Fridge unit parking etiquette

I know fridge units are noisy, I sleep right beside it after all, but where should I be parking it? As far away from you lot as possible, or do you not mind too much if I pitch up right beside you?

I’d rather not wake up in the morning to find someone has turned the cooler off!

Thats a good call i dont know i have just started agency work and looks like i will be going down south next week with one so i would like to know aswell

Just park on hard shoulder under bridge on motorway (m25) ,you’ll probally get johnnynforeigner creating cause you’ve nicked his parking space,but you’ll not get anyone creating cause you’ve woke them up with the din of you’re fridge.

Look for other fridges away from non fridges and turn your motor to constant instead of on demand. A continuous noise is easier to block than an intermittent one.

As said look for other fridges and park with them. If 1st one, then away from others.

MY advice. Others may disagree

If frozen, run constant till bedtime, then switch off overnight.

I wont turn off but i will look for others and tortoise my fridge unit

If you are paying to park somewhere then you are entitled to park it wherever you want to put it.

Ideally with a fridge I would try and park away from other fridges as the collective hum would be deafening… :wink:
Usually other drivers will accept the situation and at worst have a bit of banter with you but there are a few that get stroppy and may even turn your fridge off during the night, rare but something to watch for.

Me I usually nod off nicely with a gentle humming by the side of me (reminds me of the missus ■■■■■■■ in her sleep) and am too knackered to care anyway.

Good to see that you keep your fridge on as some turn them off which I would never do, load responsibility etc

If possible I always park in an empty area of a truck stop/services, then it’s upto you if you park next to me, if there isn’t any room to do this, I’ll head towards other reefers, firstly ones that are switched on and finally ones that aren’t, if there isn’t any space around them I’ll park up next to anyone.

If you nose into a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ if your late parking up your fridge unit will be at other drivers back doors, this minimises the noise effect from the reefer, it’s not perfect but at least it shows you have tried to think of others when parking up.

At different times of the year I’ll do different things too, like in this weather you HAVE to have the fridge running in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb you don’t for anything +4> - 0.

It also matters how good your trailer condition is, if it’s a new reefer with good seals it’s going to keep that cold air in for a long time, if you’ve got a battered 12 year old Grey and Adams with the door seals hanging off its going to get warm PDQ.

Also were told to keep our fridges on permanent and many of them are locked onto this, I find it easier to sleep when a reefer is on constant rather than stop/start.

Thetaff2:
If you are paying to park somewhere then you are entitled to park it wherever you want to put it.

Yes you’re right Taff but out of politeness I’ll try and park out the way whenever possible. I’d never turn my fridge off mind you

Just do not do the same as a guy at Reading Services did to me a few years ago. I had parked up for the night and was just about to go to sleep when a fridge reversed in next to me, would not normally cause me a problem but when he dropped his trailer then parked his unit at the other side of the truck park that was not on! When he came back to check his trailer 8 hours later he could not understand why the fridge had been switched off :open_mouth:
(Not me sir!)

In a small services close to me with 8 truck parking spaces 4 of them have hook-ups for fridges, do these get used and is the fridge much quieter with them?

Martin:
Just do not do the same as a guy at Reading Services did to me a few years ago. I had parked up for the night and was just about to go to sleep when a fridge reversed in next to me, would not normally cause me a problem but when he dropped his trailer then parked his unit at the other side of the truck park that was not on! When he came back to check his trailer 8 hours later he could not understand why the fridge had been switched off :open_mouth:
(Not me sir!)

In a small services close to me with 8 truck parking spaces 4 of them have hook-ups for fridges, do these get used and is the fridge much quieter with them?

I have had to drop mine in the past for someone else to come and collect it, I did it in Gordano, I got some right dodgy looks from people around, the trailer was taken about an hour later, delivery done and then dropped back off at Gordano later on in the night for me to continue onto Cornwall. It’s not always a selfish reason why someone would drop it and drive to a different part of the services.

The electric hook ups are a lot quieter! However most either don’t work, have curtainsiders parked in them, or charge extra for the privilege.

dozy:
Just park on hard shoulder under bridge on motorway (m25) ,you’ll probally get johnnynforeigner creating cause you’ve nicked his parking space.

Haha! Brilliant!! :smiley:

Now and then I pull reefer container with genset slung o top/front, these tend to be very very noisey.
So out of consideration I avoid msa parking.
Some times there is no option though, did wake one morning in cherwell to see the four guys each side had dropped trailers and [zb] off :sunglasses:

Dipper_Dave:
Good to see that you keep your fridge on as some turn them off which I would never do, load responsibility etc

Now I know why the milk from our local Spar always go off before it’s use by date…
:confused: :frowning: :angry:

bald bloke:

Thetaff2:

Yes you’re right Taff but out of politeness I’ll try and park out the way whenever possible. I’d never turn my fridge off mind you

I don’t tend to park in Msa’s as my boss won’t pay for parking but if I park in a truck stop with it running I do tend to park out of the way too.

Btw BB I’m not in Y111 anymore I’m in T222 now in the new shaped ones. :wink:

Thetaff2:

Yeh, Too right mate! Why bother trying to be considerate to other drivers, when you can be a complete arse instead :unamused:

When I was on fridges I always tried park away from non-reefers whenever possible,…paying or not :unamused:

robroy:

Thetaff2:

Yeh, Too right mate! Why bother trying to be considerate to other drivers, when you can be a complete arse instead :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!!

The trailers are 4-5 year old Cargobull’s in decent condition. Seems to have trouble keeping the load at +3 in this heat though.

I’ll try and find other reefers to park up with and switch the unit to constant. Might mean I sleep better too.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thetaff2:

bald bloke:

Thetaff2:

I don’t tend to park in Msa’s as my boss won’t pay for parking but if I park in a truck stop with it running I do tend to park out of the way too.

Btw BB I’m not in Y111 anymore I’m in T222 now in the new shaped ones. :wink:

Oh okay then what’s her name ? Think I seen you Friday somewhere then, do you like the new ones ?.