General tips for newbies

john.nicholls:
Well im sorry about my Veiws but everyman has his own opinions my dad would turn in his grave cos he would always tell me you only learn one way !! and thats your own,and he was right 100% i learnt all i needed to know by going with my dad and other drivers as well it was the only way i was going to learn good luck to you new boys anyway

Sorry but we wernt all that fortunate to go with are fathers so couldnt/didnt learn that way so we had to ask others

welder:
they stopped a test at atherton earlier this year because of snow… cant see that washing with the TM the next day though… ‘Cant test in this so I dont have to be able to drive in it’, every day is a learning day, and any hints are greatly received…

Just before you eject your digicard, put it on rest…

Why do you need to put it on rest before you eject the card I haven’t been told about this im quite a new new driver myself its quite a big learning curve for me thanks.

dannycivic02:

welder:
they stopped a test at atherton earlier this year because of snow… cant see that washing with the TM the next day though… ‘Cant test in this so I dont have to be able to drive in it’, every day is a learning day, and any hints are greatly received…

Just before you eject your digicard, put it on rest…

Why do you need to put it on rest before you eject the card I haven’t been told about this im quite a new new driver myself its quite a big learning curve for me thanks.

I have never done that either can you explain why you have to place it on rest before ejecting your digi card please

The OP started off what could be a really useful and informed thread from the more experienced members of this forum, i for one was looking forward to reading all the tips and advice that was going to be given, unfortunately :angry: that j.nicholls upset the apple cart :smiling_imp: , c,mon guys keep the tips coming !! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If in doubt, ask a colleague.
If you get the brush off, he isn’t worth the time of day. The vast majority of drivers are only too happy to share their expertise.
Don’t attempt anything you’re not sure of.
Always get advice and/or help.
Don’t make the assumption that we knew it all when we started.
I, for one, certainly didn’t and there’s plenty of jobs I could be asked to do that would make me scratch my elderly head.
The daft question is the one you don’t ask.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

things i can remember being told were if you can get away without doing a blind side reverse do it.(this was after i decided i could impress everyone by just backing onto the bay blind side) and struggling! :blush:
your better off being 2 mins late in this world than 10mins early in the next :open_mouth:
ask for help we have all been in the same boat!
using a bit of common sense goes a long way!
its your licence its you that will get fined points etc so if your not happy ask and ask again.
class every car driver as an idiot with no idea of how a truck turns stops etc etc.

good luck with it most will help but as you can see there will always be the odd ‘f’ you driver you will learn things most days for example i drove a wagon and drag for the 1st time 2 weeks ago!

Google/search for Broms brakes that are found usually on Volvos, might help you out of a sticky situation one day.

If your doing multidrop always check you have a pallet truck and sack truck in your veh before you leave the yard

If on box’s check your twist locks

Oh & check the twist locks

Make sure you wind the legs up/down

If your dropping a trailer or changing trailers don’t forget to remove your number plate.

If you are doing trailer swaps on fridges, check the fridge works first before coupling up. I learnt this the hard way many a time…

smokinbarrels:
If your dropping a trailer or changing trailers don’t forget to remove your number plate.

But if you’re dropping it on a bay, take the plate out before you back on, drop the legs, take the suzies off and pull the pin… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

guess how I know that :smiley:

Whoopssss
Think ive started something here i wasnt meaning to sound the way it read and im man enough to admit iwas wrong on some of my Views,sometimes you cant help with how you feel about things,and you easerly come out with the wrong thing and yes you are all right how else do you learn.Im just one of the old school who didnt ask but got on with it and learnt by my mistakes,yes i was lucky to have been able to sit with my Father as a kid,he didnt teach me i taught me ! just by looking co i was determined i was going to be a Wagon Driver.I made lots of mistakes when reversing into Loading bays with drivers looking and laughing at me but my dtermination got the better of me.Of course reversing isnt easy for first timers and im sorry i may have upset a few to say the least but this is suposed to be free speach wether im right or wrong (in this case i was wrong.But not wrong to voice my opinion,what i say to this Driver is try to learn by your mistakes without to much help,and never give in to a Driver that offers to put it on the Bay for you.Sorry to have given you the wrong end of the stick mate.

One that I learnt today if your wagon won’t start make sure you have the auto selector in neutral felt a right divvy after phoning office saying your trucks broke ah well you live and learn.

john.nicholls:
Whoopssss
Think ive started something here i wasnt meaning to sound the way it read and im man enough to admit iwas wrong on some of my Views,sometimes you cant help with how you feel about things,and you easerly come out with the wrong thing and yes you are all right how else do you learn.Im just one of the old school who didnt ask but got on with it and learnt by my mistakes,yes i was lucky to have been able to sit with my Father as a kid,he didnt teach me i taught me ! just by looking co i was determined i was going to be a Wagon Driver.I made lots of mistakes when reversing into Loading bays with drivers looking and laughing at me but my dtermination got the better of me.Of course reversing isnt easy for first timers and im sorry i may have upset a few to say the least but this is suposed to be free speach wether im right or wrong (in this case i was wrong.But not wrong to voice my opinion,what i say to this Driver is try to learn by your mistakes without to much help,and never give in to a Driver that offers to put it on the Bay for you.Sorry to have given you the wrong end of the stick mate.

Sometimes when it is written it can be taken the wrong way we all learn by mistakes but if we can help with a little then it can help make things easier for all

Things have changed a lot over the years & yep defo learnt from mistakes but if we can all help a little to make things easier then no reason not to as you went out with your dad your poss picked up a few things

Thanks

lankyphil:

smokinbarrels:

But if you’re dropping it on a bay, take the plate out before you back on, drop the legs, take the suzies off and pull the pin… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

guess how I know that :smiley:

Everyone’s done that… but many won’t admit it…!!

:slight_smile:
Some general tips:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57

and some coupling tips:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=100

and another tip from me:
when doing a blindside reverse, use the nearside mirrors electric ajustment switch to ‘widen’ the angle that you can see… :wink:

john.nicholls:
I did do a long reply on this but it seems to have got lost somewhere,Listen mate are you a lorry driver or what ? you have past your test, which means you are suposed to be a Compedent driver (sorry about spelling) if !!! , you got to go around asking people on how to reverse a Vehicle etc then you are a Danger to the public and the company you are working for sorry if this sounds harsh but what did you realy expect ? my advice to you is Get a Bloody life ! if you cant do the job that you was supposed to have been trained to do then get out now before you kill somebody and im sorry but this goes out to everybody else asking “how do i drive my Lorry”,once again im sorry but as the old saying goes you have to be cruel to be kind.
Good luck

What a complete ■■■■!!! :imp: Guys like you are the ones that should not be doing the job! I would put money on it that your the kind of prick that goes flat out, overtaking everything you can on a single carriageway.

The OP was asking for help and advice on the job, not how to drive his truck. Your not taught how to rope and sheet for your driving test. Hows he supposed to learn that without someone teaching him? That is just one thing that a general haulage driver has to learn and has to learn by speaking to ■■■■■■■■■ like you. It might explain why you hear so offten that a lorry has lost its load. The driver is likely to not dare as advice for fear of coming across someone like you.

Your a disgrace to the profession and maybe its time you ■■■■■■ off and started a new carreer. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

john.nicholls:
Whoopssss

we will all start again fair play , on here no one should be scared to ask a question for fear of reprimand thats what this forum is here for to be the dad , work collegue, mate that you can pick up good tips from , that just make life a bit easier ! I hope with your experience you can help a few on here as you made them ■■■■ ups and learnt from them ,
jen x

@ Paul
Thats what the cpc is all about :stuck_out_tongue: