Gearbox

Is the gearbox layout the same in a left ■■■■■■ as a right hand drive.

i.e H with gear one nearest you in a left ■■■■■■

I feel daft asking this :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

yes it is mate and every left ■■■■■■ I have had has had a much better, snoother and more accurate shift than its RHD counterpart. :wink:

Probably because they are designed as a Lefty then adapted for the UK :cry:

Also the split buttons seem in a more logical comfortable position for the right hand. i.e R series and FH it puts it on your thumb :smiley:

Thanks. International Man of Mystery.

Ayup,dont feeldaft,its the same in lhd.Drove them for years but still went to the wrong door sometimes,now that is daft. :laughing: cheers Joe.

I am a new user

Can anyone tell me the correct way to change gear on an Iveco Eurocargo 55 plate 15 ton Road sweeper with a nine speed split gearbox.

I read reports in CM as a slap over gearbox, in road transport is this the right term or just road testers jargon

I find this gearbox hard to use being a left hand drive vehicle

The low gears to the left of gate means pushing over away from me to high range

I have been slapping over with my hand which is very painful

Any help greatly appreciatted

Many drivers who had the misfortune to drive right hand drive Scanias, especially 111 / 141 would complain about stiff shoulders. many missed 5th gear altogether and went from 4th to 6th. This never was a complaint in a left ■■■■■■ because you were pulling the stick towards you rather than bending your elbow in an un-natural position.

The same reason that RHD F89 was never built was that is was designed for the European LHD market and the engine was canted over to the right.

its also called 8 with a gate,used em on tipper work not driven left ■■■■■■ but i think your problem might be that your taking the SLAP bit a bit too literally! like any box if you try and force it then your going to struggle with the gears :confused: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

chrisy boy:
its also called 8 with a gate,used em on tipper work not driven left ■■■■■■ but i think your problem might be that your taking the SLAP bit a bit too literally! like any box if you try and force it then your going to struggle with the gears :confused: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think I will have to bring Swiss Tony out again :stuck_out_tongue:

its an iveco, just kick it if in doubt!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
the lhd thing is easy, i am more comfortable in a leftie than a right ■■■■■■.
asking for directions is easier, you dont have to get out when in the uk¬¬ :wink:
take it easy
chris

caveman:
i am more comfortable in a leftie than a right ■■■■■■.
asking for directions is easier, you dont have to get out when in the uk¬¬ :wink:
take it easy
chris

Yes, but have you noticed how many people put their head down and ignore you if they think some Johnny foreigner is going to ask for directions in French.

My luck normally means I ask a Pole in the UK :stuck_out_tongue:

DOH!! who else you goin too ask in the uk,cos they sure aint gona speak english!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

you do get looks of trepidation at times, then the look on their faces is priceless when the realise it is an englishman asking :laughing:

In the early '70’s,I drove a 2600 DAF,georgeous truck,it had the ZF 12 speed splitter,and worked back to front,as you went up the box you went from right to left.It took me ages to realise what was causing the aching muscles in my shoulder and left rib cage.
Another example of a left ■■■■■■ converted to right.

Wheel Nut:
Many drivers who had the misfortune to drive right hand drive Scanias, especially 111 / 141 would complain about stiff shoulders. many missed 5th gear altogether and went from 4th to 6th.

That would include me too. 5th was a real pig to find in an RHD 111. (275hp IIRC.) That spring was really stiff. I never drove a 141, so I wouldn’t know. From your comment, I take it that a 141was the same??

The only LHD I drove was for a year on a Renault 360 (V8) on Italian plates. (Sawn-off Transcon cab and a Fuller Roadranger 'box) I don’t think they brought that out in the UK. That was at the time of the Renault binliner 305/310. The only other LHD I drove was a Greek M.A.N Bussing wag and drag with a column change, and that was for a laugh once around the station roundabout in Prato on a Sunday, so it probably doesn’t count. :wink: