German Tips

Im planning on my 1st trip out to Germany having recently got my international o licence, i dont want to get into any bother on my first trip, can anyone help with a few questions pls? :cry:

1. what is max gross weight i can run at in Germany - i have been told i can run at 46 tonnes

2. Do you have to pay the maut or can you get away with it? is there a way round it?

3. What is the max height for a trailer, mine is 4.1 meters coupled up to my Magnum V8500 6x2 P Reg

4. How much tread do i need on tyres, do i need to replace my low ones down at 3mm. Do i need to carry a spare?

5. where can i get cheap diesel and ■■■■ from? ( im crossing Dover - Calais)

Any help would be apriciated i go out for the first time on sunday night :laughing:

Many Thanks

Happy Dave ■■■ :open_mouth:

Happydave:

1. what is max gross weight i can run at in Germany - i have been told i can run at 46 tonnes

40 tonnes for an artic.

Happydave:
2. Do you have to pay the maut or can you get away with it? is there a way round it?

Yes. You could risk it but the chance of getting stopped is very high

Happydave:
3. What is the max height for a trailer, mine is 4.1 meters coupled up to my Magnum V8500 6x2 P Reg

4.0 metres is the height limit in Germany, there are bridges on the Autobahns at 4.0 metres. Note also that bridges of 4.0 metres and above may not be marked with a height, only those less than 4.0 metres will be marked for sure.

Happydave:
4. How much tread do i need on tyres, do i need to replace my low ones down at 3mm. Do i need to carry a spare?

Not sure if Germany have a different tread requiremant to the UK. There is no legal requirement to carry a spare.

Happydave:
5. where can i get cheap diesel and ■■■■ from? ( im crossing Dover - Calais)

If your route to or from Germany can take you through Luxembourg then that is your cheapest for both.

Thanks for that id best double check a few things. I am getting very nervous now only a few days to go until i embarke on my first trip - anyone know how i can make my trailer lower - anyone know where i can get English Breakfasts from i cant survive without them :unamused: :blush: :open_mouth:

HappyDave

You will become a very good cook if you like only fry ups. But B & D serve excellent breakfasts…
The best place for Diesel & ■■■■ going in or out is Jabbeke , Thats the first Services across the F/B border . Be carefull if you stop there coming home as its Grand Central Station for Illegals. If Lux is on your way then diesel is cheapest there. But its not worth making a big detour .■■■■ are the same price… And as Coffee says only bridges under 4m are marked up…That goes for most of the continent… Nothing to be nervous about after the first rush on the corridor coming from the boat you will have plenty of room to get used to things. One little tip. It might pay you to mark a big arrow on a piece of A4 paper. As soon as you get on the boat put it in the screen with the arrow pointing to the right. & when you come home change it around for the side to drive on. It may seem silly but when you relax and you leave a garage or cafe on the national roads,if there is no traffic about ,you can start out driving on the wrong side…Best of luck.

I saw that tip on here a while ago… Never used it myself but wish I had when I first started…

PS. Not been over for a couple of years but I think you can buy all your road taxes at the Ferry peage in Dover…

Not sure about the others but P&O no longer sell the Vignette. You can get it in Ashford Truckstop however, or you could last time I went out.

1,6mm for Sommer tyres, 4.0mm for winter tyres

Bridges are 5% higher than the shown height 4.0m =4.20m (allowing for snow)

Becarful if you are going to use the Nationals (B roads) they are starting to fix Speed cameras which measure the vibration caused by the truck,automaticly switching the camera from car mode (100kph) to truck mode (60kph)

Geoff

here is my contribution,

1. TAKE a look at the useful points forum here as there are many tips on this which will be a help,to you,
  2. max weight 40tns .if you are going to use the KOMBI:ROLA at any time
    when you have a written confirmation of a place on the train then you will
    get away with 42tn, if you are putting the trailer on the railroad on its own then the weight goes up to 44tn all on 5–axles,
    if you are doing a journey in the benelux countries .B:NL: L : YOU CAN
    TRANSPORT 44TN:
    3: Do not try to cheat with the maut as when the check and catch you the
    trouble and strife and the high fines that you will get will hit you in your PROFITS;
    TRY THIS SITE FOR MAUT:http://www.ages.de

this also has a site about the EUROVINGETTE which you require for
BELGIAN; HOLLAND;LUXEMBERG:DANEMARK SWEDEN;
"donot forget this as the normal fine STARTS AT 250€ AND CAN BE HIGHER;
4::YOU are required by EU law to comply with the 4.00m trailer height when not carrying out exceptional transport–heavyhaulage.
the route on the german autobahn from AACHEN --to–KÖLN (A4)
has a few low bridges and if you hit them your firm will get the relevant bill
for any costs incurred due to such a incident,
Tyres 1.6mm is the law but the more tread the better grip your vehicle will
have,as regards winter THE LATEST is that you will be held responsible for any incident ariseing out of a incident due to non use of winterised
tyres in the months where snow tyres are required,

you require also to carry ,the following
Spare Blubs,Fuses,
a first aid box, the ones in Germany are complete as required by law
and cost about 10€ ,a good buy,
warning triangle, hazard lamp, Broom (to clean up when you have a bump)
Hi-Viz VEST…— load restraining straps(all useable and not damaged) for
secureing your load as and when required,
I have added my pennys worth but there is much more that can and will be added by other members,

