Fuel/safe driving bonus tips please

I am starting a new job soon. There is a bonus scheme for fuel saving and safe driving. I would like to achieve this bonus as every penny helps, and wanted some tips please. I assume this involves smooth driving, staying in the Eco range on gauge, and not braking heavily? Any other tips to getting a good score?

all of the above plus dont leave it idling and use the retarder /exhaust break and the best tip is try to keep it rolling where possible as trucks use more fuel when moving from a standing start so good forward planing is a great help

Keep the truck rolling when approaching lights or junctions even if it’s only a couple of mph it’ll help as there’s nothing worse than a standing start especially when heavy.Use eco roll and engine brake or retarder whenever possible.

yep, my DHL trainer told me that a standing start might be as expensive as going up hill. Also use cc as much as possible and anticipation so you don’t have to stop completely, keep it rolling

Keep the revs under control (easier said than done with some autoboxes) and don’t overspeed, harsh brakes are a bugger but don’t be tempted to risk running a red light due to the bloody scoreboard, and it can get you like that if you let it.

Excellent thanks everyone. I never would have thought of some of those!

also if you want to avoid over reving try changing manually

alternatively, attend and complete the DCPC course Fuel & Efficiency ' and get a free booklet reference and 7hrs added to your future DCPC record :wink: hth , If you ask nicely , I can copy and paste apersonal reference note book ’ edition of the one similar i had given when I attended :wink: :grimacing:
and post it here for ALL to see if the Mods ' dont mind (and providing that theres no copyright issues) , OR, i can send it you via pm , :wink:
You could try licking as(s0 p` and get one of the newest motors on the fleet that are regularly serviced, that helps too :unamused:

Cruise control set just under the limiter.

Don’t floor the go peddle either…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you are in a position to try not to tip near schools when the little brats are going in or being released.Avoid congestion if possible.

What truck will you be driving?

Muckaway:
Cruise control set just under the limiter.

agreed , if cruise control can be set at 56 it is banging on the limiter all the time… knock it back to 55 and you will save fuel… and you won’t really notice any speed difference…

All the above have it covered.

I always try not to use my brakes at all - this encourages me to take my foot off the throttle sooner and most modern trucks use no fuel at all if the throttle is closed.

Use the exhaust brake/retarder where possible - this saves fuel as none will be used and saves on the service brakes. Use the gearbox for slowing - drop the gears to bring the rev counter into the (usually blue) engine braking zone. As long as the foot is off the throttle this will be using no fuel.

If you are driving different trucks each day, don’t"brim" the tank at the end of shift. Leave a 2 inch gap. That way when tomorrow’s driver fills up you’ll get a few mpg on them.

To slow down; lift off accelerator/cruise control for 5 seconds, then on break/retarder for 5 seconds, then roll for 5 seconds, then break/retarder for 5 seconds, and so on.
That’s how you get a good score with scanias, daf’s needs to be 10 seconds each, don’t know about volvo’s.

Jezuz!!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

yellowasp:
Jezuz!!!

Do those fish symbols save fuel?

Yes… It’s the aerodynamic shape

yellowasp:
Yes… It’s the aerodynamic shape

That’s good, the environmentalists wont get cross. :wink: