Gas Stoves

I have been informed today by my employer that i am no longer allowed to carry a gas stove in my cab. Reasons quoted were for insurance purposes and also health and safety. Has anyone else come across this?

understandable i guess.
Easy enough to set fire to the motor with one. :laughing:

he alo claims i’m not even allowed to carry a small gas cannister in cab in case of an accident as it may cause risk to fire and rescue service.

HERE.

16th post. If I counted correctly.

What about vehicles with night heaters powered by gas bottles? How do they fit into the scheme of things?

Coffeeholic:
What about vehicles with night heaters powered by gas bottles? How do they fit into the scheme of things?

Do people still use em?

Yep, still see them about and popular in Germany.

Thing is how am i supposed to cook some snap when holed up in middle of nowhere?

The gas heater system what was posted by Coffeholic are ones that have been checked and proven for use to heat the lorry ,but the gasbottle is allways fixed on a position outside the vehicles cabin, and has extra safety features built in, The problem with haveing the gas cylnder or complete stove in the cabin is that the gas has become free and circulates in the cabin and either a short circuit or when the driver uses a nakad flame you then have very bad accidents, AND this is the reason why no one should carry the clynder inthe cabin better is in a stowage point outside the cabin,

Mr.Shep:
Thing is how am i supposed to cook some snap when holed up in middle of nowhere?

Microwave, it’s the future. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

yep i use one a single burner and love making the coffee on it in the mornin sod em i will carry on always not payin £2 plus for a coffee

The stove i have is the flat type with removable re-sealable aerosol sized cylinder.

Mr.Shep:
he alo claims i’m not even allowed to carry a small gas cannister in cab in case of an accident as it may cause risk to fire and rescue service.

Better chuck out that can of deodorant then…

(the propellant is butane)

As britpete said, the problem is with the cannister inside the cab; if it leaks, then the gas can build up inside the cab until it reaches an explosive concentration. If the cannister is outside, then unless there’s a really serious leak, the gas won’t be able to build up enough to be explosive. Also, inside the cab it could asphyxiate you whilst you are asleep.

Also, if the cannister is loose inside the cab it could fly around and rupture in the case of a collision. “installed” gas bottles are more likely to be protected by surrounding bodywork.

However, it sounds a bit OTT to me.

Get yourself a petrol-powered stove. That must be safer… :wink:

so if i was to keep it in my tool locker at rear of truck i’d be pretty safe.

Yes it does sound a bit ott, after all how many years have we carrying stoves.

i always ues the gas canaster you know the little blue ones and i have a big one as well ( gas canaster :wink: ).
i know stobbies used to have a sticker in the cab informing drivers they were banned from having them in the trucks.

jessicas dad:
i always ues the gas canaster you know the little blue ones and i have a big one as well ( gas canaster :wink: ).
i know stobbies used to have a sticker in the cab informing drivers they were banned from having them in the trucks.

i seen that when i used to work for stobarts (sticker)

Some years ago there was a burnt out truck at Castets Centre Routier on the N10 in SW France. Story was that the British driver got a little ‘unsteady’ in the bar one night, was helped up the steps by his mates and then blew the cab up when trying to make a cup of tea.
Although I used a stove many years ago I wouldn’t dream of doing so now unless the bottle was outside. Surely it isn’t beyond the wit of man to construct an outside lockable container with connecting pipe. Much safer.
Here in the sticks where we have no mains gas I have bottles for the cooker and water heater. They are outside the house and plumbed in professionally through the wall.

Salut, David.

I have 2 gas stoves, 1 is the small camping gaz type, and the other is a resealable camping gaz type, been using them for years, probably will continue to do so, but when i change a cartridge i allways thoroughly inspect the rubber seal for wear, and make sure that the tube that holds the puncture needle is free moving. you cant eliminate all risk, but you can do your best to keep it in working order :wink:

To get back to the main question has anybody been banned from carrying them?

coffeeholic surely garlic bread is the future maybe warmed up in a
microwave ,
so i cannot use my gas powered tv anymore either
and if i have a curry on my break i can explain to my employer sorry
due to health and safety regs i cannot drive for at least 2 days
longer if a vindaloo