Fuel gauge on mercedes actros

So yesterday,only had a short run,2 hours driving and the last driver hadnt refuelled,but it was nearly a third of the tank so I didnt bother refeulling.But once I got on the road,I noticed the gauge going down quicker than expected and also,the range,that was going down 4 or 5 km for every mile I drove.After some calculations in my head,at that rate,I realised it would only be 150 km range left by the time I get back.Got really stressed,never going to take the chance again.Imagine running oit of diesel,…
Anyway,dont trust that range info,it doesnt seem accurate to me.Ive got a feeling the last one to refuel it only filled one tank…

Where’s the other tank?

I would budget on a 1/4 of a tank a day with my single 400 litre tank

Sploom:
.Imagine running oit of diesel,…

I don’t need to imagine it, we used to have a driver who did that once, and then admitted that’s why he’d been sacked from his last job too. Need I say he’s someone else’s problem now?

You’re not paying for the fuel, fill her up before you head out, unless there’s some stupid company policy about not leaving trucks filled overnight. :unamused: Depends where it is parked obviously.

stu675:
Where’s the other tank?

I can honestly say I’ve never done a day’s driving that would fit that bill. Even the relatively localised bin wagon/kerbside recycling would get through more than 100 litres a day

Zac_A:

stu675:
Where’s the other tank?

I can honestly say I’ve never done a day’s driving that would fit that bill. Even the relatively localised bin wagon/kerbside recycling would get through more than 100 litres a day

This year I’ve averaged 466 Km per day. At 13 mpg that is 101 litres per day. What am I doing wrong?

Sploom:
.Got really stressed,never going to take the chance again.Imagine running oit of diesel,…

So you admit you actually ‘took the chance’ of running out, and imply you were actually prepared to. :unamused:
Why the stress?
I know you shouldn’t have to do this…,but tbf it was your fault for not checking properly before you went out of the gate…so why not just put 25 quid worth in out of your own pocket to ensure you got back with no drama,.and get re.imbursed for it? :bulb:

Surely that is the best of two evils rather than running out and making a complete ■■■■ of yourself in the process.

Ffs :unamused:

Why do I get the urge to continuously bang my.swede against a brick wall when I read some stuff on here. :unamused:

robroy:

Sploom:
.Got really stressed,never going to take the chance again.Imagine running oit of diesel,…

So you admit you actually ‘took the chance’ of running out, and imply you were actually prepared to. :unamused:
Why the stress?
I know you shouldn’t have to do this…,but tbf it was your fault for not checking properly before you went out of the gate…so why not just put 25 quid worth in out of your own pocket to ensure you got back with no drama,.and get re.imbursed for it? :bulb:

Surely that is the best of two evils rather than running out and making a complete [zb] of yourself in the process.

Why do I get the urge to continuously bang my.swede against a brick wall when I read some stuff on here. :unamused:

That’s around 15 litres or 3 gallons in old money, not going to get you far especially if there’s a hill of any sorts, it’ll all run to the back of the tank and cough cough splutter splutter.

robroy:

Sploom:

Why the stress?

Surely that is the best of two evils rather than running out and making a complete [zb] of yourself in the process.

wallbash.gif

cav551:

robroy:

Sploom:

Why the stress?

That’s around 15 litres or 3 gallons in old money, not going to get you far especially if there’s a hill of any sorts, it’ll all run to the back of the tank and cough cough splutter splutter.

Ok you’ve took me literally then. :neutral_face:
I’ll try again…

‘So why not put in however much you need to ensure you get back’. :bulb:

There ya go. ftfy :neutral_face:
Now where’s that wall gone. :smiley:

SHORT RUN ! = planner’s got his spanner ready to throw in to your works = fill up you’re gonna need it :wink:

I got back to the yard one Fri evening with the dash showing <50 :open_mouth:

Once while I was on agency I ended up doing brewery work with a second-man, who was long-term agency with the brewery, so he thought he was “in charge” of the work :unamused:

Mid-morning Wednesday of my first week I asked him where the fuel card was.
“In me pocket, what do you want it for?” (WTF…?)
Me “Well I though thought I might push the boat out and refuel the wagon”
Him “We only ever fill up on Friday”
Me “Except we’re on a quarter of a tank so I don’t care what you usually do”

Short version, I asked him if he’d put it in writing that he was responsible if we ran out of fuel, he refused, I pulled into a lay-by and said either he handed over the fuel card or he would be lucky to get back home in time for supper, never mind teatime, because I wasn’t going to risk running out of fuel so he’d be walking the rest of the way.

He begrudgingly handed over the card and sulked all the way back to the yard because fuelling-up would cut into our job-and-knock :laughing: FFS, we were paid until 4pm but were done everyday by 1pm. And don’t get me started on this guy’s abilities as a banksman, they were even worse than the fuelling up ideas :imp:

Yes,I was going to £50 in,but I wanted to avoid this because then,they want ti know why I didnt fill up before I started.I had this situation in my last job when I nearly ran out of adblue!

I’m sure ad blue and fuel levels are part of the standard walkaround checks, I can’t help wondering what else you’re not doing :laughing:

Zac_A:
I’m sure ad blue and fuel levels are part of the standard walkaround checks, I can’t help wondering what else you’re not doing :laughing:

He’ll be fine, he has faith doncha know?

Sploom:
Yes,I was going to £50 in,but I wanted to avoid this because then,they want ti know why I didnt fill up before I started.I had this situation in my last job when I nearly ran out of adblue!

Ffs man, so it aint the first time then. :unamused:
Ok…being embarrased for all of 2 minutes while you tell him you SHOULD have checked prior to leaving, is far better than ringing into say you’ve ran out in the most unsuitable place possible, …because you can sure as hell bet that is where it will happen !

the maoster:

Zac_A:

He’ll be fine, he has faith doncha know?

You gotta have faith.

:laughing: :laughing:

youtu.be/6Cs3Pvmmv0E

Its not the 2nd time either.I nearly ran out of deisel working for initial citylink.I was looking for an esso station to get free fuel vouchers.It was down to the bottom of the red by time I stopped!
This was years ago when I first passed my test.
Im more careful now.

I think most places,if you run out of deisel,you’ll be down the road…

Sploom:
Im more careful now

Yeh?
I’d argue with that one.

Zac_A:

Im alright with the walkaround checks.But somè drivers at our place leave units with no oil,too much oil,no adblue ,no diesel,warning lights not reported.
I think Im one of the better ones!
I remember at citylink,once ,they allocated me a unit,semi auto merc,and the driver had just left it with the engine running and in first gear,vibrating,honest…