Gearbox axle combos

Question for the TN Brains trust ! which IYO was the best gearing combination on the “lighter” motors of yesteryear? The Leyland Comet 6 speed o/d and Eaton axle or the Turner 5 speed and Eaton 2 speed axles used in the likes of the Ford Trader/D1000 and the Dodge 308/K500. Cheers Bewick.

Well Dennis I allways liked the Leyland Comet with the Eaton 2 speed, & The Dodge with the ENV Box along with the Eaton 2 Speed, I had a Bedford KM with the Turner Box & it used to freeze up in the Winter where the Turret bit was, of course :question: Bedfords fitted this G/B On its side for some silly reason :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Dennis I allways liked the Leyland Comet with the Eaton 2 speed, & The Dodge with the ENV Box along with the Eaton 2 Speed, I had a Bedford KM with the Turner Box & it used to freeze up in the Winter where the Turret bit was, of course :question: Bedfords fitted this G/B On its side for some silly reason :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

I just got to thinking a bit more there Larry but did Leylands use a 5 speed box & Eaton 2 speed on the Comets and Badgers and they only used the 6 speed O/d box on the single speed Albion/Leyland axle ? The Leyland spec was a bit before I “kicked off” as an O/d but my first motor, a Trader, had the 4 speed box and Eaton 2 speed axle ! :wink: :sunglasses: Hope you and yours are keeping well Regards Dennis.

My

In the next Dennis lorry I restore I’am going to remove Dennis’s own 5 sp direct top box and experiment with a little Eaton 5 sp I’ve acquired to the single speed Dennis axle .

Well Dennis I drove a 1966 D Reg Comet artic, It had a 5 speed box plus the Eaton 2 speed, The Leylands I ran had the 6 speed overdrive box , Of course they were 4 wheelers, The 6 wheeler Riever had a 10 speed splitter Box, .We are all keeping well & enjoying this good weather, Hope you & yours are good too, Regards Larry.

Punchy Dan:
In the next Dennis lorry I restore I’am going to remove Dennis’s own 5 sp direct top box and experiment with a little Eaton 5 sp I’ve acquired to the single speed Dennis axle .

You are a very sad man Dan’l with more time on your hands than is good for you ! :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: How was the Guest Ale this evening ? Obviously far too strong by the sound of it ! Cheers Denzil :frowning: :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Dennis I drove a 1966 D Reg Comet artic, It had a 5 speed box plus the Eaton 2 speed, The Leylands I ran had the 6 speed overdrive box , Of course they were 4 wheelers, The 6 wheeler Riever had a 10 speed splitter Box, .We are all keeping well & enjoying this good weather, Hope you & yours are good too, Regards Larry.

Same here Larry but we had a bit shower earlier this evening but mind it didn’t dampen our evening on the patio as it was nicely between “starters and main” !! :wink: All the best Dennis.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

You are a very sad man Dan’l with more time on your hands than is good for you ! :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: How was the Guest Ale this evening ? Obviously far too strong by the sound of it ! Cheers Denzil :frowning: :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s called being content with running one lorry gives you lots of time to tinker around with my interests :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

It’s called being content with running one lorry gives you lots of time to tinker around with my interests :wink:

Well it’s just as well that you are a “Gentleman” haulier Dan’l as a full weeks work would see that Foden “off” :unamused: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Denz’l PS so come on who’s was the “Guest Ale” at the Boozer this evening ? Cheers Denz’l

Lawrence Dunbar:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing:

What’s tickled you Larry ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

As if you didnt know Dennis, Glenmorangie in a large glass, Hic Hic, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

This Leyland had 6 speed ZF, Box, A bit high geared for Quarry work, But we did a bit of distant work to Manchester, Matlock , Leeds & Allways loaded back with Scrap Batteries from various locations, To the long gone Lead Works in Newcastle. The days when a owner driver could make a good living running wagons, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry who did you go to in Matlock ? Cheers Dan’l.

Punchy Dan:

Oi Dan, stop trying to undercut Larry’s rates! :unamused: :laughing: Never drove anything smaller than a six wheeler Foden so can’t really add anything to this thread. :wink:

Pete.

Leyland Clydesdale 6 speed Turner and who knows what diff ratio it was.It was a great box to use and I’m amazed to this day as to how something with such a mediocre motor in it could pull at probably often closer to 18 t gross than 16t,whether getting up to around 65 mph on the flat on the A3,or struggling up ( the proper ) Reigate Hill or the climb out of Redhill towards Godstone.RIP LPF 322P it was one of the most memorables that I ever drove. :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan, It was a stone quarry between Matlock & Wirksworth IIRC. We used to deliver drilling rods, Sometimes they would give us a load of stone back up to Darrington, Regards Larry.

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

Oi Dan, stop trying to undercut Larry’s rates! :unamused: :laughing: Never drove anything smaller than a six wheeler Foden so can’t really add anything to this thread. :wink:

Pete.

I’ve seen various tricks by other hauliers sub contracted in Pete :open_mouth: ,

Some accidentally invoice the customer directly ,a genuine mistake of course :unamused:
Others write begging letters pumping smoke up the customers ■■■ in fact that’s happened twice however the letter writer probably didn’t realise just how well connected some of us are :smiley:
Other times other weak excuses like the driver gave his number or customer needed to contact driver ect ect .

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

Pete.

Your right Pete I wouldn’t show him a birds nest ! Cheers Dennis :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: