Fuel protesters

David hanlon has said that the government has got until the end of the week to reduce the tax on fuel or action will be taken.
A poll this morning showed that 78% of those who voted were in support of action.
What do you think is most likely to get the best results?

I for one will not protest on behalf of employers, unless we as employee’s get something as part of the bargain.

I will start my demands for truckers

A minimum wage for truck drivers, starting at £7 for class 2 and £8 for class 1 per hour with time and 1/2 after 8 and all brakes paid!

Any protest needs to be something other than a “Truckers” campaign, many differnt groups use fuel as part of there buisness, but only farmers & bus operators get a fuel rebate.
Make it a fuel protest & target labour contoled area’s, it takes very few extra vehicles, when driven slowly, to bring a city to a stand still.
But make it a “Truckers” issue & you watch Tony get the T & G to support him at the exspense of its members, as he did last time.

i agree with alan if only truckers van drivers take part it gets us know where,because as they were going to do before they will get the army in.

now if joe public decide that they arn’t going to drive there cars in to work today and arn’t even going into work thensome one might listen.

i heard on the radio last night that fuel in some places as gone up to the £1 a litre mark.

jon

jonboy:
i agree with alan if only truckers van drivers take part it gets us know where,because as they were going to do before they will get the army in.
(sic)

jon

Dont agree with you mate the Army cannot do our job! :open_mouth:
the fact is the army nowerdays use truckers to move them! :open_mouth:

I personaly couldnt give a hoots about the cost of Fuel. This is not a truckers problem we have enough of our own. lets sort our own out before we start putting the wrongs of this country right, lets see if the public support us before we start supporting them!

quote by critic:

Dont agree with you mate the Army cannot do our job!
the fact is the army nowerdays use truckers to move them!

i was on about moving the fuel if they decide to blockade the fuel depot’s again.

wasn’t the goverment supposed to be training squaddies up to do the job last time around

jon

Yes mate I see what you are saying

But if truckers walk out Fuel will be of no use because , no point in going to work if they is nothing to work on, No point of going to the shops if they is nothing to buy,
We as truckers keep UK Plc going, we should realise the power we have and use it to improve our lot.
Fuel protests should be done by the people who pay for it, why should we do the dirty work for them?

i agree with johnboy it should not be just trucks that protest, cars use fuel as we all do, so do motorbikes, boats, go karts, etc. why should trucks have to do all the dirty work? we then get more bad names than what we have already, everybody should chip in and do there bit to protest, even the mums on the school run?

welcome to TruckNet heyup

i see you have been here a while lerking so to speak :smiley:

keep on posting buddie

jon

thanks jonboy, been here for a while yes, i was here before the change over but have been lying in wait? i read the forums most days im home. will continue to get some posts up again,

jonboy:
now if joe public decide that they arn’t going to drive there cars in to work today and arn’t even going into work thensome one might listen.

Agreed 100%, all motorists are being robbed lets face it, and if even 50% of those millions of fuel consumers protested in some way as you suggest, or even a letter, the govt would have to do something, they live only for votes!

There’s supposed to be a protest this weekend in Wales. Being just over the river from me, I intend joining in. Anyone have details of it? There’s said to be a 200 truck demo, and a rally after, and similar events in Newcastle and Edinburgh. Interesting that such things are almost being advertised on the BBC :smiley: .

Some labour minister apparantly said that fuel protestors “Do not believe in democracy”. Excuse me, but democracy includes the right to protest things we disagree with.

Thecritic:
I for one will not protest on behalf of employers, unless we as employee’s get something as part of the bargain.

Why protest? Because some of us like the people we work for, especially small hauliers which are the ones which go to the wall, Ok small hauliers can’t always match the pay and conditions of the big boys, but you get treated like a person who knows his job, not another statistic in the accounts.
During the last strike I know drivers who went on the blockades, they were are asked by their boss if they wouldn’t mind and he also didn’t expect them to do it for free they got pay and night out money the same as if they had been working normally.
Actually it not the price of fuel thats the problem, its the lack of a level playing field across Europe which means UK hauliers lose out on work.

Every day the government rakes in millions in tax from fuel at the pumps. Do what they do here. A few one day fuel strikes will hit them hard. Just one day with no one buying at the forecort will cost them millions.

I know you may think that you will still need the fuel but even buying it a day earlier or later has an impact. It would be the 24 hours with no revenue that would sbock them. :open_mouth:

I am in total agreement with thecritic. We as drivers do have the final word if there is SOLIDARITY amongst us. I believe that if every trucker had one long weekend off i.e friday to monday. Watch the whole economic infrastructure start to crumble. Yes there are other modes of transport, cars, buses, coaches etc. but who delivers the fuel to them? Paycheques, giros, invoices, estimates, parcels etc, who delivers them? Busy housewives shopping, weekend DIYers, who delivers the groceries and the hardware??
The powers that be and some drivers fail to realise quite how important we really are and that if we wanted to be awkward we could bring this country to its knees.

muckles:
Why protest? Because some of us like the people we work for, especially small hauliers which are the ones which go to the wall, Ok small hauliers can’t always match the pay and conditions of the big boys, but you get treated like a person who knows his job, not another statistic in the accounts.
During the last strike I know drivers who went on the blockades, they were are asked by their boss if they wouldn’t mind and he also didn’t expect them to do it for free they got pay and night out money the same as if they had been working normally.
Actually it not the price of fuel thats the problem, its the lack of a level playing field across Europe which means UK hauliers lose out on work.

