Front wheel blow out

Old but very true https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znCgvHMb-g

yep had a o/s front blow out luckily I was only doing 20 mph at the time, but was going round a tight left bend and it through me completely on the wrong side of the road luckily there was nothing coming the other way. The suit knows nothing!!!

I had a front O/S blow at 60 mph on the M1 in 1970 in the early hours of a Saturday morning. Good job the road was quiet as i ended up on the opposite hard shoulder .This was in the days before the central barrier was installed between Jct 11 and Toddington. When the Police arrived i was shaking like a leaf . They helped me fit the spare wheel [no callouts in those days] and stopped the traffic to get me back on the northbound lane .I was driving a Dodge 4 wheeler with 10 tons of animal feed on the back . Never had another front tyre go on me since

Had f/n/s blow out on a LHD Scania 500 topliner going thru France about 2000 one night just on the 500 metre marker for services when it blew it dragged me into the second lane luckily nothing was over taking me ! Had to slowly run into services for call out !!! If at home and that had happened who knows what accident may of occured . In the lap of the gods !

In an old Bedford TK, no power steering either. Got it onto the hard shoulder then wondered how I could change my underpants!

I had a front offside go a few weeks ago coming off the A303 just before the M3 where the road turns to the left, was a 385/22.5, turns out it was a non steer tyre.

Had offside blowout on the A38 when I was overtaking a truck near Fradley Park near the Jet service station. Put on indicators, slowly pulled over to the left and gently braked onto the hatch area in front of the services. Other than the bang, no fuss, no drama.

I reckon its when you hit the brakes in panic you get a problem.

puntabrava:
I had a front offside go a few weeks ago coming off the A303 just before the M3 where the road turns to the left, was a 385/22.5, turns out it was a non steer tyre.

Probably still more likely to be caused by a slow rather than the incorrect tyre being fitted though.

Conor:
Had offside blowout on the A38 when I was overtaking a truck near Fradley Park near the Jet service station. Put on indicators, slowly pulled over to the left and gently braked onto the hatch area in front of the services. Other than the bang, no fuss, no drama.

Or maybe you’re an actual gift from god to the lorry driving world.

Have you considered that?

Similar to your son, just before Christmas, in a wagon and drag at 44 ton on M20 doing 56 on cruise control. Offside front super single 385/65.
Think being on cruise control may have helped, as per the above video, as the truck stayed in a reasonably straight line until I started gently braking and pulled onto the hard shoulder. Only damage was to the plastic trim around the wheel arch and a dislodged air pipe. The traffic around me was on the ball as one minute I was in the middle of a busy motorway, next minute it was empty with everything behind me, they obviously realised what was going on. Certainly pushed the old heart rate up somewhat!!

Conor:

i had a front n/s blow out on the motorway going to immingham a few years back with a loaded lift tank of flammable stuff. i hadn’t been driving long and the bang frightened the life out of me.
i just coasted along onto the hard shoulder. i sort of knew that it’d be daft to brake. it’s strange when things like that happen and you’d think you would panic but i was quite calm. unusual because i’m a natural worrier.

no but saw one
on the M62 E
to what is now M60 N

sweeper1gg:

royhebb2:
Yes your right its no joke, but thanks for the replies, also good idea to get some info from tyre fitters on call outs, i want my son to have as much info as possible, then ram it down the suits throat :smiley: :smiley: best not mention the firm but they are getting bigger & bigger, you see them as much as eddie whatsisface… blue motors :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Not malcom group by any chance.

no i cant really say ,dont want to get him in trouble, but its a lighter blue and a lot further south :smiley:

sweeper1gg:

royhebb2:
Yes your right its no joke, but thanks for the replies, also good idea to get some info from tyre fitters on call outs, i want my son to have as much info as possible, then ram it down the suits throat :smiley: :smiley: best not mention the firm but they are getting bigger & bigger, you see them as much as eddie whatsisface… blue motors :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Not malcom group by any chance.

Talking of Malcolms and tyres , about seven years ago I did agency work for them out of Crick doing nights for a couple of months.
On two occasions I was given trucks with baldy tyres on the rear axle and when I say baldy I meen total slicks. I handed the keys back and got different trucks.
I know another driver that refused one truck with a baldy tyre and it was given to someone else to drive from the Crick depo to there depo near Haydock (they had a workshop there) to be replaced, this driver risked three penalty points .
These trucks where total junk and I am suprised they get away with running them.

Frightening thing to happen, the suit involved is an idiot but that’s hardly news in our industry.

I’ve had a very rapid front wheel deflation after lost steel debris came out from under the lorry in front at limiter speed and put a massive hole in the middle of the tread, tyre went down in about 20 seconds, empty car transporter but the rapid increase in pull to the left was quite shocking.
Loads of trailer and drive axle blow outs on tippers over the years.

My mate however had a full instant blow out on a Volvo FM cabbed car transporter, fully loaded, unstable enough combo when all the tyres were up as those who’ve seen them tail wagging the dog will know.
This happened on the then contraflow near Toddington during the reworking of the road about 3/4 years ago, he managed to hold it straight and brought it to a halt without damage, he thought nothing of it but impressed the hell out of me.

Had a front o/s blow out on a Big J, 60 ft trombone trailer, no power steering, on the M4 back in 1977, ended up going out to the 3rd land and back to the hard shoulder, no others involved, had to collect the split rims up from the centre verge, oh and I was loaded. Coppers pulled up, his first words were,‘‘I bet you SH** yourself’’, tyre company came out and put a remould on, which I wasn’t happy about, so I phoned from the next services and they sent me another unit out, an atki, so I continued on to Antwerp.

I don’t know if many people know this, but in the film Convoy, where the White Brockway driven by Widow Woman overturns, this, so I read in a film magazine was the result of a front tyre blow out and did overture for real, if you watch closely you can see the tyre let go.

So far just the one, and that was way back in 1984, offside front wheel on my F88 en route to Dover one Sunday afternoon. Had plenty go on trailers though, especially step frame tilts with the smaller wheels.

Thanks to everybody for the input

Been following this thread all week, then bugger me, coming down the M6 this afternoon I passed two artics on the hard shoulder with o/s front tyre blowouts within ten miles of each other! Luckily they’d both made it onto the hard shoulder.

I had one on my 13t cargo horsebox at 60, it pulled me right over into the middle lane but luckily it was 3 in the morning so the m/way was quiet. Dread to think what would have happened if it was busy…