Frozen Washer Jets - De-ice?

renaultman:

globby 480:
ask philberg AKA… cpt CHUBBS, he may let you into his little secret esp if you offer him a cpl of pies as well he will tell you how to stop the water freezing up and its simple :wink:

I can imagine :laughing:

no its a gen thing, and not peeeeeeeeeeeeing over them either :grimacing:

tobytyke:
Hi guys, stupid question but whats the knack to melting the washer jet pipes on Scanias then ?

A gallon of unleaded and a lit match should do the trick :grimacing:

dont know why manufacturers dont run the pipes through the cab to top of the window then the heat from the cab would keep the pipes clear n the jets should be the type off a vovlo car that spray the whole window.

They could have low voltage heaters through the wiper arms worked off a thermostat that are only active when the ambiant is below 2*c, and a heater belt round the screenwash bottle. Or how much heat is generated and then lost from that big lump under the floor. A simple metal bar to conduct heat from the manifold that slid in the centre of the washer bottle could maybe keep it from freezing.

NB12:
They could have low voltage heaters through the wiper arms worked off a thermostat that are only active when the ambiant is below 2*c, and a heater belt round the screenwash bottle. Or how much heat is generated and then lost from that big lump under the floor. A simple metal bar to conduct heat from the manifold that slid in the centre of the washer bottle could maybe keep it from freezing.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t just run an extra coolant hose in through or around the washer bottle, you’re trying to get rid of the heat anyway so you may aswell use it. If the washer bottle is warm then when the pump is active the hot water should melt through any blockages in the hoses or jets if the rising heat from the fluid in the bottle hasn’t already. Obviously you don’t want really hot water getting sprayed onto cracked or chipped windscreens but make it so that the fluid reaches 20 or 30 degrees and it’d be fine

You can obviously use neat screenwash but as mentioned it’s expensive and no hauliers will do it, even the recommended mix for -20 or so still freezes because the washer hoses and jets are subject to windchill which makes things worse.

Or a feature on the pump that ■■■■■ the water back out of the tubes and into the tank after each use of the wash/wipe, that will keep them clear, then just have something that keeps the water in the tank warm.

I’ve had several BMW’s dating from the mid eighties that have had heated washer jets, the problem then is if theres no cold weather wash in the water and its really subzero, it just freezes on contact with the windscreen, and then just for good measure the wipers go and smear it all across the swept area of the screen giving a visibility score of zilch :open_mouth: so they still need a little additive :wink:

Heated screen?, fords have had them for over 10years, at first its like looking at a funny honeycomb blur but you soon get used to it.

I always try to keep screenwash with alcohol in the bottle all year round, it helps shift bugs and flies as well as protecting the nozzles, pipework and pump from freezing. Even in summertime it can be 30 degrees on the flat and at freezing point up to and through the Blanc :bulb:

NB12:
Heated screen?, fords have had them for over 10years, at first its like looking at a funny honeycomb blur but you soon get used to it.

My Mondeo Ghia X (97) has heated screen AND Heated washer jets…heating element defrosts 'em when u put heated front screen on…finish work, start car, press 3 buttons (2 for both screens/mirrors and 1 for heated seat) have ■■■, shoot off, leaving the ‘jam rolls’ scraping all the glass on their 40k Volvo’s :smiley: . Think the old Dodges had the bottle in the passenger footwell. Slightly off line abit, but have any ‘M’ series Scanny drivers had the misfortune off having the throttle cable freeze in the ‘wide open’ position?? The cable used to run behind the Scania logo’d drop down grill and was pretty much open to the elements. A good few years back we had 5 or 6 all within 5 mins of getting on the A34 Abingdon…pulled in to 1st layby (revving its nuts off) and phoned in, told to head for Scania Didcot…made for an interesting drive on an icy road :open_mouth: Caused by moisture in the pipe that had frozen solid but was movable with a heavy foot but wouldn’t return when realeased…told it would be ok to carry on after fitter had defrosted it but we refused as it would probably freeze again before hitting Cheiveley (sp) roundabout so new cables all round. Not good when you’ve been holding the ciggy lighter in to pop the limiter :laughing:

scanny77:
you would think that they would be able to overcome this issue by now :unamused:

They did, years ago, and it’s called screenwash! :unamused: :unamused:

Putting concentrate sreenwash in, you lot must be loaded!!! :laughing:

merc0447:

At the last two “Foreign” companies I worked, we had 4 IBC stood on pallets, Premixed Screenwash, Radiator Coolant, Engine Oil and Hydraulic Oil. we were trusted enough to keep our own trucks serviceable without needing a skilled mechanic, they did keep the IBC’s topped up at the right consistency though.

Wheel Nut:

merc0447:

At the last two “Foreign” companies I worked, we had 4 IBC stood on pallets, Premixed Screenwash, Radiator Coolant, Engine Oil and Hydraulic Oil. we were trusted enough to keep our own trucks serviceable without needing a skilled mechanic, they did keep the IBC’s topped up at the right consistency though.

Same at my place Malc, I got in tonight, 4 gals of neat screenwash, a couple of gals of oil and two gals of ready mixed coolant added to my side locker ready for the next trip, I had used my oil and coolant when I had an oil cooler go boss eyed on me, it was blowing a mixture of the two from the overflow so needed a bit of topping up to get me to a garage to get her fixed, back on the road within 24hrs, $1100 for the repair and $120 for my hotel for night and I get paid for the lost day too :sunglasses:

In all my time driving it’s the first place I’ve worked at that operates in this way though, some firms had SFA and if you handed in a receipt you got laughed at, I never lasted long at those jobs, most would pay for it if you bought some out on the road, but none ever provided it :unamused:

NB12:

Nearer 20 Years Sierra’s had them

S80RTE:

NB12:

Nearer 20 Years Sierra’s had them

My Cossie had a heated screen, that was 87 on an E, it’d be 23yrs old now, man do I miss that car :cry: although heated side windows would’ve been useful too, it spent a lot of time on opposite lock :sunglasses:

get yourself down to a local supermarket (polish) and find the cheapest bottle of vodka you can find (about £4 is the cheapest ive found) and for every litre of water put 2 shots of it in the washer tank, keeps it from freezing and if you need a drink after a hard day its in the side locker!

scanny77:
if all else fails, as it often does, stop and chuck water or snow on your windscreen. you would think that they would be able to overcome this issue by now :unamused:

They have for Saab cars (their sister company), by simply routing the water round part of the engine, it provides hot or warm water to the screen wash. Draw your own conclusions, truck drivers? second class citizens? :unamused:

HIya …don,t you find with heated screens the salt makes the screen white and you still need water to get rid of the salt
its one of those problems that screenwash is the only way out. Also if you get stopped with no washers it,ll cost you in finds
frozen or not.
John