Full C+E to PCV provisional

ajdavis64:
I need to ring DVLA again.

No you don’t - go to opticians and see if they say that you meet the requirements BEFORE calling DVLA

She says i do meet it without correction, DVLA say they are sending me out a medical questioniare to fill in, said some thing about gaining grandfather rights so i assume i wont have to meet the current standard to renew.
Ok the main point of this exersise was to do with renewing my taxi licence, because they now insist on passing a DVLA group 2 medical, so that means i know have to take 2 in theory as they sort of insist on going to your own doctor, some councils will exemp current HGV/PCV licence holders from having to take these medicals for obvious reasons, still interested in passing PCV as bus company seems to pay a decent wage compared to some i have seen on here for driving a truck, any way thanks for your help Rog i will keep you informed how i get on.

ajdavis64:

truckerjimbo:

ajdavis64:
Thanks Rog, what i cant work out is wether i would need to have my eye corrected ie wear glasses to pass the medical, or wether i can leave it as it is since the worse eye is better than 3/60.

MAN!!! AM I READING THIS RIGHT!!!

You can`t pass a current PCV eye sight check and your driving a 40+ ton truck. Regardless of the rules your CRAZY!!!

Man and the mutli truck pile up I saw on the M6 today!!! Its all falling in to place.

BBC NEWS | England | West Midlands | Long queues as M6 lorry overturns

I am not driving a truck regardless of the rules, i have my eyes tested every 2 years and not once been told i need to wear glasses, even though i do have a slight sight problem, I have rung DVLA and explained to them, and they are fine with it.
What it has got to do with you, I havnt got a [zb] clue i came on here for advice not to read the [zb] you spout, seen that on a few threads you have posted on, and i personally dont think you belong on these forums, or even in the truck industry with your attitude.

Have you told them at your 2 year check that you have a truck licence?? As you say you have a slight sight problem.

This forum is a trucker forum and 99% of people on here are pro trucker. I tell people how it is in the REAL TRUCKING WORLD!!! The worse industy in the WORLD!!!

I will take back the bit about the M6 pile up as that was caused by a forgien artic(AS THEY ALL ARE!!!)

Jim

truckerjimbo:
Have you told them at your 2 year check that you have a truck licence?? As you say you have a slight sight problem.

I will hazard a very informed guess at this because I also have a 3 year check on mine BECAUSE I have a LGV licence.
The answer is the the DVLA EYE medical is shorter than the norm so the licence has a shorter date than the full 5 year medical.

This means that people like myself MUST have an eye exam for the DVLA every 2 or 3 years but the FULL medical every 5 years in order for us to retain our LGV licences.

We get our eyes checked more often than the normal LGV driver such as your good self truckerjimbo so our eye problems, if any, are likely to show up quicker than others.

Yes they know i hold a class 1 HGV licence, since 1988 i may add, i passed the sight test then, this slight sight problem affects only 1 eye the other is better than average, and its not as if i cant see out of it, I didnt make the eyesight rules up, but if can pass my medical with my eyesight problem, is that bad?
And yes we all know this industry isnt the best, but its what you make of it, and looking at your experience you havnt been in it long enough to judge it IMHO.

ajdavis64:
Yes they know i hold a class 1 HGV licence, since 1988 i may add, i passed the sight test then, this slight sight problem affects only 1 eye the other is better than average, and its not as if i cant see out of it, I didnt make the eyesight rules up, but if can pass my medical with my eyesight problem, is that bad?.

I have a one eye problem as well :exclamation: :exclamation:

Right eye has glaucoma and I’ve had a ‘shunt’ op done but it made the eye go ‘off centre’ - it can read a number plate from no more than 20 feet :open_mouth: :open_mouth: - goes blurred if more distance :frowning:

BUT :smiley: :smiley: - left eye more than perfect so it compensates for it

Both eyes open and no difference from someone with 2 good eyes - proved that many times :wink:

Now the weird bit - I need to wear a corrective lens in rigth eye only if I cannot see the right mirror in a LGV with the left eye from the normal driving position - weird or what :exclamation: :exclamation:

Hi all, just an uptdate got a medical questionare off DVLA re. eyesight ive filled it in and sent it back, got a phone call off them the other day telling me that what ever my uncorrected worse eye is it has to go on the medical form, normally this would be a fail, they will then send me another form to fill in and will have to get who i work for to say i am driving class 1 regular, they have told me i will get grandfather rights with my eyesight, I did tell them i got some glasses made up and can reach the current standard with them just incase, but no needed hgv now but i will need them for Taxi medical as that is a group 2 also.
So with that everything is great, been worrying about this for months, they did say it will take a bit longer to renew this time but next medicals will be straight forward.

An update Rog and every one else, took medical very early september, Doc wasnt very happy about me taking medical without wearing glasses(doesnt understand grandfather rights) DVLA tell me i only have to reach eye sight standard which was required in 1988, any way she put results down on med form and i sent it off, since then had another form off DVLA asking about experience, and wether i have had any accidents in the last 10 years which were caused by eyesight(non) and what driving i have done in last 18 months(3 days over last 6 months is minimum)
Sent that off 3 weeks ago and still waiting renewal, but confident i will get it back.
(took eyesight test at current standards for taxi(same as HGV) wearing glasses and struggled but passed)
I will let you know when i get my licence back, but i dont know any drivers that have gone this route to renew, dont think i will pass eyesight test in 5 years though, so maybe then will be time to retire lol.

I don’t think I have noticed this thread in the past, I went for my medical about 6 years ago, failed miserably and went to opticians. While I was there I mentioned the HGV medical, the guy got his books out and checked me again. He said there is not a problem for my licence. DVLA revoked my licence and sent another one in the same post with a clause to wear correction when driving, pain in the arse on a motorbike but I passed my last medical without a mention, the correction clause is still on my licence though.

If there are any more problems on this issue then contact DVLA and ask them for one of their approved opticians near to you and do the test there.

Well its all good news, even though it took a while, spoke to dvla today re. HGV licence they have informed me i have gained grandfather rights regarding my eyesight, ie passing medical without wearing corrective lenses, it was alot of hassle but worth it in the end, not recieved the licence yet but told me they had posted it out 28th october can blame postman pat for that one they are gonna send out another 1st class.
So if any one is in the same position, it can be done…

NICE ONE :smiley: :smiley: