get a truck satnav?

Actually they start at 25 pounds for phone apps. Which do the same job.

Buy cheap … And spend the money you save on whiskey and whores

xichrisxi:
It’s 7",I just find it creates too much of a blind spot in a rigid to the point it distracts me,in a artic it’s fine…might just be me lol

No I also have this issue, albeit at 5.5" in a rigid mounted position.
No problems when it’s in larger vehicles though. In fact I’ve often thought a larger one would be better but suppose it’s how we use em that counts.

Relying on one device is flawed when we have so many options available like a map book or for those reading this with a dirty mind , ones tongue.

peirre:
Buy cheap … And spend the money you save on whiskey and whores

Go cheaper on Gin , and you could spend on some cigars too :wink:

Mobile phone with Google Maps and a paper low bridge height map to check for bridges/7.5t weight limits if its a route I’m not too sure about. Live traffic and constantly checks routes, notifying you if there is a quicker route. Used it alongside a Satnav for testing and found little difference so I just use Google Maps on my phone now. I’ve got the free Nokia HERE complete with full Europe maps on as backup if I ever find myself with no signal which is the one downside of Google Maps.

Can’t you download areas now for google maps to use offline ?

I can on my iPhone though they only last for 7 days (I think )

Not tried using in anger was just something I saw on another thread so tried.

dcgpx:

You can on android, iOS must be a recent development, this is from an article written 5-6 months ago.

Google has introduced a new offline feature that lets you download offline maps, so you can keep navigating whether you have a connection or not.

Here’s how to get them.
1.Open the Android Google Maps app (Google is still working on an iOS version) and type in the area (destination, city, neighborhood) you want to download in the search bar.

2.When the area loads, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get more information about the location, and press Download.

3.Move the box on the next screen to area in which you want to navigate offline and press Download again.

You can now navigate within that area without a data connection. What’s more, when your phone gets a signal again, Maps will seamlessly transition back to online mode.

I have a Snooper S6800, also has a built in TV which scans the channels in the area you are in (very good reception in all areas I’ve been) and it also has a DAB radio as well.
Keeps me out of trouble (I do keep my maps, old School so will always have them with me) and although these truck sat-nav’s aren’t everyone cup of tea, I love it.

i hated the 5150 sold it after 3 weeks the routing just wasent good but i did like the local search and the traffic i now use a snooper which i find on the whole very good

DearBoy:

dcgpx:

You can on android, iOS must be a recent development, this is from an article written 5-6 months ago.

Google has introduced a new offline feature that lets you download offline maps, so you can keep navigating whether you have a connection or not.

Here’s how to get them.
1.Open the Android Google Maps app (Google is still working on an iOS version) and type in the area (destination, city, neighborhood) you want to download in the search bar.

2.When the area loads, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get more information about the location, and press Download.

3.Move the box on the next screen to area in which you want to navigate offline and press Download again.

You can now navigate within that area without a data connection. What’s more, when your phone gets a signal again, Maps will seamlessly transition back to online mode.

You’ve been able to do this on windows phone since it’s inception. Having said that why not just buy aponia it’s about 25 quid rings on all operating systems. And is a fully featured truck satnav plus there’s a 30 day trial.

You can download a layer for Google maps to show the locations and of heights of low bridges, which I’ve compared to my paper low bridges map and it’s pretty accurate.

Low Bridges UK

goo.gl/maps/vs8QptXxgXA2

Where from?
Clicked the link and it says unsupported.

Google play store.

Ah,I have the far superior iPhone :smiley: …so it won’t work

Sorry, not Google play store, just Google. Think you have to have Google maps installed before it’ll work.

lordsofthewaun:
Sorry, not Google play store, just Google. Think you have to have Google maps installed before it’ll work.

Found it…But,it doesn’t show the 12’9 bridge at all as you head upto Crich nr Matlock also about 3 miles away it shows a 13’ bridge on the A610 heading into Belper yet there is no bridge there whatsoever,I just looked at a area I’m familiar with to see how accurate it was.

The layer will only tell you a bridge is there it won’t route you around it like a satnav will

I only use it for route planning before I leave, not the actual sat nav capability, so I see the low bridges, plan my route accordingly and then set off. I only found it a few weeks ago, so atm have been comparing it with my old fashioned low bridges paper map and so far haven’t had a problem.