Gearbox axle combos

I liked the 2-speed axle option. After Leyland acquired Albion, Comets and Super Comets had an option of either Albion 5-speed 'box and Eaton 2-speed axle, or Albion 6-speed overdrive 'box. It was easy to fit the overdrive onto the rear of the 5-speed gearbox, so with the overdrive and 2-speed axle combination, which I have driven, Bolton to London in 4 hours was possible before traffic congestion.

AEC also offered a 2-speed axle option in the 5GM4 Mercury tractor unit, with the AEC / Thornycroft 5-speed 'box. They also went very well I’m told by drivers who had them. In AEC’s case only the Eaton 2-speed diff was used, it bolted into the AEC axle casing. It was also possible to fit the Eaton diff into the Ergo cabbed AEC Mercury axle. Several operators did it, why I don’t know because not much would go faster than a Mercury rigid with the 6-speed overdrive 'box.

At Mothers Pride we had some Leyland Boxers with 2-speed axles. I inherited one from another bakery which had been disconnected and left in high ratio. I had the garage put it back to how it should have been.

Bewick:

windrush:

Punchy Dan:
Hi Larry who did you go to in Matlock ? Cheers Dan’l.

Oi Dan, stop trying to undercut Larry’s rates! :unamused: :laughing: Never drove anything smaller than a six wheeler Foden so can’t really add anything to this thread. :wink:

Pete.

Your right Pete I wouldn’t show him a birds nest ! Cheers Dennis :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: speaks Stobart of the south lakes :laughing: I bet there has been times Denzil you wanted to hide with salman Rushdie :laughing: :wink:

My first truck was a 1962 Leyland Comet 4 wheeler, DS 5661, previously owned by Dolphinton Creamery. I carried timber from the borders to Lancashire and occasionally Yorkshire. It had a five speed constant mesh gearbox and a 2 speed axle, which seemed to me an ideal combination.

John.

Although I mentioned previously that I hadn’t anything to contribute to this thread on reflection the last truck I drove was a bit of a mis-match gearing wise. It was a Foden six wheeler that was fitted with the 8 litre ■■■■■■■ C series and the small Fuller synchro box from new, however when my gaffers bought it from a breakers yard the engine and box were both knackered so a ■■■■■■■ L10 and a large Fuller overdrive constant mesh box were fitted as they had them both in stock. The box and axle were not an ideal match, the box was too high geared for tipper work and the limiter (set at 52 mph) cut in with another two gears still to go at. First gear was needed when loaded and reversing up inclines loaded wasn’t easy either, it served its purpose though and was sold on to another Peak district haulier via the same yard after I was made redundant.

Pete.

Hi Windrush, The S 36 tractor unit I had was as great combination as far as gearing was concerned, Leyland 680 PP Engine , Foden 12 Speed Box with 6.25 Diffs.52 MPH. Up hill and down dale, I could hold its own along with most vehicles, It was an ex BOC motor MET 547 G, I wish I had kept it for going to the shows, :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: , Regards Larry.

John West:
My first truck was a 1962 Leyland Comet 4 wheeler, DS 5661, previously owned by Dolphinton Creamery. I carried timber from the borders to Lancashire and occasionally Yorkshire. It had a five speed constant mesh gearbox and a 2 speed axle, which seemed to me an ideal combination.

John.

How come the Mastiff I paid ■■■■■■■ handsomely for from you John had the 16 speed Spicer box in it ? :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.