TWO LAST POINTS:: KEEP YOUR DISTANCE between vehicles the fines have just been increased with also a driveing ban with points which will
be kept in the german DVLC at Flensburg, for non german residents
THE second point keep to the speed limits even if every one else is
going faster, as you will have to pay your fine on the spot and this will not always be a small fine, oh yes they will take credit cards as well,

Happydave:
Im planning on my 1st trip out to Germany having recently got my international o licence, i dont want to get into any bother on my first trip, can anyone help with a few questions pls? :cry:

1. what is max gross weight i can run at in Germany - i have been told i can run at 46 tonnes=40

2. Do you have to pay the maut or can you get away with it? is there a way round it?=YOU HAVE TO

3. What is the max height for a trailer, mine is 4.1 meters coupled up to my Magnum V8500 6x2 P Reg=4 METER,all under 4 Meter is signed,and if it’s not signed is it 4 Meter in so good as all countries on Continent

4. How much tread do i need on tyres, do i need to replace my low ones down at 3mm. Do i need to carry a spare? =2mm

5. where can i get cheap diesel and ■■■■ from? ( im crossing Dover - Calais)=go Calais -Lille-Gent,leave at first Junction in Belgien to turn left away,and you will find a Total-Station after 100 Meter.after fuelling up and having a Meal go back in direction Gent and stay right to go first right past Challeroy to Luettich-Aachen,
    or go past luxembourg and fuell up there,but you will have to fuell up some liter to go there :slight_smile:
    by crossing Zeebrugge is in Zeebrugge a total station

Any help would be apriciated i go out for the first time on sunday night :laughing:
Take Beer and tabak with you,as it is on Continent not that expensive :laughing:

Many Thanks

Happy Dave ■■■ :open_mouth:

yes that is correct ,but www means world wide web and you do have internet
in the majority of good truckstops in Europe.

Happydave:
anyone know how i can make my trailer lower

Yep. You need one of these:

Paul

repton:

Happydave:
anyone know how i can make my trailer lower

Yep. You need one of these:

Paul

kids toy :wink:

you need one of these

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good Morning and thank you all for your replys esp Brit Pete this is all most helpful, it seems there is so much more to think about, im used to a night trunk to Newcastle evry day afterall!!

Can someone explain what a EUROVINGETTE is - do i need it for passing through Holland and Belguim or just for deliveing - if i do where do i get one from and how much are they??

The Maut site recommended is all in German and i struggle to understand does anyone know of an English equvilent site?

I really am nervous now but im sure this is going to open up new horizons for my business

Regards

Happydave ■■

The Vignette is a daily user charge for the motorways in certain countries. You will need it if your route to Germany takes you into Belgium, Holland or Luxembourg, which it most likely will. Sales points are very few and far between in those countries but you can buy it at Ashford Truckstop or at Transmarck near Calais, first exit from the A16 after joining it toward Belgium. It is €8.00 a day but buying it for a week works out less than this. As this is your first trip I would recommend you buy it for all the days you think you will be away, plus one for safety, the price for six days is the same as for seven and is less than 6 x €8. This will give you one less thing to worry about. If you just buy it for the days you need to get to Germany you will have to find a sales place on your way back and that is not always easy.

Toll Collect operate the Maut system and you can find their site, in English, HERE.

Coffee is correct about trying to find an Eurovignette it can be a pain,
Here are a few tips
The eurovignette is run by a German firm in Dßsseldorf, you can phone them ,tell them were you are, and they tell you the nexted place were you can buy one Tel 0221 610780
They have an Internet site www.ages.de
If you go onto thier start page
click “service” then “nutzer Eurovignette” then “GBS standort in Interactivkarte Finden” this gives you a map of all sales points
or click “GBS liste Download” this gives you a list of all sales points in Germany with opening times.

Another thing you can do,if you are for example in belguim monday on your outbound, and you know you will be coming back into Belguim Thursday on your inbound you can buy the Eurovignette in advance for the Thursday,just ask for two, but CHECK the dates,

Geoff

Happydave; Just a question…Why are you changing to int. work…? Is it better money or are you bored stiff with UK work…?

the simple answer in Germany do everything correct,do not do not try any fiddle,the German police are smart,and do know every trick in the book and believe me they do .
Do not even attempt to ovetrake on the motorway where it is banned even if you see others do, even if you are empty and can burn the arse off everybody else.
And if you are stopped for a control,don’t think that they can’t speak english,
because they do. Be polite, and they’ll be polite and there should be no problem.

roundabout:
Do not even attempt to ovetrake on the motorway where it is banned even if you see others do, even if you are empty and can burn the arse off everybody else.

Good point, that can get expensive. :blush: :blush: :blush:
If you are unsure as to whether a no overtaking ban is in place, wait until you pass a service area, lay-by or junction as there will be a reminder sign there if there is a restriction. Some no overtaking restrictions can run for many, many kilometres, 50 km or more is possible.

One other thing.
If you are planning to do Germany regularly and this goes through the summer there are motorway bans on the motorway on saturdays after midday all throughout the summer months the dates you must check ,but I think it is from about the end of june until the end of august.Though it is mostly southern germany but there are different sections in different Bundeslands.The fines if you ignore these baans are horrendous and of course you are parked up on the spot,don’t tell me about it ,I KNOW.!!!
You can drive the old roads where you can,but not on the motorways,just be carefull and check your journey times and make allowances for getting out of the country in time ,eg. if near france holland or luxembourg,make dirct for the nearest to avoid any bans,GOOD LUCK.!