Gas Stoves

Mr.Shep:
The stove i have is the flat type with removable re-sealable aerosol sized cylinder.

Were not even allowed to carry them.
I bought a plug in kettle for hot water.But i now always park where i can get some grub.
Our lot would rather you pay parking every night than have a fire.

Tony b

Trangia stoves, runs on a small amount of meths (and water to stop black soot marks), massive base to prevent them falling over. If they do fall they hold so little fuel and it’s not under pressure the fire would probally burn out before it caught hold.

come complete with all pans etc,

So safe used to give them to teenagers doing D of E award, but don’t know how useful in the truck.

This gives an idea on how they work.

http://www.whipperleys.co.uk/acatalog/how_use_trangia_camping_stove_how_works.html

hide the stove somewhere and be carefull. :wink:

Change the butane for propane…it burns better…and cannot kill you if it were to leak. always used to carry a cooker and a gas bottle in the cab…till i discovered the turkish cooker…what we used to call the bomb…it was a gas bottle with the burner ring attached…and very cheap…nowdays i eat out…but will buy a coffee maker and stuff the cab with cakes and biscuits…for emergencies you understand…but if my boss complained about a gas bottle/cooker in the cab…i would either ask for more meal allowance…or ask when hes gonna fit a microwave…but at the end of the day…i would tell him to ■■■■ offski… :laughing: :laughing:

Change the butane for propane…it burns better…and cannot kill you if it were to leak

Unless there’s a spark… :laughing:

This time of year isnt so much of a problem, but i know during the summer, ■■■ lighters are a common thing to explode when left in hot cars. I would assume the same can happen to an aerosol etc.

dont think out firm would care what we carried in the cab so long as it wasnt TNT, that’s only because they’re our competitor :laughing:

got to admit he aint gotta prob paying for us to park. Bought a kettle on friday but have got through so many before it was difficult to know which to choose.

i’m sure my trangia cost as much as that one when i brought it 20 years ago
its also a different shape

Why not do as the Spanish and Portugese do and cook their food in the back of the trailer, or by the side of the trailer box? If you need a cup of tea, an electric kettle will do that.

I havent had a gas bottle since I saw that DAF that exploded in TTZ in Zeebrugge. The bloke put the gas on, fell asleep and then woke up to light a cig.

Bang, “and there he was” GONE

Wheel Nut:
I havent had a gas bottle since I saw that DAF that exploded in TTZ in Zeebrugge. The bloke put the gas on, fell asleep and then woke up to light a cig.

I suppose you dont have gas cooker or central heating at home,just in case that happened there, what that bloke done was just plain stupid ,and not down to the gas, its like every thing in life, a little bit of care, and a lot less contempt :wink:

i allways used the blue ones for yonks. then a few years back i got a square one in its own case, and it works with with small cartriges. they are very handy, and after using it, i take the cartridge out of the stove, and both stove and cartridge are kept in the side locker. i found this stove a very good kettle boiler as well.

eddie snax:

Wheel Nut:

I suppose you dont have gas cooker or central heating at home,just in case that happened there, what that bloke done was just plain stupid ,and not down to the gas, its like every thing in life, a little bit of care, and a lot less contempt :wink:

yes i couldnt agree more the amount of blue gas bottles they sell each year how many explosion’s do you hear off.
ive never had any problems and im going to carry on using them.
i alsways change the bottle outside though never do it in the cab.

eddie snax:

Wheel Nut:

The difference is where the gas is stored. I have had 3 trucks with Gas night heaters and the cylinders are always outside the truck, Caravans don’t have gas cylinders in the sleeping compartment either.

i would assume it is just a case of insurance.

If an insurer has had a few claims for vehicles burning out, which have had gas bottles on board they may simply tell all their policy holders that they wont insure them against fire if they carry gas.

it would appear to be all about insurance and culpable damage.

a gas(z) bottle is not part of the construction of a vehicle and if exploded the Insurance Co would probably say “There is culpable Damage” and therefore refuse claim

The same as you can’t claim for personal belongings on most insurances

When I was running for Owens, Llanelli, always used one of those “flat-pack” type stoves; once switched off, the gas can’t leak and they aren’t prone to tipping over like the Camping Gaz type. Tried a Coleman stove (petrol) but wasn’t happy with it, not so easy to control.

I use the same when camping on my motorbike, never had a problem in five years. BTW, if anyone does use these, best place to get refills is Argos; they do a bulk pack of 12 which works out at just over a quid each, last time I bought some.

Now I’m day-tripping, I must admit I miss my stove when waiting for 18 tons of animal feed to blow out; flask’s OK for an hour but even black coffee tastes lousy after any longer.

dennisw1:
i would assume it is just a case of insurance.

Nail on the head. We must use the cheapest basic cover with us only bein a small outfit.

gnasty gnome:
When I was running for Owens, Llanelli, always used one of those “flat-pack” type stoves; once switched off, the gas can’t leak and they aren’t prone to tipping over like the Camping Gaz type.

that sounds like the type i got gnome. my mrs got it from argos for about 20quid. theres a flap where the cartridge goes in? and a lever, all i do is turn the gas off, open the flap and ther cartridge is out! stash it away when cool. good stoves and they dont tip over like you say.

Mal:

gnasty gnome:
When I was running for Owens, Llanelli, always used one of those “flat-pack” type stoves; once switched off, the gas can’t leak and they aren’t prone to tipping over like the Camping Gaz type.

that sounds like the type i got gnome. my mrs got it from argos for about 20quid. theres a flap where the cartridge goes in? and a lever, all i do is turn the gas off, open the flap and ther cartridge is out! stash it away when cool. good stoves and they dont tip over like you say.

Another tip for you, Mal, if you’re not already wise to it. When the gas first runs low, the cartridge is never quite empty; most frustrating when your kettle or dinner is nearly ready. Simply remove the cartridge, and place it between your thighs for a minute; note, do NOT do this with only shorts on! Once the gas has warmed up a bit, it will enable you to boil at least one more kettle.

i wonder just how much gas ive binned as i didnt know that! good tip gnome, and i hear you re the shorts! :wink:

Mr.Shep:
To get back to the main question has anybody been banned from carrying them?

Yep. Stobarts have banned all naked flames “in-cab” after a bloke called cyril (ex-jsl some may know him :laughing: :wink: ) blew himself out of the cab in warrington a few years ago.
Suits me `cos they now provide a large invertor to international drivers :laughing: :wink: