Frozen Washer Jets - De-ice?

Hi guys, stupid question but whats the knack to melting the washer jet pipes on Scanias then ? I poured boiling kettle on both rails saturday am at 8am and they remained frozen up all day still. Seems beyond a joke on a new truck.

stronger screenwash

What he said!

If the truck has washer jets in the wiper arms, then when in cold periods just pull the rubber pipe from the jet/nozzle and just leave to dangle, they are much less likely to freeze up and your windscreen will at least get screenwash on when required.

Concentrated screen wash (not the ready mixed crap) in straight.

A tad of meths in the washer bottle used to help :wink:

if all else fails, as it often does, stop and chuck water or snow on your windscreen. you would think that they would be able to overcome this issue by now :unamused:

its the badge on front it should read volvo

I imagine that if a truck is serviced by a main dealer then it will get the exact same service mid-Winter as it gets in mid-Summer.

You’d think you’d get heated washer bottles or heated screens by now when you blow 70k+ on a motor. :unamused:

Volvos do by the sound of it.

My 1st Sed Atky was a sod for both freezing up and losing washer bottles. I moved it to the passenger footwell, which worked brilliantly but found out later that it wasn’t legal :unamused:

renaultman:
My 1st Sed Atky was a sod for both freezing up and losing washer bottles. I moved it to the passenger footwell, which worked brilliantly but found out later that it wasn’t legal :unamused:

whys that■■?, a lot of old bedfords had the washer bottle in the passenger footwell.

tobytyke:
Hi guys, stupid question but whats the knack to melting the washer jet pipes on Scanias then ? I poured boiling kettle on both rails saturday am at 8am and they remained frozen up all day still. Seems beyond a joke on a new truck.

i just use a screen wash and antifreeze mixture.

renaultman:

Moxy dumptrucks (bloody awful things) used to have their coldstart additives in a cylinder in the cab. I’ve known drivers get overcome when the seals used to break-caused by the God awful ride these things were notorious for. Thankfully, komatzu have taken them over and the Frog designs have been scrapped…

Muckaway:

renaultman:

Moxy dumptrucks (bloody awful things) used to have their coldstart additives in a cylinder in the cab. I’ve known drivers get overcome when the seals used to break-caused by the God awful ride these things were notorious for. Thankfully, komatzu have taken them over and the Frog designs have been scrapped…

I used to love the smell of easy start :smiley:

renaultman:

Muckaway:

renaultman:

I used to love the smell of easy start :smiley:

An ex shovel driver used to sniff the stuff. You knew when he had as he’d be wetting himself while loading, and the weights’d be well off target! :laughing:

We explored this thread a few weeks ago the answer is pure screenwash, if its undiluted it doesn’t freeze.My old scania with the washers on the wipers works perfectly. Unfortunately most firms are to tight to stand the cost and waste money by diluting the mix.

ask philberg AKA… cpt CHUBBS, he may let you into his little secret esp if you offer him a cpl of pies as well he will tell you how to stop the water freezing up and its simple :wink:

globby 480:
ask philberg AKA… cpt CHUBBS, he may let you into his little secret esp if you offer him a cpl of pies as well he will tell you how to stop the water freezing up and its simple :wink:

I can imagine :laughing:

Just wondered what the VOSA take on frozen washers would be.?