Genuine driving vacancies in Glasgow

In reply to some of the questions / comments:

Yes we would consider newbies although it is likely that driving assessments will be involved in the recruitment process.

Night trunk changeovers are likely to be at Tebay or in the Preston area.

In response to the jibes about hours we already employ around 400 drivers and I doubt that any of them (bar a few trampers who can’t get their head around POA) do more than an average of 45 hours per week. Many do less.

I appreciate that what is on offer is not everyones cup of tea but I read this forum quite regularly and from what I gather there are quite a few of you seeking employment. To those who are interested we would like to hear from you.

We are a well run, progressive, growing company.

Simon

bedgar047:
Shetland Transport @ Coatbridge were paying that 2 year ago, doing exactly the same basically. But you ran south with a load delivered early am went to Langdon’s Redditch parked there till 6 / 7 pm then loaded up to glasgow delivered Hillington, then I think it was Makro Sighthill Edinburgh back to Coatbridge then day shift man took your truck to do the rest.

Hard 2 weeks nights every 6 week…

Correct - and they provide us with a fantastic service :smiley:

Simon71:

bedgar047:
Shetland Transport @ Coatbridge were paying that 2 year ago, doing exactly the same basically. But you ran south with a load delivered early am went to Langdon’s Redditch parked there till 6 / 7 pm then loaded up to glasgow delivered Hillington, then I think it was Makro Sighthill Edinburgh back to Coatbridge then day shift man took your truck to do the rest.

Hard 2 weeks nights every 6 week…

Correct - and they provide us with a fantastic service :smiley:

I have 1st hand experience of the job.
I find the night rate a little on the minus side.
Not trying to knock Langdons at all, I have worked as a subby myself backloading for them and as a driver for other companies backloading.
Brian

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
What firm is it anyway, you failed to mention it

Simon71:
If you are interested in applying then please download an application form from our website http://www.langdons.co.uk and send the completed form to:

The Personnel Office (Glasgow)
Langdon Industries Ltd
Showground Road
Bridgwater
Somerset
TA6 6AJ

dieseldave:
:open_mouth: :grimacing:

Nothing to add. :wink:

Simon71:
In reply to some of the questions / comments:

Yes we would consider newbies although it is likely that driving assessments will be involved in the recruitment process.

Night trunk changeovers are likely to be at Tebay or in the Preston area.

Simon

mines will be in the post in the morning :smiley:

dieseldave:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
What firm is it anyway, you failed to mention it

Simon71:
If you are interested in applying then please download an application form from our website http://www.langdons.co.uk and send the completed form to:

The Personnel Office (Glasgow)
Langdon Industries Ltd
Showground Road
Bridgwater
Somerset
TA6 6AJ

dieseldave:
:open_mouth: :grimacing:

Nothing to add. :wink:

Serves myself right for not reading all the post :blush:

Langdons, heavy on the paperwork, heavy on H&S low on wages, but saying that when I used to the MAKRO run for Shetland the drivers at Reditch seemed quite happy.

Macka Packa:

orys:
That was politically not correct joke, and I know that you are very strict, so I keep for myself why they are wearing kilts for :slight_smile:

So The sheep cant hear the zip.

But They cant hear it anyway if their dead :laughing: ::lol:
(thats why the welsh still wear trousers)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A 10 hour night shift experience says DREAM ON the cards are well stacked against the driver. as there probably will be RDC s involved somewhere .
But if you need a job grab it. :laughing:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Langdons, heavy on the paperwork, heavy on H&S low on wages, but saying that when I used to the MAKRO run for Shetland the drivers at Reditch seemed quite happy.

We are not heavy on paperwork - the drivers have a delivery manifest which needs to be signed by a representative from the delivery point (in addition to the POD). Not difficult and takes 5 seconds longer. But sometimes helps to mitigate claims for thousands of £… but then you are probably only thinking of things from the drivers point of view… whereas us office boys have to make the books balance to keep you lot in jobs :unamused:

As far as H&S goes, yes we take notice of it, we have to as a responsible employer. I am sure that if you had an accident that could be proved was a H&S breach on our part then you would be straight off to Mr Claims Direct. So I’m not going to apologise on my firm’s behalf because we take an interest in H&S.

scania245:
A 10 hour night shift experience says DREAM ON the cards are well stacked against the driver. as there probably will be RDC s involved somewhere .
But if you need a job grab it.

As previously explained there are not RDC deliveries involved in the night driving jobs. It is likely to involve trailer changeovers at Tebay and Preston so 10 hours should be just fine :smiley:

There sure is a lot of cynicism and negativity on here at times…

Well if I was there and able to work, I’d go for it. Like someone else said, a bloody sight better than the dole.

Simon71:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

We are not heavy on paperwork - the drivers have a delivery manifest which needs to be signed by a representative from the delivery point (in addition to the POD). Not difficult and takes 5 seconds longer. But sometimes helps to mitigate claims for thousands of £… but then you are probably only thinking of things from the drivers point of view… whereas us office boys have to make the books balance to keep you lot in jobs :unamused:

As far as H&S goes, yes we take notice of it, we have to as a responsible employer. I am sure that if you had an accident that could be proved was a H&S breach on our part then you would be straight off to Mr Claims Direct. So I’m not going to apologise on my firm’s behalf because we take an interest in H&S.

scania245:
But if you need a job grab it.

As previously explained there are not RDC deliveries involved in the night driving jobs. It is likely to involve trailer changeovers at Tebay and Preston so 10 hours should be just fine :smiley:

There sure is a lot of cynicism and negativity on here at times…

I was talking about all the things you got to sign before you take the vehicle out, then the same when you get back.

H&S in my opinion is only there to stop companies from getting sued and is only pointed out by employers, if a driver pointed something out that would get in the way of getting the job done it would be dismissed.
Take the yard at Reditch for instance, There is not enough room for the amount vehicles that have to use it, the surface is full of holes and ruts, rigid vehicles have to park in the car park. The pedestrian walkway is too close to the front of the vehicles parked on the bays so pedestrians have to walk through a drivers blind spot.
Canteen facilities are a crisp and sweet machine and a coffee machine which a lot of the time is empty, yes that is H&S, but a employees welfare is ignored even though it is part of the Health and Safety at work act.
Is that really taking an interest in H&S

The night lads at redditch did RDC deliveries.

It’s not cynicism it’s realism. The job is squeezed so tight these days that the only thing that can be squeezed any tighter is the driver and with the look of the wages that are on offer these days from companies wanting “PROFESSIONAL” drivers is just laughable.

Management sit in their office, laying down the law without having any knowledge what is going on just outside their office door never mind what is happening whilst the driver is down the road.

£300 a week for fifty hours is a joke really, especially for a company as large as Langdons, but I forgot they’re a German company aren’t they.

Okey-Didley-Dokely,

A few comments on what you have written above:

However, you don’t really know what you are talking about. You have been to one of our seven depots. You obviously haven’t been to Redditch recently as you could play snooker on the yard, no pot holes or ruts anywhere.

Yes the yard isn’t big enough but we only moved there as a temporary measure in 2004 and have been looking for alternative ever since. Sorry we haven’t got a canteen serving four different hot meals to everyone’s taste, however the rest of our staff based there manage OK.

No surprise that you slag off management, but I heard it all before from drivers, it’s water off a ducks back.

The night lads at Glasgow WILL NOT be doing RDC deliveries (as already explained at least twice…)

If you don’t like the way Langdons works or the wages we’re offering then don’t apply. Perhaps you would prefer an employer who pays top dollar wages but then you are likely to end up redundant and on here moaning because you haven’t got a job. And then you compare you wages from your previous job to the “paltry” offerings elsewhere. Whilst not the best paying company out there our wages are realistic, we have been expanding for the last 8-9 years and haven’t had to make drivers redundant in that time.

I’m not going to get into a row with you, and this is off topic to the title of the thread. If you want to continue this then please PM me…

Bump :smiley:

Just in case anyone is interested and has missed this. Thanks to all who have sent in an application, we will be in touch soon.

Any genuine questions I am happy to answer.

Cheers

Simon

I have worked for langdons out of Knowsley industrial estate, liverpool 4 years ago on agency for a year and was doing regular 12-13 hours a day, anything from RDC’s to High street butchers, It was anything from customer’s taking the delivery off to pallet truck to handball deliveries and believe me a pallet of cheese is very ■■■■■■■■ heavy. Class 2’s had a tail-lift the class 1’s did’nt, so you prayed on class 1 deliveries that they had a fork-lift at the drop or your back would pay. I do know they opened a depot in redditch so maybe the job has changed at liverpool and it is a bit easier. Also the kit was well looked after renault 420 premium’s and class 2 was volvo’s. If you think it sounds for you then go for it, and i’m sure Nagel Logistics bought them out a while back.

dieseldog6:
Not for that money I don’t.

i do :open_mouth:

codge123:
I have worked for langdons out of Knowsley industrial estate, liverpool 4 years ago on agency for a year and was doing regular 12-13 hours a day, anything from RDC’s to High street butchers, It was anything from customer’s taking the delivery off to pallet truck to handball deliveries and believe me a pallet of cheese is very ■■■■■■■■ heavy. Class 2’s had a tail-lift the class 1’s did’nt, so you prayed on class 1 deliveries that they had a fork-lift at the drop or your back would pay. I do know they opened a depot in redditch so maybe the job has changed at liverpool and it is a bit easier. Also the kit was well looked after renault 420 premium’s and class 2 was volvo’s. If you think it sounds for you then go for it, and i’m sure Nagel Logistics bought them out a while back.

Yes it is multi drop (on days).

Not many drivers are out for 13 hours these days as we have a more comprehensive depot network.

We do our best to put tail-lift deliveries on rigids, we would not expect artic drivers to have to hand ball all day. The odd hand ball delivery on an artic can’t be helped however. All drivers are provided with a pallet truck.

All artics are less than 3 years old, rigids 5 years old maximum

Yes Nagel Logistics bought us in 2004 but do not get involved in the day to day running of the company.

I’ve got 20+ years experience driving class 1, good knowledge on fridge work and multi-drop, and looking for a change of company at the moment. There’s only one thing stopping me from applying for a position Simon. The bloody Kingston Bridge. I’d have to cross it twice a day to commute. Best of luck with your recruitment and the new depot though. :wink:

Why is it whenever someone comes on here with a good news story, (new jobs in this climate!!)
there is always some who come out with…

wouldnt get out of bed for that

too much paperwork

my mate said they are crap to work for

etc etc etc

If you dont need the job good luck to you
but some people on here are actively looking for work so dont knock the person thats trying to put some work your way before its advertised elsewhere.

I’m happy where I work but if i was in that area and looking I would be straight on the phone or email.

Hopefully some posts will be filled by fellow Trucknet members who are without jobs just now.

toowise:
Why is it whenever someone comes on here with a good news story, (new jobs in this climate!!)
there is always some who come out with…

wouldnt get out of bed for that

too much paperwork

my mate said they are crap to work for

etc etc etc

If you dont need the job good luck to you
but some people on here are actively looking for work so dont knock the person thats trying to put some work your way before its advertised elsewhere.

I’m happy where I work but if i was in that area and looking I would be straight on the phone or email.

Quite :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: