Front wheel blow out

I was just wondering how many drivers have had a front wheel blow out, because my son drives for a very big haulage company, and the begining of this week he had a front nearside supersingle blow out on the a1 southbound fully loaded wagon and drag with a load of building blocks on 44 tons. He was pulled into n/s crash barrier couldnt do anything about it, it damaged the wheel and a bit of suspension he was on limit for that road so i think he was lucky.anyway in the meantime he was due to get a new truck, so he went down to the main depot to pick it up, while he was getting his gear into the cab a suit appeared and wanted to know why he has damaged his other vehicle, my son told him he had a blow out. But the knobhead suit said thats impossble it couldnt happen on a front wheel, then walked away.so i was wondering how many drivers on here have had one, i did but it was a few years ago.because i think the suit is going to take it further so if you lads could give us the info we can just let the suit know that its not impossble to have a front wheel blowout, much appreciated. Royhebb

you know what this does, yes?

Never had one, but was doing a trunk to Runcorn following another driver his front n/s tyre blew out a few miles south of Charnock Richard, it took the front steps out, and a brake component.

. or better still,
contact a commercial tyre company and ask them to support the evidence.
Get the info` direct from a reliable professional body .

The `suit’ is clearly a twwatt who knows naff all about the Transport industry and whats related.

Show him this video :

i’v had 2 in 20 years and yes it scares the crap out of you, the suit dont know what he is talking about.

ME and it was on a tyre that was only 3 days old. i was driving into Barstable as i stopped at a zedbra crossing
Bang off it went front drivers side and fully loaded…tell this suit to ring Tideswells at Kingsley S O T
about blow outs…i am not saying any names…one saturday morning the lads was sitting having a brew.
one chap was sitting on a brad new tyre fitted an hour earlier enjoying his tea. BANG the wall blew out
right where he was sitting…the wheel had never turned once…the chap was in hospital quite a while…
no jokes please it was nt funny for him.
John

Yes your right its no joke, but thanks for the replies, also good idea to get some info from tyre fitters on call outs, i want my son to have as much info as possible, then ram it down the suits throat :smiley: :smiley: best not mention the firm but they are getting bigger & bigger, you see them as much as eddie whatsisface… blue motors :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

My TGX had a front n/s go on the M6, last year on the night trunk, driver ran over some debris, wasn’t going too fast & he managed to stop it, but it took the spray flap out & damaged the wheel arch, about £400 worth (I was nearly crying when I saw it next morning, I’d only had the wagon 6 months) they put a Continental on, replacing a Michelin (Grrrr).

Saw an artic parked up just past J1-M6 Northbound during the week with an Offside Front Flat, looked like the tyre was still on, so he’d either managed to stop in time or it had been soft & he felt it before it blew.

I have a front tyre blow out, 6 months off work, 2 weeks in hospital, smashed ankle, broken leg in 2 places, exposed knee cap, 2 cracked ribs and broken wrist. So yes your son was lucky.

Super Volvo (once upon a time)(1).jpg

My dad had one on f n/s and like you your son, it pulled him into crash barrier, from 1st lane on M6 back in 80’s. Unfortunately no seatbelt. You can guess the rest. Apparently it was a tyre imported from germany, not made for our roads but I’m not sure if that is a fact.

royhebb2:
Yes your right its no joke, but thanks for the replies, also good idea to get some info from tyre fitters on call outs, i want my son to have as much info as possible, then ram it down the suits throat :smiley: :smiley: best not mention the firm but they are getting bigger & bigger, you see them as much as eddie whatsisface… blue motors :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Not malcom group by any chance.

A tyre fitter told me last year that tyres can be faulty even when new. I had one blow as I was parking in the services and he took one look at the way it was shredded and said it would’ve blown anyway I was very lucky to be off the A1 when it happened :open_mouth:
It was only a few weeks old and the fitter at work had a moan down the phone at me like I’d made it blow up at 5mph :unamused: when he saw it the next day he agreed it was a duff tyre.

Had one about 18 months ago,its like a bomb going off.Was on the A50 by Stoke,pulled me right across the carriageway towards the central reservation,managed to somehow get it back across and into a layby.Miracle that I never hit anyone,was night time rush hour and that patch luckily was quiet.Then had a trailer one go a week later.Only two in 15 years.

SEDriver:
you know what this does, yes?

I’ve clicked on it,but it doesn’t seem to do anything? Is the link not working perhaps?
Regards. John.

Had one n/s front as I tipped it into a roundabout (island for the brums) no speed on so not to much drama.

Scary though was the guy in lane two M25, his cab was a meter past me when his n/s front went with a bang! He went hard left leaving me the option of going er hard left and brake HARD!
We both come to a stand still on the hard shoulder and get out to survey the damage, poor guy was shaking some :slight_smile:

The suit is a dull head and should be told so.

Do we really need to say anymore than that the query came from a suit? They aren’t on the same planet as the rest of us.

I have had a couple go BANG at different times but, being on an eight legger, it didn’t affect the truck as much as one with a single steer axle would.

Pete.

Never had one personally but I’ve seen one go on a truck next to me. Half of these idiots that come out with carp like this can’t even drive a car never mind a 44t Artic

I had one a few weeks ago, I was on the A50, I was only doing about 40 so there was no real drama. I wouldn’t want one going much faster though :open_mouth:

Luckily only had the 1 in 20 years as a wagon driver. It was the front n/side, and i was on the motorway in France about 5 mins from the start of the ski slope. It certainly went with a loud bang, but i was quite lucky that although it shook around a fair bit it came to a stop without me hitting anything, (more luck than judgement.)