Full C+E to PCV provisional

One for the trainers, I hold a full C+E licence and want to know what i need to do to get a provisional PCV licence,(cat D/D+E) ie would i need to take a group 2 medical or would the fact i hold a current C+E licence exempt me from needing one, and would i need to do a theory before i go for the the test.
Also what do you need to do if it was the other way round ie full cat D to provisional C.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if this has been covered already.

ajdavis64:
One for the trainers, I hold a full C+E licence and want to know what i need to do to get a provisional PCV licence,(group D/D+E) ie would i need to take a group 2 medical or would the fact i hold a current C+E licence exempt me from needing one, and would i need to do a theory before i go for the the test.
Also what do you need to do if it was the other way round ie full group D to provisional C.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if this has been covered already.

Do you have D provisional already - worth checking your licence - if yes then the medical is already running at the same time as it is for C

If you had your last medical in the last 12 months then that will count for D and the same is true for the other way around.

Not sure what happens if you are under 45 though - would need to check DVLA on that one…

Theory - yes, that is needed as the questions are different for D (PCV)

If you have CE then passing D auto will get you D manual and DE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ADD - you will need to do the new INITIAL PCV driver CPC to obtain D

Hi thanks Rog, I Have HGV medical this year 45, I may need to obtain a prov cat D entitlement on my licence, for purposes other than actually needing to go for the test, its mainly for group 2 medical reasons, because if i can get that on it may help in another problem i may have, mainly to do with the eye sight test.
My optician says i will pass HGV medical because of when i passed my test, but says i will fail if it was on a new application, if you get my drift.

Cheers.

ajdavis64:
My optician says i will pass HGV medical because of when i passed my test, but says i will fail if it was on a new application, if you get my drift

Your optician is talking out of their [ZB] - the requirement for eyesight is the same all the way through.

ajdavis64:
I Have HGV medical this year 45,

Apply for D prov at same time - one medical will then cover both and you will then have the option of doing D whenever you want :bulb:

This is what i am reffering to, my eye sight doesnt meet the current standards below. but need to to renew the other licence it needs to.

(i) Applicants for medium/large goods or passenger carrying vehicle entitlements must by law have:

• A visual acuity of at least 6/9 in the better eye; and
  • A visual acuity of at least 6/12 in the worse eye; and
  • If these are achieved by correction, the uncorrected visual acuity in each eye
    must be no less than 3/60.

But they do meet the these ones, past test in 1988/89 sometime.

An applicant who held a licence before 1 January 1997 and who has an uncorrected acuity of less than 3/60 in only one eye may be able to meet the required standard and should check with Drivers Medical Group, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1TU, or telephone 0870 600 0301, about the requirement.
An applicant who has held an LGV/PCV (formerly HGV/PSV) licence before 1 March 1992 but who does not meet the standard in (i) above may still qualify for a licence. Information about the standard and other requirements can be obtained from Drivers Medical Group, (address as above). Car licence holders renewing 3.5—7.5 tonne vehicle and minibus entitlement are required to meet the numberplate test and, in addition, minibus entitlement requires the eyesight standard set out in (i) above to be met.

thanks

My first medical was before the date of change but gets determined on the current rules and I have eye probs.

may still qualify for a licence

does not say will

My worse eye is slighty better than 3/60 so will be ok.
Already spoken to DVLA but may ring again re cat D. any way of to opticians tomorrow, to pick up some glasses which may improve it slightly.
Was only fishing because i hold a taxi licence which now requires a group 2 medical for renewal, which i may not pass and may need info to appeal if they refuse to renew it.
Some councils dont require new or current taxi drivers to take medicals if they hold a cat C or D licence as it proves you are medicaly fit to drive.

Thanks

DVLA & MEDICAL 01792 782 341

Hi Rog just spoken to DVLA re eyesight, and they said they would issue me a cat D provisional licence as long as my eyesight meets the standard in the second bit, ie i wouldnt need to pass the higher standard, which is good news.

ajdavis64:
Hi Rog just spoken to DVLA re eyesight, and they said they would issue me a cat D provisional licence as long as my eyesight meets the standard in the second bit, ie i wouldnt need to pass the higher standard, which is good news.

That’s great news - are you going for D then?

ROG:

ajdavis64:

That’s great news - are you going for D then?

Mmm not really, spoke to some one else at DVLA and they say i would have to meet the higher standard as it a new application, so dont know which one is correct now, also to qualify for the 2nd standard for eye sight you have to fill in a medical questionaire, and then all medicals will be based on that standard.
Getting some new glasses tommorow so will find out if i could pass sight test, would be strange, as i would have to wear them to drive a bus but not to drive a truck lol.

This whole thread has lost me a bit.
Does it mean that new drivers have to have good eyesight but those who have been driving a while can blunder through with poor eyesight■■? :open_mouth:
Please tell me I have got this completely wrong -or wil they be issuing road signs in braille?

Yeah something like that, it got a bit silly a few years ago when these EU rules came in, because it didnt account for people wearing glasses to meet the standard, they started revoking licences if you couldnt see without them, until they added the second standard.
Do you remember that Rog?

ajdavis64:
Yeah something like that, it got a bit silly a few years ago when these EU rules came in, because it didnt account for people wearing glasses to meet the standard, they started revoking licences if you couldnt see without them, until they added the second standard.
Do you remember that Rog?

I seem to remember something about the eyesight some years ago but did not really take much notice as it did not affect me.

If I remember I will call DVLA later today and see if I can get them to send me a definitive answer by e-mail.

I called DVLA and they stated that as the D is a new provisional then the eyesight requirements will be under the current rules.

I sent an e-mail as well and now await a reply…

From ROG
To eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
Subject Eye accuity requirement

If a CE licence holder, who passed their CE test in 1988, was to apply for a D (PCV) provisional would the eyesight requirement be the same as for their current LGV under the old rules or, as it is a newly applied for provisional, would the eyesight requirement be under the current rules ?
Thanks
ROG

Thanks Rog, what i cant work out is wether i would need to have my eye corrected ie wear glasses to pass the medical, or wether i can leave it as it is since the worse eye is better than 3/60.

I am assuming that the e-mail reply will come back with the same as what was said verbally to me.

:bulb: :bulb: The only way you will know if you come up to current and past standards is to go to the opticians with both sets of rules and ask the optician if you meet both criterias :bulb: :bulb:

ajdavis64:
Thanks Rog, what i cant work out is wether i would need to have my eye corrected ie wear glasses to pass the medical, or wether i can leave it as it is since the worse eye is better than 3/60.

MAN!!! AM I READING THIS RIGHT!!!

You can`t pass a current PCV eye sight check and your driving a 40+ ton truck. Regardless of the rules your CRAZY!!!

Man and the mutli truck pile up I saw on the M6 today!!! Its all falling in to place.

truckerjimbo:
[
You can`t pass a current PCV eye sight check and your driving a 40+ ton truck. Regardless of the rules your CRAZY!!!

ERR… the difference in the two sets of eye rules is not that much according to the DVLA medical people who I called :wink: - it’s not like he is a danger to others - put it this way, I would be happy to sit next to him when he is driving and be confident that he can see ok :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

truckerjimbo:

ajdavis64:

MAN!!! AM I READING THIS RIGHT!!!

Man and the mutli truck pile up I saw on the M6 today!!! Its all falling in to place.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | West Midlands | Long queues as M6 lorry overturns

I am not driving a truck regardless of the rules, i have my eyes tested every 2 years and not once been told i need to wear glasses, even though i do have a slight sight problem, I have rung DVLA and explained to them, and they are fine with it.
What it has got to do with you, I havnt got a ■■■■■■■ clue i came on here for advice not to read the ■■■■■ you spout, seen that on a few threads you have posted on, and i personally dont think you belong on these forums, or even in the truck industry with your attitude.

ROG:

truckerjimbo:
[

ERR… the difference in the two sets of eye rules is not that much according to the DVLA medical people who I called :wink: - it’s not like he is a danger to others - put it this way, I would be happy to sit next to him when he is driving and be confident that he can see ok :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for that Rog, any way i am still confused about this, do i need to have my sight corrected, ie wear glasses or would it be the same as if you only had 1 eye, I need to ring DVLA again.
I got some glasses made up so my bad eye would reach the standard required 6/12, but because i have had this since i was a kid they say your brain would ignore the infomation from that eye so its a pointless exersise on my part.