convictions to any employer - especially if they are still on license.

Just driving convictions - if you were gun running in the congo forget it.

ineedmoney:
Currently got 6 points on licence.

From looking through job adverts most companies seem to be asking that you have no more than 6 points on your licence.

Get your rigger boots on, egg stained wife beater vest and welcome yourself to the wonderful world of Tippers!

mburt 80:

Is your record spent? Do you know how to find out?
hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/spentposter/

Calor Gas ask for an enhanced DBS, I’ve been told the big supermarkets do too. My former employer asked on the application form but they had no right to, and no one owned up. Some doors may be closed to you, but possibly fewer than you imagine.

With sign on " can of wifebeater" bonus!!

Youll do fine - its your driving after you get the job that sounds like you will kill one of us very soon.

Zac_A:

mburt 80:

Is your record spent? Do you know how to find out?
hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/spentposter/

Calor Gas ask for an enhanced DBS, I’ve been told the big supermarkets do too. My former employer asked on the application form but they had no right to, and no one owned up. Some doors may be closed to you, but possibly fewer than you imagine.

Nope. I am still on License until Feb 22, but I have been told from a really good organisation called Veterans Into Logistics it shouldn’t be a great issue. They, like you, said some doors will be closed, but they deal with certain organisation’s that don’t mind so much.

mburt 80:

Zac_A:

You need to go to a Citizens Advice Bureau and get some info on the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. This outlines what you do and do not have to disclose to a prospective employer and for how long after the offence; it’s a few years now since I worked in recruitment so I an reluctant to be specific myself as the law may have changed.

You will also, no doubt, be aware that there are some jobs for which it is perfectly legitimate for the prospective employer to request a CRB check.

If you had a probation officer, he might well be a good source of information if you’re still in touch with him.

Best of luck.