get a truck satnav?

hi drivers

one quick qs

would like to know if u guys r using normal satnav/truck satnav or old fashion maps? yesterday got stuck just before a low bridge so have to make a blind reverse, was a very valuable experience.thinking to get one of the truck satnavs but looking to the prices, will think twice
thanks

Ok, first things first - WHY did you get to low bridge in the first place?

Did you miss signs?

I use a bog standard car sat nav, but it’s ONLY an aid to get me to end point.

And to be honest I’ll stay with one - Why? Because it makes me more aware of routes it try’s to send me down.

Can be bloody frustrating in an area I don’t know and have to find a way round but I learn from it.

Used to think I should get a truck version but I know I’d end up following blindly so quite happy to have a cheaper car version and stay alert to signs etc

Not having a pop by the way but you really shouldn’t have got any where near bridge if signs are there. If not then blame council[emoji34]

waj1d5:
hi drivers

one quick qs

would like to know if u guys r using normal satnav/truck satnav or old fashion maps? yesterday got stuck just before a low bridge so have to make a blind reverse, was a very valuable experience.thinking to get one of the truck satnavs but looking to the prices, will think twice
thanks

Here’s a REALLY REALLY long thread about them! :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128456

Did that take long to copy and paste [emoji4] we is getting to cynical already me old evil [emoji854]

I used a car tomtom sat nav for 7 years,by chance my mate was selling his HGV trucktables website one for £30 so I thought I’d give it a try as he said if I didn’t like it he would take it back.
Have to say I’m sold!,they are available for £65 off eBay and they are brilliant…obviously they ain’t a substitute for your own eyes and common sense but for what they cost the work very very well.
No chnace id fork out £250+ for a tomtom HGV one when these cheaper ones do the job just the same and at £60 a pop if they all only lasted a year or 2(which I’m sure they won’t) you could buy 4 and it’d still be cheaper than the names ones…tomtom/snooper ect.
Here it is…
hgv-trucktables.co.uk/7-inch … at-nav.php
He also sells them in eBay but slightly more to cover the fees.

Had one of those and yes they are excellent for price, paid only £45 for mine, sold it on here to someone for £20 I think for reasons given above.

Not knocking them but, personally, prefer now not to have. Got a works truck sat nav one that incorporates tracker/messages that I ‘must’ have on. But I’ve not used maps on it for nearly a year! Purely on just for messages

dcgpx:
Did that take long to copy and paste [emoji4] we is getting to cynical already me old evil [emoji854]

LOL - I’ve always been cynical mate! But we’ve done the SatNav debate again and again…
HGV SatNav’s start at £40 for a Nozatech, and go up to £300 for a TomTom 6000 Truck version.
I think the TomTom is better, but maybe not £250 better…

Cue robroy on the topic… :smiley:

First time I’ve used a sat nav that’s made for HGVs in my 10 year driving career,as said only had it because I could have it in trail first,still got my car one too in my locker at work that I use if I get a rigid run as they are too big too fit in a rigids windscreen without them being in the way imo,just use it when out in a artic.

What size do you use? Tv screen lol. Not that big to obstruct if place right

Evil8Beezle:

I’m saying nothing ! :laughing:

Latest TT are crap on Bluetooth. I returned mine as it didn’t do phones! Just some link to put route in. Went to Garmin after years of early TT. I did like the interface of TT but can’t knock Garmin, live traffic(that’s pretty ■■■■ accurate) and map updates for life (ish). Lane pics at junctions is good once you realise what it’s telling you and is helpful even for a HGV

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

Never!!![emoji847]

dcgpx:

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

Never!!![emoji847]

Yeh I know, hard to believe aint it. :laughing:
It’s the new me for 2016 :wink:

HGV trucktables satnav all the way.

OP. Get your hand in your pocket, you tight fisted rascal.

If you aren’t the right tool for the…hang on, that’s not right.

If you don’t have the right tools for the job, leave it to someone else.

eagerbeaver:
If you don’t have the right tool for the job

Where is Paul? :open_mouth:

He got suffocated by his own hair.

dcgpx:
What size do you use? Tv screen lol. Not that big to obstruct if place right

It’s 7",I just find it creates too much of a blind spot in a rigid to the point it distracts me,in a artic it’s fine…might just be me lol
Don’t drive a rigid that often maybe once a week if that I’m mostly a proper trucker :smiley:
We are on salary so don’t lose any money driving a rigid so it’s like a day off getting sent out in one :open_mouth:

I have a tomtom truck 5150, about 2 years old now. Previous was a car based tomtom go920, which the wife has now. I quite like my one, poi are good, local search etc. Traffic is a godsend, (although subscription for live services is £47 per year) helped me a few times get out of s***. My boss liked it, that he bought 20 for the fleet,
I dont follow it blindly, ive always got my wits about me, as once or twice it’s wanted to send me somewhere not wholly suitable.

I was using my car sat nav Garmin nuvi 310 doing multi drops round UK !! did the job, but would route you under low bridges and down restricted roads and yes I would turn off before entering them . I now use a Snooper S7000 which I can input Height, Length, Width and weight of vehicle so it routes me around any restrictions it also doubles as my TV used it for last 5+ years only one address has ever came up as no route possible even though I new I could get there, so in my opinion go for a Truck sat nav .