General tips for newbies

ive only been driving artics since feb 2012 and already ive had various tips passed onto me by much more experienced drivers. so this is a plea really to you for the benefit of all us newbies to pass on any sacred knowlage you have that may help us.breaks,loading,reversing, anything really. thanks for looking cant wait for your nuggets! :laughing:

Tip number 1.

Don’t let them rush you. Do your vehicle checks properly before going anywhere even if you have been parked up on a night out in a truck you know inside out. If you’re not sure about something, ASK!

and if you do not understand the reply… ask again.

Spend 20 mins with a map and save 60 mins of driving

just stuff I have picked up from watching here

Last week I was told not to park over BT man hole covers as apparently they’re known for getting stuck in…

One of the other drivers did point to my wheel as he walked past and as I got out to check what the problem was he said oh I was just fascinated as both the wheels turn at the same time. :confused: :confused: :laughing:

Don’t forget to check if your nuts are tight :wink:

If you ever do any cage deliveries (mostly supermarket work) using a tail lift - use the cab / trailer air systems to make sure the trailer is level (or slightly lower at the front) or all the cages will roll straight out the back, and probably take you with them…!!

I did do a long reply on this but it seems to have got lost somewhere,Listen mate are you a lorry driver or what ? you have past your test, which means you are suposed to be a Compedent driver (sorry about spelling) if !!! , you got to go around asking people on how to reverse a Vehicle etc then you are a Danger to the public and the company you are working for sorry if this sounds harsh but what did you realy expect ? my advice to you is Get a Bloody life ! if you cant do the job that you was supposed to have been trained to do then get out now before you kill somebody and im sorry but this goes out to everybody else asking “how do i drive my Lorry”,once again im sorry but as the old saying goes you have to be cruel to be kind.
Good luck

When backing onto a bay don’t forget to open the back doors :grimacing:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

john.nicholls:
I did do a long reply on this but it seems to have got lost somewhere,Listen mate are you a lorry driver or what ? you have past your test, which means you are suposed to be a Compedent driver (sorry about spelling) if !!! , you got to go around asking people on how to reverse a Vehicle etc then you are a Danger to the public and the company you are working for sorry if this sounds harsh but what did you realy expect ? my advice to you is Get a Bloody life ! if you cant do the job that you was supposed to have been trained to do then get out now before you kill somebody and im sorry but this goes out to everybody else asking “how do i drive my Lorry”,once again im sorry but as the old saying goes you have to be cruel to be kind.
Good luck

Happy Easter to you too! :slight_smile:

john.nicholls:
Good luck

What a tool!
Does passing your test prepare you for the real world?…don’t think so!
At the end of the day we all ask for help and advice at sometime or other.

SB

SB I couldn’t agree more.

I passed my test last October and fortunately found a company that wil have given me a chance on casual work which suits me fine. Tips are not about how you drive more all the other extraneous elements of the job no instructor is likely to have time to teach you. I have picked up so much much from shunters, colleagues, yard staff etc who have been only too pleased to point me in the right direction. I don’t for a minute expect someone to tell me the safety elements of driving and the getting from A to B but why not ask the guy on the gate if there is a particualr way to get on a bay in a tight yard! That man sees it countless times a day and just pitching up and thinking you know best is just pointless and arragont.

I think this is a perfect forum to pass on tips on dealing with curtiansiders, fridges etc. How many people on here bemoan the dilution of the so called “truckers brotherhood” and then are going to whinge when fresh blood wants to learn the job without damaging their employers asset? Come on chaps this is a great thread and all should be encouraged to ask away regardless of how the question may be perceived!

Well im sorry about my Veiws but everyman has his own opinions my dad would turn in his grave cos he would always tell me you only learn one way !! and thats your own,and he was right 100% i learnt all i needed to know by going with my dad and other drivers as well it was the only way i was going to learn good luck to you new boys anyway

you just contradicted yourself :wink:

You learnt from others face to face, the poster here asked for the same… just over the internet

Exactly my point. You learnt it from your father and other drivers. Who are the new drivers going to learn it from …the fairy godmother?!!

Well j Nichols hmmmm
Just hope your not the only guy around when I got a flat tyre , or my curtains are tryin to do a Mary poppins with me or can’t reach the bulk head as too short to lock it in place I could go on about all the little things that even an old timer would need a hand with all I can say is lets hope that when you need a hand with somat that the guy that’s nearest don’t have your attitude :unamused:

Jx

john.nicholls:
Good luck

You’re a disgrace to the industry. No wonder people are afraid to ask for help. Not only that you’re a hypocrite, you mention that he needs to ‘get a bloody life’ all because someone posted a thread for sharing tips for newbies. You need to get a bloody life, no one else.

Passing a test only means you’re at a level to be able to pass a DSA Exam, it doesn’t prepare you for the real world of lorry driving and I’ve learnt more from watching my Dad and Uncle, and by asking people on here than I did in my training.

Grow up!

they stopped a test at atherton earlier this year because of snow… cant see that washing with the TM the next day though… ‘Cant test in this so I dont have to be able to drive in it’, every day is a learning day, and any hints are greatly received…

Just before you eject your digicard, put it on rest…

john.nicholls:
Well im sorry about my Veiws but everyman has his own opinions my dad would turn in his grave cos he would always tell me you only learn one way !! and thats your own,and he was right 100% i learnt all i needed to know by going with my dad and other drivers as well it was the only way i was going to learn good luck to you new boys anyway

You have a rant at the lad then say good luck.

I look forward to reading more of your rants.

john.nicholls:
I did do a long reply on this but it seems to have got lost somewhere,Listen mate are you a lorry driver or what ? you have past your test, which means you are suposed to be a Compedent driver (sorry about spelling)
I think he’s a competent driver, even more so because he has the balls to ask
if !!! , you got to go around asking people on how to reverse a Vehicle etc then you are a Danger to the public and the company you are working for sorry if this sounds harsh but what did you realy expect ? my advice to you is Get a Bloody life!
I doubt he’s asking how to put a unit into reverse, DRAMA QUEEN ALERT the next time he reverses onto a supermarket bay watch all the shoppers and children scatter for their lives. Sounds like he has a life, probably one that doesn’t involve berating others.
if you cant do the job that you was supposed to have been trained to do then get out now before you kill somebody and im sorry but this goes out to everybody else asking “how do i drive my Lorry”,
He hasn’t asked HOW TO DRIVE a lorry, he already knows that, bear in mind you muppet that his first sentence is “been driving artics since feb 2012”, which kind of implies that he may have had a rigid license before that, a rigid is also a lorry. As for killing someone, I thought that went with the job.
once again im sorry but as the old saying goes you have to be cruel to be kind.
As you say it’s an old saying, but your neither being cruel nor kind.
Good luck
With the like of you around, he’ll need it.

Hope to see you soon John.Nicholls, in a yard somewhere laughing our ■■■■ off at some muppet trying to reverse, we may even get to compare chalk colour together.

MADBAZ:

john.nicholls:
I did do a long reply on this but it seems to have got lost somewhere,Listen mate are you a lorry driver or what ? you have past your test, which means you are suposed to be a Compedent driver (sorry about spelling)
I think he’s a competent driver, even more so because he has the balls to ask
if !!! , you got to go around asking people on how to reverse a Vehicle etc then you are a Danger to the public and the company you are working for sorry if this sounds harsh but what did you realy expect ? my advice to you is Get a Bloody life!
I doubt he’s asking how to put a unit into reverse, DRAMA QUEEN ALERT the next time he reverses onto a supermarket bay watch all the shoppers and children scatter for their lives. Sounds like he has a life, probably one that doesn’t involve berating others.
if you cant do the job that you was supposed to have been trained to do then get out now before you kill somebody and im sorry but this goes out to everybody else asking “how do i drive my Lorry”,
He hasn’t asked HOW TO DRIVE a lorry, he already knows that, bear in mind you muppet that his first sentence is “been driving artics since feb 2012”, which kind of implies that he may have had a rigid license before that, a rigid is also a lorry. As for killing someone, I thought that went with the job.
once again im sorry but as the old saying goes you have to be cruel to be kind.
As you say it’s an old saying, but your neither being cruel nor kind.
Good luck
With the like of you around, he’ll need it.

Hope to see you soon John.Nicholls, in a yard somewhere laughing our ■■■■ off at some muppet trying to reverse, we may even get to compare chalk colour together.

That’s not like you B, you normally speak your mind. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: