Fuel gauge on mercedes actros

During the fuel shortage I had a squeeky bum moment. Running around North Norfolk with only Shell or BP cards to use. Every garage I went to no fuel. Miles left gage on the dash showed 9 miles left untill empty when I stumbled on a small backyard garage with diesel left. Luckily we have company credit cards to pay for truck parking and any tools we need to do the job so filled her up. The feeling of having a full tank was a goodun!

Yes,I know that feeling!

msgyorkie:
During the fuel shortage I had a squeeky bum moment. Running around North Norfolk with only Shell or BP cards to use. Every garage I went to no fuel. Miles left gage on the dash showed 9 miles left untill empty when I stumbled on a small backyard garage with diesel left. Luckily we have company credit cards to pay for truck parking and any tools we need to do the job so filled her up. The feeling of having a full tank was a goodun!

When I worked at Brits we had to ring the depot at Belgium if we needed diesel in UK…they always allowed you the bare minimum.

I was on my way to the Hull boat and was told I’d have enough in when I requested .
.I texted back saying ‘Ok fine, but I’ll txt you when I run out’ which done the trick, but told to put in something stupid like 10 litres. :unamused:

Got to Hull on fumes, to be told to go up on the upper decks,.which was just what I needed. :unamused: …you guessed it, fuel wouldn’t lift and it started spluttering at bottom of ramp. :open_mouth:

Had a full tank of red in the kooi/Moffett and 2x5litre cans spares …all red,.so put it all in the tank.
Got a bit of stick holding up the queue, but did not let it phase me, but was throwing a lot of …‘ffs just f…wait 5 minutes’ around, put the spare fuel in and took a run at the ramp,.and got up there… :laughing:
My popularity was pretty low that evening. :laughing:

Don’t even look at the range display personally. Once Dafs get to half a tank the needle drops considerably quicker than it does from a brimmed tank (in my experience anyway). Common sense to know you have enough fuel I.e… how heavy is your trailer, what route you’re taking…
Learned my lesson pushing my motorbike to the petrol station, never chanced it since on bike, car, truck lol

Three things in life a lorry driver should never trust; a forkie, a ■■■■ and a fuel gauge.

Yes,I think the problem we might have at our place,some drivers only fill one tank,Im not sure what effect that has on the range display

Sploom:
Yes,I think the problem we might have at our place,some drivers only fill one tank,Im not sure what effect that has on the range display

none on the range display. range is based on recent fuel consumption. if the driver before has just ran back empty on the motorway getting high fuel its going to show a longer range than once the lorry gets loaded and average fuel consumption starts going down so will the expected range

just depends what tank they actually fuel and how big they are. also makes a difference if its the feeder tank or the main tank. as the main tank shouldn’t back fuel back into the feeder. I remember being told that if you wanted to brim it then to fuel the main tank first (was always the smaller one) then the feeder tank next