Why should we mere driver protest on behalf of our employers?

When most wont even pay to park their truck up at night?
When most expect their drivers to work the hours their arnt prepared to?
When most will not pay a rate that their would work for?
When the H&S of their employee’s become second to the profit of their truck?
When some WANT the WTD because their will not have to pay for waiting times?
When some do not want the WTD because their cannot pay their drivers a living wage on 48 hour week or less?
When drivers are 10 a penny to them?
When you are treated by them as a number?

Sorry I must of missed something!
I will protest on behalf of my fellow drivers and with them for a good standard of living and good working conditions. If the transport industry dont like the price of fuel let them sort it out!

I also work for a small Transport company I like my boss and my working conditions! :open_mouth: but too many of my fellow drivers are being took for (your only a truck driver) I for one am prepaired to stand up for this industry and all its Key workers if your not you should hang your head in shame! just my opinion!
Thatcher really got to too many in this country!- the me-me-me brigade will one day require our help…lets just hope its wont be to late!

During the last blockades, I was talking to an independant petrol station owner. He said that whilst he could understand the demands of the farmers and the truckers, it didn’t help him and others like him. If the fuel strike had continued another week, he would have been put out of business and eight people would have lost their jobs !

He suggested an alternative method of protesting that would have made the government listen - block all the ports and airports. Let nothing in or out and completely isolate the country. How would the government get around that ?

There only seems to be the media that is saying that there will be fuel blockades - when you listen to the people in the know they are just saying there will be action by the end o fthe week - they have not said what action - but the media - like three years ago - are changing words and putting their own slant on things.
Good idea to stop anything coming in or going out.
Is it true that RDC’s will be targetted? after all how many truckers like going into these places anyway - surely they should be targetted for just making everyones life a misery!!!
Those on here that are employed drivers - surely if your bosses and their company were able to get better rates etc then it would be sensible that you might then get better pay and terms and conditions. When the bosses are fighting against foreign truckers who can do the job for cheaper - due to the huge taxes paid in this country - then it does affect you.
Do you think your boss is horrible to you just for the fun of it■■?
Ok so maybe he is!!!
The government announced this week that it will cost more to set up and collect the system that was announced after the last protests - that would make foreign truckers pay to use our roads - than they will get in. Aren’t they missing the point somewhere■■?
I was going to say make your vote count in the next elections - but are any of them better than the others?

Owner Drivers:
Those on here that are employed drivers - surely if your bosses and their company were able to get better rates etc then it would be sensible that you might then get better pay and terms and conditions. quote]

Lets see the colour of the money 1st before we are once again mugged by the industry !
Employed drivers should protest if we see a end product that improves employed drivers conditions!! if not sod them!!

Thecritic:
Why should we mere driver protest on behalf of our employers?

When most wont even pay to park their truck up at night?
When most expect their drivers to work the hours their arnt prepared to?
When most will not pay a rate that their would work for?
When the H&S of their employee’s become second to the profit of their truck?
When some WANT the WTD because their will not have to pay for waiting times?
When some do not want the WTD because their cannot pay their drivers a living wage on 48 hour week or less?
When drivers are 10 a penny to them?
When you are treated by them as a number?

Sorry I must of missed something!
I will protest on behalf of my fellow drivers and with them for a good standard of living and good working conditions. If the transport industry dont like the price of fuel let them sort it out!

I also work for a small Transport company I like my boss and my working conditions! :open_mouth: but too many of my fellow drivers are being took for (your only a truck driver) I for one am prepaired to stand up for this industry and all its Key workers if your not you should hang your head in shame! just my opinion!
Thatcher really got to too many in this country!- the me-me-me brigade will one day require our help…lets just hope its wont be to late!

What about if your employer did pay your parking fees,
Worked all hours and was on the end of the phone at 2 in the morning and then would be in his car to bring the parts required out to you.
Will pay higher that the local rate and then goes up the road on a weekend himself when a last minute job comes in.
and treats you like a professional, will listern to you, although won’t always agree with you, and even makes you coffee when you go into the office at the end of the week.
Small hauliers can’t control rates therefore they are at the mercy of what the big firms charge. So blaming them for drivers pay is wrong. I know what the rates are for the work he was doing and could work out what was left after Fuel and wages. It isn’t alot Ok so he has a nice house and 2 cars and a motorbike, but so do most of the drivers and why shouldn’t he make a bit of money for himself. and before you ask why I’m not working for him now. I left the area for other reasons.
If drivers want to protest to improve thier lot I’ll be there, but as I’m finding out now they won’t even stick together with an overtime ban in the same company to get things sorted, so we stand “bleep” chance of getting enough drivers to down tools or only work 40hours to make the country stand up listen to our problems. :frowning: