General tips for newbies

hgvhgv:
@ Paul
Thats what the cpc is all about :stuck_out_tongue:

CPC? Whats that? Oh yeah, another way to rip us off. How can sitting to same module 7 times be classed as training? Well, at least you’ll be proficiant at whatever you have studied for 35 hrs. :laughing:

cpc hasn’t helped me with my acquired rights… i’m having to learn things the hard way :laughing:

Paul Gloria Meadows:

hgvhgv:
@ Paul
Thats what the cpc is all about :stuck_out_tongue:

CPC? Whats that? Oh yeah, another way to rip us off. How can sitting to same module 7 times be classed as training? Well, at least you’ll be proficiant at whatever you have studied for 35 hrs. :laughing:

think they have closed that little loophole now but I could be wrong :wink:

jx

For people coming into the industry its a good idea. Not so much for the older members.

I too have not been driving very long.
ASK is the best advice you can be given. I have lost count of the number of times in my short (2 week) driving career. I often find even the most scary-looking, grizzled old trucker is actually really nice, and advice is always forthcoming. I have yet to come across another driver who is unpleasant or unhelpful.

Be polite. Just because the stress-head in the goods in office is an arrogant so and so with no time for you, keep your cool and remain polite.
Ask where you need to go if you haven’t been to a drop/tip before. Most gate/security people are helpful/friendly.

If in doubt, get out. It only takes a few seconds to hop out and see if that gap on the blind side is still where it was when you lost sight of it in your N/S mirror. You might look a bit of a newbie, but you will look more of a newbie explaining to the gaffer why you ‘might of slightly nudged a fence/concrete bay/ another wagon’.

How can sitting to same module 7 times be classed as training? Well, at least you’ll be proficiant at whatever you have studied for 35 hrs.

think they have closed that little loophole now but I could be wrong

No the loophole is still there.

But I have been training drivers for cpc since it started nearly 4 years ago and can count on one hand the number that have repeated modules. And that’s sometimes tachos and hours and that often needs repeating!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

john.nicholls:
Well im sorry about my Veiws but everyman has his own opinions my dad would turn in his grave cos he would always tell me you only learn one way !! and thats your own,and he was right 100% i learnt all i needed to know by going with my dad and other drivers as well it was the only way i was going to learn good luck to you new boys anyway

Yes but what If you aint got a dad or someone else to ask like you have. I havent and I can tell you right now that I passed my class 2 on 1st March 2012. I had a 7.5 curtian sider driving job a few weeks later. I had never opened one before. Guess what I did. Yip thats right I asked a guy driving a forklift to show me how to open and close it. I now know how to open and close a curtain sider. Sometimes you gotta ask if you dont know. Thats how ill learn this job. Knowledge is power. Otts

Jennie:

john.nicholls:
Whoopssss
Think ive started something here i wasnt meaning to sound the way it read and im man enough to admit iwas wrong on some of my Views,sometimes you cant help with how you feel about things,and you easerly come out with the wrong thing and yes you are all right how else do you learn.Im just one of the old school who didnt ask but got on with it and learnt by my mistakes,yes i was lucky to have been able to sit with my Father as a kid,he didnt teach me i taught me ! just by looking co i was determined i was going to be a Wagon Driver.I made lots of mistakes when reversing into Loading bays with drivers looking and laughing at me but my dtermination got the better of me.Of course reversing isnt easy for first timers and im sorry i may have upset a few to say the least but this is suposed to be free speach wether im right or wrong (in this case i was wrong.But not wrong to voice my opinion,what i say to this Driver is try to learn by your mistakes without to much help,and never give in to a Driver that offers to put it on the Bay for you.Sorry to have given you the wrong end of the stick mate.

we will all start again fair play , on here no one should be scared to ask a question for fear of reprimand thats what this forum is here for to be the dad , work collegue, mate that you can pick up good tips from , that just make life a bit easier ! I hope with your experience you can help a few on here as you made them ■■■■ ups and learnt from them ,
jen x

Without trying to sound sanctimonious, thanks for that post John and in retrospect I think my reply should have been a little more tactful like Jennies. :blush:

Regards

Brian

Pro tip: Drivers with this (john.nicholls) attitude are many in this industry and should be given a wide berth, old skool or not, knuckle draggers/mouth breathers like this fella who wouldn’t ask are clearly more dangerous than someone who asks a simple question.

The kind of post he submitted just reinforces the stereotypical thick lorry driver to the rest of the world. Pillock.