Gas Stoves

Quick question - are these really ok to use inside a cab? I see loads of drivers with them on in the cabs at truckstops etc. but they all say use outdoors and well ventilated areas.

Great idea for boiling water for drinks :laughing: much quicker than the 12/24v ones that take nearly an hour to boil

I’ve used one for years with no problems. I normally crack open both windows, just a bit and works fine. Never even had a near miss. I always take the gas out of the stove when done and put it in a high locker because I’m afraid of the heat from the night heater

I agree with the above, well ventilated / open windows slightly and all has been fine touch wood.

But being penickety to kitbuilder, but putting it higher in the cab, it will be warmer. But no, heat from the night heater should be fine.

Good point about the night heater, the do get very hot near the outlets under the bunk - sadly it doesnt go much further than that :unamused:

I was concerned about Carbon Monoxide poisoning, but if the windows are open…

They are very cheap (£10 on amazon + £1.50 a tin) and not too sure about build quality/safety

Used them for years never had a problem, always cooked all my meals on one, just common sense really make sure you have some ventilation, and be careful where you put it. I know a guy who set fire to his bed with one :open_mouth:

kitbuilder123:
I’ve used one for years with no problems. I normally crack open both windows, just a bit and works fine. Never even had a near miss. I always take the gas out of the stove when done and put it in a high locker because I’m afraid of the heat from the night heater

Yeah I’ve used one for years, never had a problem, even with an old Primus stove I used to have, apart from knocking it over once whilst a boiling kettle :open_mouth: been using a flat type stove for about 15yrs now. I get the cartridges from QD or go outdoors. I take the cartridge out when not in use, put it wherever easiest at the time door pocket, bed, floor or high locker :wink: keep spares in the outside locker.

yes there good but i always disconnect the gas cannister when not in use

I was in an Asda RDC in London, was talking to a guy while he was cooling Super Noodles in the cab using one.

Radar19:
I was in an Asda RDC in London, was talking to a guy while he was cooling Super Noodles in the cab using one.

Where do you get the chiller ones from? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

same here always used one just crack open the skylight.

I use a double hob gas stove with grill I bought from Aldi 3 year ago for £20 and run it off a propane cylinder. Can boil some pasta whilst frying or grilling some chicken, pork or beef at the same time never had sny problems. As others have said ventilation is key.

If you are worried about Carbon Monoxide poisoning get one of these.

argos.co.uk/static/Product/p … 001617.htm

If worried buy a battery operated co2 moniter

I heard that some of them that use an outside gas bottle ( the ones with a regulator ) are not to be used in some countries, don’t know if that was true, but I bought a new briefcase style one just tom be certain.

Is it true that Stobarts don’t allow gas stoves in the trucks? Saying that I saw Mark Dixon knocking up a stir fry with a portable on the fuel tank on ESTAT :slight_smile:

You need to check the sealing ring between cylinder and stove often as the one I had got hard and cracked letting the gas escape when I connected the two, didn’t hear it leaking as the radio was on but when I pressed the ignite button … WHOOSH !! up to my knees in yellow flames. Storing the part used container within the cab wherever wont make any difference if it leaks as the gas is heavier than air so will seep down to the lowest level and then maybe … WHOOSH :slight_smile:

bjd:
yes there good but i always disconnect the gas cannister when not in use

^+1

Anyone ever had one of those Gas night heaters ?

altitude:
I know a guy who set fire to his bed with one :open_mouth:

I know a guy set fire to an ERF(aka a plastic duck), destroyed it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (no it wasn’t me)

Often wondered about gas stoves on services etc as at one time it wasn’t allowable to light the gas stove in a caravan or motorhome at a service area and there were notices to that effect. Has that rule ceased to exist now or is it just ignored? :confused:

Pete.