Genoa Bridge collapse

Winseer:
It cannot be a coincidence about the rain storm preceeding the collapse though.

I really can be

Winseer:
The Genoa bridge is 50 years old, which is almost as long ago as the Treaty of Rome… IF such a tragedy could have been averted - then rest assured, the EU had their grubby mits on the ■■■■■ strings all that time, and could have funded vast infrastructure projects throughout Europe… But no. :frowning:

You should travel outside your little world occasionally, the EU has done exactly that, they have funded ENORMOUS infrastructure projects all over the continent. Just open your eyes now and again :wink:

Spardo:

Winseer:

Santa:

Winseer:
The Genoa bridge is 50 years old, which is almost as long ago as the Treaty of Rome… IF such a tragedy could have been averted - then rest assured, the EU had their grubby mits on the ■■■■■ strings all that time, and could have funded vast infrastructure projects throughout Europe… But no. :frowning:

A few moments research would have revealed the vast amount of taxpayer’s money that the EU spends on infrastructure projects. I was astonished when driving in Portugall, at the miles and miles of brand new motorway (complete with bridges) - all paid for by the EU. Our own highways agency isn’t paid for by the EU, which is odd, seeing as we pay so much to the EU.

When a country keeps changing its government (66 in Italy since WW2) long-term projects get shelved for short-term expediency and votes. Add traditional corruption and criminal control of construction and maybe the surprise is that so many bridges are still functioning.

Spending money on stuff and wasting money on stuff because you didn’t spend anywhere near enough, giving out proper contracts for the work - are very different in execution.

The EU’s history of “funding infrastructure” is as poor as Theresa May’s “I’m funding the NHS more than ever - honest!”

Whatever anyone says - we just don’t see any evidence of that from the public on the ground level.
The EU should have cracked down on organized crime in particular, especially across the national boundaries, and within the shengen zone. They dream of being this federalist super-state and a rival to the USA - but they just don’t spend the right amounts on the right things… Key words being “Right” there!

Poor policing, high corruption, lapse border controls, shoddy materials, and any “future visions” get wasted on “Man-Made Climate Change” which is nothing but a load of rubbish dressed up as some new age religion almost.

Actually crushing the criminal fraternity instead of “Right Wingers” around the continent - might have made a difference - but no. :imp:

The EU’s ■■■■■ strings have been taken advantage of like a drunk millionaire staggering around a brudder camp - and there’s still no sign that it is going to stop being thus any time soon!

Think you’re in the wrong thread mate. :unamused: [emoji38]

You reckon?
Winseer is making a coherent argument for an EU wide police force, to check their monies are being spent honestly. Good to have him supporting a more complete EU !

I’ll shup up about that now in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I’m currently in the Pyrenees and keeps seeing the tv news of them interviewing the driver of the 7.5T truck that miraculously stopped short of the edge. Seems his boss is furious as he still had another 15 drops to do.

There’s also news pictures of dozens of other bridges that are seriously unsafe due to the damage that they have had

A few moments research would have revealed the vast amount of taxpayer’s money that the EU spends on infrastructure projects. I was astonished when driving in Portugall, at the miles and miles of brand new motorway (complete with bridges) - all paid for by the EU. Our own highways agency isn’t paid for by the EU, which is odd, seeing as we pay so much to the EU.

When a country keeps changing its government (66 in Italy since WW2) long-term projects get shelved for short-term expediency and votes. Add traditional corruption and criminal control of construction and maybe the surprise is that so many bridges are still functioning.
[/quote]
Spending money on stuff and wasting money on stuff because you didn’t spend anywhere near enough, giving out proper contracts for the work - are very different in execution.

The EU’s history of “funding infrastructure” is as poor as Theresa May’s “I’m funding the NHS more than ever - honest!”

Whatever anyone says - we just don’t see any evidence of that from the public on the ground level.
The EU should have cracked down on organized crime in particular, especially across the national boundaries, and within the shengen zone. They dream of being this federalist super-state and a rival to the USA - but they just don’t spend the right amounts on the right things… Key words being “Right” there!

Poor policing, high corruption, lapse border controls, shoddy materials, and any “future visions” get wasted on “Man-Made Climate Change” which is nothing but a load of rubbish dressed up as some new age religion almost.

Actually crushing the criminal fraternity instead of “Right Wingers” around the continent - might have made a difference - but no. :imp:

The EU’s ■■■■■ strings have been taken advantage of like a drunk millionaire staggering around a brudder camp - and there’s still no sign that it is going to stop being thus any time soon!
[/quote]
Think you’re in the wrong thread mate. :unamused: [emoji38]
[/quote]
You reckon?
Winseer is making a coherent argument for an EU wide police force, to check their monies are being spent honestly. Good to have him supporting a more complete EU !

[/quote]
Yes, that is correct. I wanted Cameron to come back with the EU’s plans to “Reform” - and it was only when he came back empty-handed - that I became the hardline Brexiteer I am today. :stuck_out_tongue:
I once had a lot of faith that the EU could come to solve ALL it’s new problems it was creating by way of achieving “superstate status” - but no. Even now - there is NO sign that the EU is going to Reform. They didn’t even offer the UK an immediate promise to do thus when Leave won the referendum!

…So the same old infrustructure funding corruption scandals - continued… And still do of course. Corners cut on materials, less money spent on maintenance than the explosion in EU traffic would suggest was needed. No provision made for natural climate change instead of all this carbon credits “preventative” bull.
The EU wasted, wastes, and continues to waste money on all the wrong things, rather than “Doesn’t spend it at all”.
People are dying on Italian bridges, just as they are dying in hospital corridors in the UK. “Money that could have been spent saving lives for the future - wasted on the wrong things instead”. :frowning:

switchlogic:

Winseer:

Winseer:

You should travel outside your little world occasionally, the EU has done exactly that, they have funded ENORMOUS infrastructure projects all over the continent. Just open your eyes now and again :wink:

It’s probably fair to say the bridge was built with hard earned Italian cash in which less than half the country had the industry to earn it and having to keep the poor South out of those earnings and compromised in its design life and build accordingly.

It’s not ‘how much’ gets spent it’s the contribution to the budget v what each state gets back.Poor old Italy being screwed just like us in that regard.Especially factoring in the poverty of the South.So people die due to the predictable failure of 50 year old,already compromised,infrastructure with a design life of lets say 30 years so the Swedes,Danes,Luxembourg and the Dutch can live in luxury.So where was the EU cash needed to demolish and rebuild the bridge 20 years ago ?.Maybe all those EU supporting Labour voters should check the figures before nailing their colours to the EU mast in that regard. :bulb:

statista.com/statistics/3166 … ributions/

money-go-round.eu/Country.aspx?id=IT

Franglais:
You reckon?

No he’s making a coherent argument for a Confederal Europe.In which Italy and us have the National sovereignty to say no to the EU commission nicking cash,which Italians and us can’t afford,to line the pockets of the elites in Luxembourg and to pay for the bribes used to pay East Euro for Eastward EU expansion.Then use the money saved to rebuild past its shelf life infrastructure at home instead of it being nicked to provide new infrastructure in other countries which should be paying for their own.There’s also no reason why all the usual existing cooperation between Europe’s police forces regarding crime like international fraud can’t apply within that type of regime.With no need for a USSR.

Who’s seen this

bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-eur … -collapsed

switchlogic:

Winseer:
It cannot be a coincidence about the rain storm preceeding the collapse though.

I really can be

Winseer:

There were £100s of millions of EU money spent on the A465 in Wales.

GasGas:

I can’t be the only one who has chuckled at the sign in Rosslare Port saying it was upgraded using EU money, maybe £100 worth? It couldn’t have been much!

GasGas:

You do know what being a net contributor to the EU budget like us and Italy means. :unamused:

mrginge:

GasGas:

I can’t be the only one who has chuckled at the sign in Rosslare Port saying it was upgraded using EU money, maybe £100 worth? It couldn’t have been much!

Yeh, that’s what I thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

Who’s word do we get to take that any serious cash was spent on anything, anywhere?

If you come to the decisions “not to believe the liars any longer” - then an amazing bunch of other casual lies we all took for granted - don’t stand up under closer scrutiny as well. :smiling_imp:

…ALl that talk about the “lie on the side of the bus” - and yet no one actually came up with the actual figure. Funny that.

It is all too easy for the liars to lie about their own lies, and compound those lies by lying about themselves not lying as well. :neutral_face:

Sorry, thought I was in a different thread for a moment. :unamused: .

As I understand it this bridge was built in the sixties? And it was part of the privately run Autopista system?
There should be some Italian Gov responsibility for checking on safety BUT the maintenance and decisions to spend on repairs seems to fall onto a Private Company.
If anyone wants to check out the Benetton (fashion house) involvement there are numerous stories on reliable sites.

I’m sure this is a part of the tower which collapsed and thought that I’d check on google maps to confirm something which seemed to appear in a pic which DEANB posted on the Paul Ghee topic. :open_mouth: :confused:

google.co.uk/maps/@44.425990 … 312!8i6656

Franglais:
As I understand it this bridge was built in the sixties? And it was part of the privately run Autopista system?
There should be some Italian Gov responsibility for checking on safety BUT the maintenance and decisions to spend on repairs seems to fall onto a Private Company.
If anyone wants to check out the Benetton (fashion house) involvement there are numerous stories on reliable sites.

It looks like they are being set up as the patsies to cover a much larger can of worms going back to the design stage and build of the thing.Even to the point where there might arguably be flaw in the whole cable stay etc type of tower design.Let’s get this right.In a suspension bridge design the cables sit on top of the tower and transmit the tension in the cables holding up the vertical load of the bridge deck ( in this case concrete stays ) into compressive downward vertical loads through the towers to their bases and back to the cable bases at each end of the cables.

But in this type of design the stays are connected to the sides of the tower.So logically the tensile loads of the stays are transmitted into lateral not compressive loadings on the towers.IE as the bridge deck sections being held up by the stays oscillate vertically with the weight going across them that’s then transmitted into tensile loading on the stays which then pull the towers back and forth sideways in either direction. :open_mouth: :confused:

Dork Lard:
I want £1 pahnd off every driver, who for the next 25yrs, tries to tell me that it was his truck teetering over the edge of that bridge !

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/i-saved-myself-by-a-miracle-first-picture-of-the-lorry-driver-who-avoided-plunging-off-the-collapsing-genoa-bridge-by-mere-inches/ar-BBM2goL?ocid=spartanntp

‘He is a really nice guy. He had just finished his deliveries and was on his way home when he was crossing the bridge. We can only thank God that he was saved.’

Should read…

‘He is a really nice guy. But he had 15 deliveries left on the wagon and was on his way to his next drop when he was crossing the bridge. We can only thank God that he was saved. I´ve docked him half a days pay.’

This pic says it all:

Carryfast:

GasGas:

You do know what being a net contributor to the EU budget like us and Italy means. :unamused:

In the case of Wales…more money in than out

walesonline.co.uk/news/poli … m-11375402

GasGas:

Carryfast:

GasGas:

In the case of Wales…more money in than out

walesonline.co.uk/news/poli … m-11375402

Oh wait isn’t Wales subject to the same national economic policy of ‘austerity’ to help pay for our net EU contributions.

itv.com/news/wales/topic/budget-cuts/

While the few bob that Wales got back to spend on its roads obviously isn’t much help to people dying because of 50 year old Italian bridges with a design life of 20 - 30 years collapsing.